Author Topic: Geofencing 2 Phones - Part 2  (Read 423 times)

Offline additude

Geofencing 2 Phones - Part 2
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:38 am »
I have upgraded both my Vera controllers to the latest firmware.

I have a controller at Home and I have a controller at Work.

I have two phones, an iPhone and an OPPO.

The iPhone is connected via Verizon LTE and WiFi and the OPPO is connected only via WiFi. The OPPO has no wireless carrier.

The phones mostly operate between the two locations which are approximately 1 mile apart.

Home, which has WiFi and a Geofence and Work, which also has WiFi but has no Geofence enabled and both the OPPO and the iPhone connect via WiFi when at either of these locations.

I set up two separate accounts via the mios interface with my laptop and the iPhone and OPPO seperately log in with the Vera app, the iPhone which is the "admin" and on the OPPO which is a "user".

Geofencing is enabled on the Home Controller via my laptop interface thru Dashboard->Modes->Set House Mode.. Both are Checked. Timing is 1 second to change Modes and 30 seconds for sensor detection.

The Work controller is not enabled for Set House Modes......

With both phones, Geofencing is enabled as well as set house mode in the Vera app. Both phones have the same Geofence name, set to 100 Radius, Notify and This is my home are also checked.

The only single Geofence is around the Home Controller.

Yesterday we did an experiment with the OPPO and we found out that it is not required to be connected to any signal source like LTE or WiFi in order for the GPS Tracking to work. We watched the locator accurately track us on a 3 mile journey around some neighborhoods and highways.

When we arrived inside the Geofence at "Home", the iPhone reported Entering the Geofence, and the OPPO alerted that it did not have an internet connection; I'm assuming the OPPO was trying to report it's position to the mios interface, but failed the connection.

Once we were inside the Geofence radius and the OPPO was able to establish a connection to the Home WiFi, the alert disappeared from the OPPO, but the status of the controller stayed the same in "Home" mode because it never changed to "Away" mode, even though both phones were located outside the Geofence and had WiFi connections.

So, the problem is that I can change the mode from "Away" to "Home" but I cannot change the mode from "Home" to "Away" unless we do it manually.

Now I have to test it...

At work with both phones. Home Controller is in Home Mode, I relocate both phones together into the Home Geofence at the same time. The iPhone alerts, Enter Home Geofence, the OPPO phone alerts, No Internet Connection which is correct, inside the Geofence but not close enough to pick up the WiFi signal.

As I leave and return to the Work Controller the iPhone alerts Exiting Geofence and OPPO remains unconnected until we arrive at the Work location and the OPPO picks up the Work WiFi, now both phones are on Work WiFi.

The Home Controller did not change to Away Mode.

At the Work location, I manually set the Home controller to Away Mode via my laptop and the mios relay interface.

Next step, I leave the OPPO at the Work location connected to the WiFi and I take the iPhone to the Home Geofence. The Home Controller stays in Away Mode. I then return to the Work location and this time I turn off the iPhone and leave it at Work and I take the OPPO to the Home Geofence and close enough to get WiFi.

When the OPPO connects, the Away Mode changes to Home Mode.

I leave the Home Geofence with the OPPO and it alerts that there is no internet connection. When I arrive back at Work, the OPPO connects to the WiFi and the Home Controller continues to stay in Home Mode.

I power up the iPhone and the Home Controller still stays Home Mode. Both phones are outside the Geofence. I once again manually put the Home Controller in Away Mode via the mios relay interface.

Now I take both phones from the Work location to the Home Geofence and as expected, the Home Controller switches into Home Mode.

So far, my only conclusion is that I cannot get the Home Controller to switch from Home Mode to Away Mode.

Today or tomorrow I will test trying to get the Home Controller to switch into Away mode with one or both phones.

So far that's where I am at.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:28:34 pm »
I believe you will need internet connectivity for the Oppo phone application to send change value to your vera home controller at the time of triggering the enter or exit geofence value. If it does not have access to the internet at the time of trigger it will not re-try when it gains access to the internet (my observations only). Best test would be to add a SIM card with internet access to the OPPo and test but even once the manual testing works i have found that Oppo phones running color OS are not the best devices to rely on application running in the background and there are many complaints on how Oppo phones aggresively kill background apps to save battery causing people to miss vital data/messages etc. You can read below ( i am yet to test the manual steps listed in the below thread to see if the vera app will saty running in the backgrouup and replor enter/exit after several hours reliably like the iphones do)
http://community.oppo.com/en/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=46941
Edit: it seems after this post was made the English Oppo support site listed above has been shut down....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:40:26 pm by PrincessCleavage »

Offline additude

Re: Geofencing 2 Phones - Part 2
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:06:20 am »
Well,
Things are still not working properly.

I was also thinking along those lines PrincessCleavage but I changed my thoughts after this.

Yesterday I had the OPPO and iPhone at work, but the internet at Home was down. I took the iPhone Home and rebooted the router and the Home Controller and everything came back online with internet connectivity.

I returned to Work with the iPhone and when I left the Geofence, I received notice on my iPhone of exiting the Geofence and the Home Controller set itself to Away mode. This was with the OPPO connected at Work and the iPhone exiting the Home Geofence (after reboot).

When I returned to work, I waited for around 30 minutes, then I took the OPPO back Home leaving the iPhone at Work. Upon leaving the Work WiFi, the OPPO reported no internet connection as expected.

When I arrived at the Home Wifi, the OPPO connected with the WiFi and the Home Controller switched to Home Mode! This is with the iPhone at the Work location and the OPPO entering the Home Geofence after being disconnected from WiFi.

All the time, keeping the OPPO alive and the Vera App Screen active. Not that I know, but that I might suspect that could be a consideration.

So I spent about 15 minutes at the Home location, with the OPPO and then I left for the Work location, fully anticipating the Home Controller to now switch to Away Mode when the OPPO re-established the WiFi connection at Work. Just like it did switching to Home Mode when it entered the Geofence, I thought the Home Controller would switch to Away Mode.

However, when I arrived at Work and established an internet connection, the Home Controller remained in Home Mode.

I checked both phones locations on the Geofence map and both phones showed they were located outside the Geofence, yet the Home Controller was in Home Mode.

I have always been consistently successful changing the Home Controller from Away Mode to Home Mode with the OPPO, but inconsistent with changing from Home Mode to Away Mode.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:21:29 am »

Hello there,

I suggest trying the new firmware update both for Vera and mobile platforms.

It fixes a few stubborn bugs Geofence related and you should see improvements.

If you have any issues you have to report don't hesitate to reach our support team.

Full release notes here: https://goo.gl/tWmLQV

Thanks
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline additude

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:14:03 am »
Hi,

Thanks.

I am in the process of upgrading to the latest firmware. I just received notice of an upgrade. So I will upgrade everything and carry on.

When I get all my "testing" done and recorded and if things haven't changed, I'll contact support with a symptom list that they can digest.

Offline additude

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:44:17 am »
Now, both controllers are upgraded to 1.7.3232 and there was a new release of the Vera App that just happened and both phones are upgraded with the new app.

So lets see what happens now...

Offline additude

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:15:59 am »
Over the last few days with the new updates/upgrades installed, I have not seen any appreciable improvements in switching from Home/Away.

I can consistently get the controller to switch from Away to Home with either phone entering the Geofence, but the controller will not switch from Home to Away mode when both phones are outside the Geofence.

So now I am going to operate only one phone at a time with a Geofence and see if the phones will operate independently with Geofence enabled on only one or the other.

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:11 am »

Hello there,

I suggest trying the new firmware update both for Vera and mobile platforms.

It fixes a few stubborn bugs Geofence related and you should see improvements.

If you have any issues you have to report don't hesitate to reach our support team.

Full release notes here: https://goo.gl/tWmLQV

Thanks
I must report that this update looks promising:-)!
I have only had a chance to perform 2 tests with iPhone and Oppo phone out of home boundary and in home boundary and both times changed to away and changed to home, worked as expected! Quite excited that it looks like this function might actually now be working, I will perform more testing.
From my simple observations it looks like the vera app (or vera server) may now report in (or server request pull update) multiple times when out of the set home boundary e.g I had both phones out of the home boundary and away mode was triggered, I then manually changed to home mode and within 5mins the system auto changed to away mode again:-)
Where as I think the old logic only triggered a change of modes when devices entered or exit through the geo boundary so now there seems to be a big improvement with the new logic!

Offline additude

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 04:49:07 am »
I've fully updated both controllers and both phone apps.

I even took Geofencing off the iPhone and left it only on the OPPO phone.

I can still only consistently get the OPPO phone to switch the controller from Away to Home but it will not switch the controller from Home to Away.

...and now the OPPO is the only phone using Geofence.

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 07:09:19 am »
I've fully updated both controllers and both phone apps.

I even took Geofencing off the iPhone and left it only on the OPPO phone.

I can still only consistently get the OPPO phone to switch the controller from Away to Home but it will not switch the controller from Home to Away.

...and now the OPPO is the only phone using Geofence.
Is the vera account for the Oppo an admin on both of your controllers? I think this is required for geo fence to work correctly

Offline Rillekille

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 04:22:43 pm »
Having the exactly same problem...

When coming home geofence sets the house mode to Home but when leaving it doesn't set house mode to Away.
But I do get a alert saying that I have exited the geofence...

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 09:40:28 pm »

When coming home geofence sets the house mode to Home but when leaving it doesn't set house mode to Away.
Are you running firmware V 1.7.3231
? Also check apps on your phones are updated and all accounts for geo fence are vera admin accounts

Offline additude

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 06:14:16 am »
On the iPhone is Admin and on the OPPO is User.

I have 1.7.3232   on both controllers.

Ill also try changing the OPPO to Admin...

Offline Rillekille

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 06:43:13 am »

Are you running firmware V 1.7.3231
? Also check apps on your phones are updated and all accounts for geo fence are vera admin accounts

Hi!

Running latest firmware 1.7.32332 and latest version of Vera on my phone.
Having a Nexus 6P with latest version of Android on it and my account is admin.

Geofencing worked like a charm up until maybe 5-6 weeks ago when suddenly Away mode stopped to be set eventhough the Vera app sent a notice on the phone that I exited my geofence.

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 07:45:25 am »
Are you guys able to perform a test to confirm if geo fence logic has changed plz?
When outside of your home boundary with all devices and away mode is set, manually change vera to home mode and give it 5mins or so and see if it auto changes back to away mode?