Author Topic: GE/Jasco dimmer switches  (Read 302 times)

Offline kdschlosser

GE/Jasco dimmer switches
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:20:51 pm »
Over the past few years I have gone back and forth with the support staff about the GE/Jasco dimmer switches. These switches coupled with the Vera would turn my house into a light show around 2AM every morning. and in the switches there are settings to adjust the speed of the ramping for when you turn the light on and off from the switch it's self and when a ZWave command is sent to it. well the switches would jump to the % you set it to when turning the lights up not ramping at all when sent a command from the Vera. GE/Jasco stated the flashing and ramping problems is with the Vera. and the support staff at Vera claimed it was the firmware on the switch. Leaving me and many many others with product that does not work properly and the 2 companies pointing fingers. Well after about the 5th time of the Vera just crashing on me for no reason other then simply logging into the thing (and I have a very minimal number of plugins and a small number of lights) I finally broke down and purchased a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 USB dongle.

And low and behold... No more disco show in my house at 2 AM and the ramping works properly.... With this new news i went and got a GE remote keypad. which turns out was a ZWave controller as well. and with that controlling some of the lights, No disco show and the ramping works properly.. So that's 2 for 2. I think that the people over at Vera need to re evaluate their trouble shooting process. because this has been an outstanding issue for 4 years (with me) and as it turns out it's the Vera that's the problem.

To my knowledge the GE/Jasco switches are the only ones that allow for independent changing of the ramp speed based on manual use or ZWave command. this specific feature is  very handy when you want to dim and raise your lights in a media room when you play and stop a movie but you want the switches to act normally when pressed manually.

FYI Vera controller crashed yet again for no reason other then logging in.

Offline kartcon

Re: GE/Jasco dimmer switches
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:33:33 pm »
kdschlosser,

I have about a dozen of the GE/Jasco switches and have always wanted to control the ramp rates but was under the impression it was not an available feature. Would you mind sharing the method you used to set or control the ramp rates? That aside, I can say with certainty that I have not experienced the issues you noted in the original posting, but would be glad to follow up if the ramp rate code somehow similarly affects my system. Regardless, Im happy that your system is more stable now hope you are willing to share some code with the list. Thank you.

kartcon

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:30:18 pm »
To my knowledge the GE/Jasco switches are the only ones that allow for independent changing of the ramp speed based on manual use or ZWave command. this specific feature is  very handy when you want to dim and raise your lights in a media room when you play and stop a movie but you want the switches to act normally when pressed manually.

I upgraded all my older GE switches (were not instant status like the new z-wave plus ones are) to HomeSeer switches. They not only have seperate ramp rates but double tap triple tap and other features. So there is definitely other switches that have separate ramp rates.

Ge did have firmware issues and older GE's lack instant status.

HomeSeer switches are firmware upgraded able unlike 90% of the others and GE's.

I also jumped From Vera some time ago after issues started to pile up.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:32:21 pm »
I have about a dozen of the GE/Jasco switches and have always wanted to control the ramp rates but was under the impression it was not an available feature. Would you mind sharing the method you used to set or control the ramp rates?

If you read the GE manual or google the manual for the model you have you will find the permeters you need to adjust to change ramp rate.

I think this will help you but reading the manual for your specific modle would be a better decision.

1.. When Receiving a Z-Wave Dim Command
? Parameter 7 (number of steps or levels)
? Parameter 8 (timing of the steps)
? Length: 1 Byte
? Valid Values:
Parameter 7 (default = 1) Valid Values: 1-99
Parameter 8 (default = 3) Valid Values: 1-255

Manual Control Dimming (pressing the Dimmer?s rocker)
? Parameter 9 (number of steps or levels)
? Parameter 10 (timing of the steps)
? Length: 1 Byte
? Valid Values:
Parameter 9 (default = 1) Valid Values: 1-99 Parameter 10 (default = 3) Valid Values: 1-255

Offline kdschlosser

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 01:51:36 am »
well seeing as how I now have them working. I am in no big rush to change them at this point.

I get instant responses from my switches <1 second. I coded up my own control software using openzwave. There are a lot of PC based HA apps that use this same thing. but for some reason they all have the same issue of > 1 minute updates. I think it is because of how they are interfacing with openzwave. Even the vera gets instant updates. so long as you are not using the UI to see these changes. If you used the REST API on the vera and ran a polling loop to request any new data. you will always get the update at the very least 2 seconds before the UI does a lot of times it's closer to a minute ahead of seeing a change in the UI. The problem there is how the UI is written UI& i am referring to. UI5 wasn't all that bad. the vera goes on special ed rampages for no reason. when it has been running fine for a month. you change nothing.. and it will completely go all to hell. I know there was an issue with really cheap memory in the vera 3. and this is the likely cause of a lot of the issues with it but you will not hear this from Mios. Just to flash the thing when it soft bricks is a really batty process. I may as well be standing on my head and running in a circle at the same time.