Author Topic: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller  (Read 164184 times)

Offline blueman2

• Sr. Newbie
Re: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2018, 05:48:43 pm »
Mine shows V39 on both the controller and the remote. 

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #481 on: June 22, 2018, 07:55:20 am »
thanks!

Offline GWNorth

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #482 on: June 23, 2018, 03:07:34 am »
Intermatic has a GREAT product, if only they would allow it to be great!

If they don't 'allow' it to be great, then it isn't great. Providing a z-wave product without understanding what z-wave is for and how it is used is really pointless. For some reason, they chose to use z-wave as the protocol for communication between their hand-held remote and the main unit, but they never really intended that it play well with the rest of the z-wave universe, which was a massive mistake. Also, the form factor completely sucks. Who wants an exterior device mounted by a plastic bushing on top of an exterior electrical box, with no protection and physical stability for pressing the buttons on it, and no security for it from unwanted handling? It just totally misses the boat in so many ways. But I digress...

They have a firmware version 39 that allows full access to all functions of the PE653 by any z-wave controller.

When you say this, does it mean that one would have full control over the PE653's programming and control of a Pentair variable speed pump? Even when I had the PE653 fully paired with and accessible through my vera, I couldn't see any of the pump functions. It really was just a bad thermostat interface. 'Full access to all functions' would mean full control of the programmable pump, not just on and off. Please explain what you mean by 'full access to all functions'.

In my experience, the only way to control the pump was through the hand-held remote, and not through Vera. Are you saying that this firmware version 39 allows this?

But they have not released this version broadly, and will only install it themselves to avoid the firmware leaking publicly.

Why do they not want the firmware out in the public? This makes no sense. I've never heard of a company that didn't want the most up-to-date version of their software running on all of their devices. If this version of the software makes the unit live up to its potential, why not 'release it broadly' or have a program to get units already out in the field operating to their full potential?

It is this kind of craziness that results in people like myself being unable to recommend (or even use this damn device) and I have two of them!

Thank you for your contributions to this thread. The information so far has been greatly appreciated, even though very frustrating to hear.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:18:16 am by GWNorth »

Offline blueman2

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #483 on: June 23, 2018, 12:28:30 pm »
When you say this, does it mean that one would have full control over the PE653's programming and control of a Pentair variable speed pump? Even when I had the PE653 fully paired with and accessible through my vera, I couldn't see any of the pump functions. It really was just a bad thermostat interface. 'Full access to all functions' would mean full control of the programmable pump, not just on and off. Please explain what you mean by 'full access to all functions'.

In my experience, the only way to control the pump was through the hand-held remote, and not through Vera. Are you saying that this firmware version 39 allows this?

In Firmware v39, I have control over everything that can be done with the hand held device.   I can control:
 - turning on each of the 5 relays,
 - turning on each of the 4 speeds of the VSP,
 - what the VSP speeds should be (via z-wave parameters)
 - the schedule (on and off times) for the 5 relays and the 4 VSP speeds,
 - configuration parameters such as freeze control, temperature correction, use of 1 speed pump, 2 speed pump, pool cleaner, etc 
 - see current temperature for air, water, solar
 - set temp settings for Pool and Spa

Most are done via regular z-wave device but some settings are done via z-wave parameter settings.  I use an Insteon ISY to control it and have found there is nothing I cannot do via z-wave. 

There is really only one issue right now I have.  The Relays and Pump Speeds are not correctly updated on my ISY.  If I change a speed using the ISY, I see the change on my ISY.  But if I change speed using the remote control, it does not update on my ISY.  THe data is being sent by the PE653, but for some reason my ISY is not using the data.  The ISY team is working on a fix for this but not sure.  So what I do it poll the device every 5 minutes during the day to keep my ISY controller in synch.  So far, this has worked perfectly for me. 

Why do they not want the firmware out in the public? This makes no sense. I've never heard of a company that didn't want the most up-to-date version of their software running on all of their devices. If this version of the software makes the unit live up to its potential, why not 'release it broadly' or have a program to get units already out in the field operating to their full potential?

It is this kind of craziness that results in people like myself being unable to recommend (or even use this damn device) and I have two of them!

Thank you for your contributions to this thread. The information so far has been greatly appreciated, even though very frustrating to hear.

I really cannot speak for Intermatic, but I think they wanted to sell this firmware to people who manage properties (rental, hotels, etc) and did not want it to be a free upgrade.  So they made it so that you cannot do the upgrade yourself.  Must be done via JTAG interface inside the device. 

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #484 on: June 24, 2018, 08:17:35 am »
blueman,

do the stop/start and mode buttons on the pump work when the multiwave is controlling the pump? earlier versions locked out the pump's control panel which meant if the pool guy wanted to stop the pump he needed the remote. obviously not ideal so I gave up on that idea.

also, I have the variable flow pump and when the multiwave was controlling it you lost the flow rate control and were only able to set the speed. I was ok with this but iirc you also lost the built in safety features in the pump (blocked suction, run dry, etc.).

thanks again!

Offline blueman2

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #485 on: June 24, 2018, 11:54:38 am »
@dkeefe,

When the multiwave is controlling the pump, you are not able at access any of the options on the pump's panel.  That is true whether using Vera/ISY or not.  Also true if you are using Pentair's own control computers.  That is just the way it works when any external controller is managing the pump. 

HOWEVER, starting with V34, Intermatic added the ability to turn the VSP pump on and off using the buttons on the PE653 (the control panel of the Multiwave, not the remote control) so that pool maintenance people can turn on the VSP without the remote.  To do this, you push button #1 and hold it for about 3-5 seconds.  It will then turn the pump on.  Hold it again for 3-5 seconds and it turns it off again.  As far as I know, this is an undocumented feature. 

As for flow rate pumps, I do not have one.  But since Multiwave only has settings for speed, I bet your are right about no flow rate control. However, Intermatic makes a big point out of saying they do not defeat any safety mode items on the pump, such as suction block.  Not sure about other like run dry.  I am getting out of my knowledge zone in these area.   

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #486 on: June 24, 2018, 02:36:05 pm »
can they change the speed pump runs at with the buttons too?

Offline blueman2

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #487 on: June 24, 2018, 02:38:09 pm »
Good question!  I will have to test this.  I have only used button 1 to test.  But perhaps button 1 is speed 1, button 2 is speed 2, etc.  But I have never tried yet.  I will report back later when I test it.  Again, I think this was added in Firmware 3.4. 

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #488 on: June 25, 2018, 08:03:07 am »
iirc the 4 buttons were supposed to control the 4 different speeds and that feature was added a long time ago.

give it a shot!

Offline kmheid

« Reply #489 on: July 07, 2018, 10:28:15 am »
I heard that Frank left Intermatic (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,80897.msg381760.html#msg381760).  Has anyone had any luck getting version 39 of the firmware from Intermatic since Frank left? 
I bought more Intermatic equipment 2 years ago when Frank said the new firmware release was imminent and would unlock all functionality with Vera, but I am afraid now that without Frank there, it will never work right.  Intermatic does not seem to care about this product line, which is unfortunate, because it has so much potential.  If they are going to kill it, I wish they would at least give us an option to upgrade our devices first to get some use out of what we paid for and what they already developed.  Holding back the firmware only makes sense if they provide an option to purchase the upgrade.

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2018, 08:46:08 am »
I have a version labeled 3713 that isn't on the intermatic web site but I'm not sure if that is the same as 3.9. I haven't tried to flash it yet because I don't know if you can go back. If I know that it is possible t put 3.4 back on it I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #491 on: July 28, 2018, 05:46:33 pm »
Hi, I just added a multiwave to my new veraplus.  I had a multiwave from years ago but never included it to my Vera.  I am running 3.4 on the Multiwave unit and all the devices show up in vera, but I cannot turn it on via Vera, but if I hit the button on the unit it turns on and shows up as on in Vera.  Then the unit turns off after 5 min??  @dkeefe can you help?  I also have a handheld remote with old firmware on it (3.1) and need to get it upgraded (was with my other unit).  I assume I need to find my CA87000 USB zwave thing?  THoughts?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:06:56 pm by aschwalb »

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #492 on: July 30, 2018, 07:57:46 am »
All reports indicate that 3.4 won't work with vera. I used 3.3 with my vera for many years until it stopped working reliably about 1 year ago for no reason. I now run 3.4 and it has been fine but I'm not using it with vera. I've basically given up hope that it will ever work.

If you want to use it with vera, you need to mythical 3.9 fw. sorry.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #493 on: July 30, 2018, 09:19:54 am »
Thanks @dkeefe, I think I had come to the same conclusion.  I am going to try to go at from both fronts (Vera) and Intermatic (3.9).  Interestingly one of the times I tried to include the Multiwave it was NOT recognized as a pool controller (which didn't give me the thermostat control) but a generic device with 5 switches and it worked!.  I foolishly thought I could replicate this and now it only recognizes it as a Pool controller and fails.  This tells me that the 'normal' z-wave stuff works, but what is broken is special device Vera created for pool control.