Author Topic: Need to find a relatively inexpensive Vera+ compatible thermostat  (Read 202 times)

Offline leedavidr

I am running 1.7.2935.

Looking at the Vera shopping website, it indicates that the GoControl thermostat is compatible with Vera, but I have seen one thread indicating problems with that thermostat in terms of compatibility with Vera.

In addition in John M's Play nice list, the Ecobee thermostat is listed as compatible with Vera using a plug-in.  However it didn't specify which of the Ecobee thermostats: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,48527.0.html.

I am interested in finding a thermostat for $100-150 (or less) that is just a thermostat (I am not trying to get tremendous energy savings using this thermostat).  I just want to be able to control it in a vacation home when I am away, switching it from AC to heating and back, and changing the temperature parameters from afar when guests visit our vacation home.

Please let me know if you are using one that works well for you in this way and at this price point.  Thanks.

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
Re: Need to find a relatively inexpensive Vera+ compatible thermostat
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 05:46:16 pm »
You could build your own for less if you use a ZUNO.
What you want to accomplish is very easy as there is already FW on the ZUNO site and only requires a sensor plus ZUNO.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:01 am »
I was looking for something to install and use without needing to write code at all.  I am not very sophisticated concerning this stuff.  I will probably go with the GoControl z wave thermostat sold on the Vera website (slightly better price than Amazon and with free shipping: $79.xx.

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:32:12 pm »
An ecobee lite might be the best choice if you do not need to control a humidifier or other secondary HVAC device.

I don't like z-wave thermostats. I replaced mine with ecobee.

If you are in the U.S. check your utilities for thermostat rebates. My electrical utility provides $100/thermostat.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »
I recommend the RTS ct101,commonly available at Lowe's rebadged as the Iris zwave thermostat. It's usually under $75 and can run for a year or two in AA batteries or via c-wire.

It's an easy to use 7 day thermostat that plays nice with ui5 and ui7.