Author Topic: Wunderground or "Virtual Outdoor "  (Read 227 times)

Offline nirgal

Wunderground or "Virtual Outdoor "
« on: September 29, 2017, 05:50:21 am »
Hello,

I am new to Vera (VeraPlus) and have a few ruller shutters , and relays ( for fans ).
I was looking for a plugin which check the weather, I saw two options while searching the apps:
Wunderground Weather Plugin
Virtual Outdoor Temperature Plugin

I would like to create scenes based on the temp / rain ..

what are the difference between the two ? any recommendation ?

Thanks,
Nir

Offline Priest

Re: Wunderground or "Virtual Outdoor "
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:34:19 am »
For an example of what you see in the dashboard from the wunderground app.... see the attached picture.  It actually gives you even more information than that in the text of what it captures from them, and all of it can be used as triggers or part of logic to do actions.  I'm only doing some simple things right now with the information mine receives, but I have plans to expand the logic with the use of another app in Vera called PLEG. I know some guys are adjusting lighting that was just responding to day/night, to now also take into account cloudy, rain, or snow as sky darkening conditions. One guy I remember is using it to trigger his driveway heater for de-icing.

I have no experience with Virtual Outdoor, so I have no information.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:22:11 pm »
I echo Priest's recommendation of Weatherunderground and PLEG.  With PLEG, you can get pretty detailed and not get too lost in the logic. 

Here is my set up that looks at the sky conditions to turn on/off exterior lights. Clear - sunset/sunrise. If cloudy, offset 15 minutes. If rainy, offset 30 minutes.

I even use it to set heat/cool mode on my thermostat.  Perfect for the fall when you cool during the afternoon and possibly heat during the early morning.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline nirgal

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:21:14 am »
First, thanks for both answers, I have installed the Wunderground plugin.
I understand the location is taken from the Vera setting , is this correct ?
I see different temperature from the Vera dashboard (top right) and the plugin , can I change the plugin weather station ?

Second, is there a way to change the icon to be more colorful ?

Thanks,
Nir Gal

Offline jswim788

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:43:22 am »
I see different temperature from the Vera dashboard (top right) and the plugin , can I change the plugin weather station ?
Yes, you can change the station.  The Wunderground plugin has a "Location".  This can be your latitude/longitude, but it can also be a State/City, a zip code, or a specific weather station name.  Look for the various formats on this page: https://serbian.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/docs?d=data/index where the 'query' is described.

Offline Priest

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:31:40 am »
The guy that lives behind me has a station, I set my app to LAT and LON so that I hit his station instead of doing it by zip code where I would get one 6 miles from here on the other side of a ridge.  His station gives me everything I need.

I have a tablet with Imperihome running that displays the information from wunderground as well as other status and controls.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 11:33:03 am »
I use the Lat/Long for my personal weather station, the same I used when I registered the weather station.
If my weather station ever goes down ... it reverts the nearest station in my neighborhood ... about 3 miles away.