Author Topic: Can 2GIG 345MHZ Sensors Be Registered to/Monitored by Two Controllers?  (Read 684 times)

Offline leroylockwood

Please bare with me since this is my first post.  The more exchange I have with Vera support, the more confused I get.

I currently have a 2GIG GC2 panel with numerous sensors monitored by Alarm.com.  I am considering purchasing a VeraSecure, to initially take over some of the Z-wave devices and eventually to replace the GC2 completely.  Having studied the various posts on this forum, making the GC2 a secondary to Vera's primary does not seem to be a good idea.  Rather, what I think I want to do is to run two independent Z-wave networks.  The question is, do I have to add a second sensor to some doors and add more PIR sensors specifically to be included into Vera?  Or, can the TXID of 345 MHZ sensors be registered with more than one controller and each controller be triggered to take some action from a single sensor?

Z-wave devices clearly indicate that they can be paired to only one controller.
However, I have not seen a similar restriction for 345 MHZ sensors.

It seems that I received two contradicting information from Vera Support below.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Me:
"Can the Vera controller AND the 2GIG GC2 receive signals from 345 MHZ sensors at the same time?"

Vera:
"I don't think that's possible, what you can do is to add the 2GIG GC2 as a secondary device that way it can see some of the devices of the vera controller and control them."

Me:
"Do I transfer controls of Z-wave devices to VeraSecure and leave the 345 MHZ sensors paired with 2GIG-GC2? Or do I have to also remove them from GC2 and pair them with VeraSecure?"

Vera:
"As I mentioned there were no cases of links between the 2GIG GC2 Panel and VeraSecure up until now, so I cannot tell you if the Z-wave transfer between the two will be successful. You may try doing the steps."  (Note: I did not ask about Z-wave "transfer".  My question was regarding 345MHZ sensors.)

"In theory, if you look at the 345mhz/433mhz protocol principles you should be able to control the 345 MHZ sensors from both controllers."

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:53:10 pm by leroylockwood »

Offline wilme2

Good question.  If the 345 mhz devices are transmitters only, then they would not know which devices are listening to them (no real pair) and could report to multiple devices.  My EnOcean occupancy sensors work that way (a teach-in "pairs" them, but it is really just a transmit and you can teach-in a single sensor to multiple devices).
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline leroylockwood

Thank you for the feedback.  I believe the 345 MHZ sensors respond to a "ping" from the GC2 panel to report back connectivity and battery status.  If VeraSecure has a similar feature, I would like to disable it to reduce battery drain.  Unfortunately, the online manual for the VeraSecure does not go into much detail.  Thanks again!

Offline kartcon

I can add a little bit of information that may or may not be relevant to your decision making. On the Vera, all 345 Mhz devices must only contain NUMERIC identifiers. I ordered some generic 345 devices in the past that used Alpha-Numeric ID's and the input field in Vera would not accept the Alpha characters. So if your existing devices only contain numeric ID's, you should be able to pair/register them with Vera. If there are letters in the ID (A12345 or 123X56) it will not work.

I built out my Vera Secure as a full fledged alarm system and it works just fine, but had also considered your exact situation. I would love to know what you find out and if you are able to 'monitor' one sensor with multiple devices. Based on the previous replies and my understanding of the sensor and its configuration in Vera, I'm thinking it might just work.

It would be nice to be able to reduce the load on Vera by pushing most or all the Alarm system functions back to a dedicated alarm controller, while still keeping the sensors available to Vera, PLEG and some of my other routines.

Offline leroylockwood

Thank you.  That's good to know.  So far, my sensors are 2GIG and Honeywell with 7 digit numerical TXIDs.  I will make sure to stick to those when I buy more in the future.

I am happy with the GC2 for security functions.  The site is not occupied full time and I only get to go there a week at a time so I think I'll leave the GC2 in place for now.  Because I only go there once in a while and have limited time to work on the house, I don't want to buy the VeraSecure unless I'm confident that it will do what I want it to do.

If the GC2 can pass the arming status, i.e. Armed Away, Armed Stay, Disarmed, to VeraSecure, it would make things very simple but it sounds like it doesn't.  So, I'm not sure what the advantage is to make GC2 secondary to the VeraSecure.  I must be missing something.  Currently, when the panel is set to Armed Away, power is removed from the garage door openers and on-demand water heater (Z-wave outlets) and the main water valve is closed.  (I had extensive water damage in the past.)  When the panel is Disarmed, the reverse happens.  I would like Vera to take that over but doesn't sound like it can.

As of now, I plan to try the VeraSecure and buy a couple of door/window and PIR sensors in case I can't pair the existing ones to two controllers.  But, that won't be happening for at least a couple of months.  I will certainly report back if it works out or not.

Thanks again!

Offline kartcon

If, in fact, you can 'monitor' the door/windows sensors with both the Alarm Panel and Vera I would suggest using Vera and PLEG as the logic portion of your H/A needs and let the alarm panel handle the security side. I'm fairly certain that you are correct in the understanding that Vera does NOT have an interface with that Alarm panel, so no way to set the Home/Away/Night modes via Vera. This was the primary reason I went down the path of creating my own 'Security System' using the Vera Secure - but driven by logic using PLEG and not the built in methods.
I'm also not sure what kind of control (logic) the 2 Gig alarm panel might offer, such as scenes or scripts, but I doubt it would rival the power of PLEG. Therefore your Vera Secure may be the better platform for controlling all the items you want to turn off or disable while away, plus you could also get additional notifications of these things actually occurring. If it were me, I think I would leave all the z-wave devices on Vera and not bother trying to bridge the panel at all.
I hope you find an answer and would love to see whether or not two controllers can monitor the sensors at the same time.

Offline leroylockwood

Good point.  I will keep that in mind and start learning PLEG.

2GIG/Alarm.com does have a decent scene editor and scheduler.  What it lacks, which is the reason I am looking at Vera, is the ability to use Z-wave devices as triggers, it only reacts to 345 MHZ sensors.  So, as a security system, I have no complaints but for H/A, it falls short.

I plan to install a hot water re-circulation pump.  With the 2GIG GC2, the only means to start the pump automatically is a PIR or door/window sensor.  I would like the pump to turn on with either motion or a smart switch for the toilet or shower lights.  The only way I know how to do that with 2GIG GC2 alone is to connect a momentary switch to close the circuit of a door/window sensor's hardwire terminal and program it into GC2 as a door sensor.  That seems to be a round about way not to mention the need to cut a hole in the wall (and having to explain to guests what it's for and how to use it.)  Not much of a home automation!

Thank you!