Author Topic: I just upgraded to 1.7.3232 from .3015  (Read 368 times)

Offline additude

I just upgraded to 1.7.3232 from .3015
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:34 am »
I just upgraded two controllers from 1.7.3015 to 1.7.3232 and the upgrade completed seamlessly on 2 Vera-Plus controllers.

One of the controllers was experiencing a "Controller Cannot Go Into Learn Mode" problem that appears to have resolved itself with the Upgrade.

Although I tried "adding a device" remotely and didn't have a device to add, the controller didn't tell me that it can't go into learn mode like before.

Yes, I did enable the header notifications.

So when I get home, I'm going to try and add a new device.

If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline Wekurtz74

Re: I just upgraded to 1.7.3232 from .3015
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:16:06 am »
My installation went well initially, but I am now getting an increase in restarts.  Is anyone else seeing this?  I haven't pulled the log yet, but I was wondering if I am alone here.  Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline additude

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:51:55 am »
I haven't noticed any restarts on either of my controllers.

I do not have a lot of devices... 10 or 12 on each controller.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:59:02 pm »
I decided to approach this a bit scientifically, and wrote an outside script to monitor Luup restarts to get a real count over time, just a cut above casual observation. I'm on 3232 (Vera Plus), with 7 restarts in the last 8 hours and counting, with the closest two being just 17 minutes apart. Nothing other than normal usage--nobody in the UI (I'm the only person in the house that knows how to get to it and use it), no configuration changes, just the usual turn on and off of lights (manually) here and there by the family. No PLEG in this configuration (plugin not even installed).

I guess that's not awful, by Vera standards, but it's also not great--why any at all?
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, SiteSensor, and Auto Virtual Thermostat plugins. Using Vera Plus (1.7.3232), Vera3 (1.7.855), 50 dimmers and 40 switches (mostly Leviton, some Linear and GE), a dozen sensors, a truckload of PLEG, and of course, my own plugins.

Offline ceefin

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:51:37 pm »
I have to agree. I monitor my own lua restarts by having an inet.wget call pull a php script on startup.

I've logged 55 restarts over the past week. Quite a few of those were from trying to re-add some door sensors that weren't cooperating, but I didn't do that 20 times.

for anyone interested, here's the PHP code I use to log it..

Code: [Select]
<?php

$log 
file(getcwd() . '/luup_restart.log');

$num_restarts count($log);

$log_handler fopen(getcwd() . '/luup_restart.log','a');

$string = ++$num_restarts ": " strftime("%c") . "\r\n";

fwrite($log_handler$string);

exit();
?>

Here's the lua code to pull it
Code: [Select]
local status, result = luup.inet.wget("http://<server>:<port>/luup_restart.php", 1) - luup_restart.php being the file the above code is in..

but I digress..

I'm frustrated by the luup restarts as well. It occasionally breaks the scenes that I have setup that span a longer period of time. A 45 minute, 4 stage light taper at sunset has gotten jammed at a lower level a couple times as a result.

Offline ranneman

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:43:05 am »
I just checked my latest log file for the past 10 hours and I do not have any restarts. In general I will have a restart every 5 days (assuming I' am not doing any work on scenes). This behavior hasn't changed with the latest upgrade for me.
Vera lite UI7 Europe, Vera Plus, Zwave.me switches/dimmers, Zwave.me plus multi switch, Fibaro switches and multi sensors, Everspring sensors motion, temp., humidity. Honeywell Evohome, Greenwave, Sonos, Brel shades, RFXCOM

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 06:15:59 am »
I'm frustrated by the luup restarts as well. It occasionally breaks the scenes that I have setup that span a longer period of time. A 45 minute, 4 stage light taper at sunset has gotten jammed at a lower level a couple times as a result.
You should switch to PLEG.
Even if Vera reboots ... delayed actions still are executed as expected.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 10:58:56 am »
PLEG is awesome, and that is certainly one of its greatest benefits. Unfortunately, that's not the only problem the spontaneous restarts create, first among them IMO is missing events from devices. While I've learned to shrug off (read grudgingly accept) the times when I head down the basement steps in the dark because Vera was busy restarting when the motion sensor tripped, my wife takes a more dim view (no pun intended) of these inconveniences, and she's a pretty high priority input to my decision-making. Still, I come from a background of hardware/software where anything that leads to a software restart, watchdog trigger, or loss of signal, is a full out five-alarm emergency to find and fix, right NOW. So like you, Richard, I go to great lengths in my plugins to make sure that those that need to care survive restarts gracefully and pick up where they left off, or at least do something sane and safe.

I don't see how Vera can hope to make any inroads into areas like security without significant increases in reliability, and that initiative should really be the lesser of their concerns. They are literally losing customers to lower-featured, more reliable platforms, as is frequently posted in these forums, and on more public and widely-read sites (e.g. Reddit). Philosophically, I believe it much worse in the customer's mind to have a feature that they can't make work reliably than it is to not have the feature at all. This is how Wink and ST end up as viable alternatives to Vera, plain and simple. You can only frustrate customers for so long before they begin to look for alternatives. All of these firmware releases that add support for this remote control and that colored light bulb are 100% "meh" to me, and frankly they're poison to both the running product and customer confidence when they inject bugs or regressions.

I'd love to see a "stable" firmware track with releases that only focus on quality improvement (no code changes other than peer-reviewed and tested fixes), and have that be the default track for which we get (optional) notices.
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, SiteSensor, and Auto Virtual Thermostat plugins. Using Vera Plus (1.7.3232), Vera3 (1.7.855), 50 dimmers and 40 switches (mostly Leviton, some Linear and GE), a dozen sensors, a truckload of PLEG, and of course, my own plugins.

Offline additude

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 12:09:32 pm »
I would tend to agree with you rigpapa and I then wonder if many and how may process, concepts, designs and architectures are untouchable because of patents and infringements.

Maybe there is not a viable fix available.....