Author Topic: UI7 PlugIn Icons missing  (Read 302 times)

Offline kartcon

UI7 PlugIn Icons missing
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:29 pm »
Recently my new Vera Secure has failed to display the icon for newly installed plug-ins. Not every new addition, but several that worked on UI5 no longer work in UI7. The following plug-ins have NO icon in the DEVICES tab:
Weather Underground
Event Watcher
System Monitor
and today DataMine.

Other recent plug ins display their icons without issue, such as PLEG, Push Notifications and Day or Night. Anyone have any idea what might be the cause? Obviously not life or death since the plug ins DO WORK, but still very frustrating that the dashboard and devices tab show no icon at all.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
Re: UI7 PlugIn Icons missing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:54 am »
Icons are poorly designed in Vera .... They either always require an Internet connection, or they do not work correctly correctly with remote access.

Offline additude

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:10 am »
I agree, the icons need some work.

You can edit the .json file for each item/device that is missing an icon.

You'll need to point the code to an http location on the web that is a 50pix by 50pix image.

If you don't have a place to store files on the web then you can't view the icons because the controller won't let you put icons on it and display them.

Not that I have found anyways. But I haven't tried in a few years, maybe things have changed.

I just point to an http://.../icon.image
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline morgi23

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:16:45 pm »
I agree, the icons need some work.

You can edit the .json file for each item/device that is missing an icon.

You'll need to point the code to an http location on the web that is a 50pix by 50pix image.

If you don't have a place to store files on the web then you can't view the icons because the controller won't let you put icons on it and display them.

Not that I have found anyways. But I haven't tried in a few years, maybe things have changed.

I just point to an http://.../icon.image
Hi,
Can you please explain where exactly the picture link should be entered in the .json file

Offline additude

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:52:28 am »
Open the .json file with a text editor and look for references to the icons... like "default_icon": "binary_light_default.png", as an example.

Sometimes you'll find code like "state_icons": [ ....

and there will be references to "subcategory_num": 3 (example)

If you want to create new icons you can add new "subcatagor_num" by copy and pasting other "state_icons" code and referencing a new icon location and changing the "subcategory_num" to one that isn't used in the code.

This doesn't work all the time though... it depends on the devices and what .json code they are using, but for the typical "on or off" devices I've added switches, sirens, water faucet (open/closed), fan (on/off).

It can be a bit tricky, if you don't have some coding experience. You need to know what your copying and pasting between the (perens)...
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline morgi23

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »
Thanks!
I don't have any coding experience but I will give it a try

Offline additude

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 04:56:08 am »
It can be complicated.

Save a copy of the file so if things get messed up you still have a working copy / file of the code that you can replace with.