Author Topic: Vera Edge does not work without internet connection  (Read 1170 times)

Offline TMC

Vera Edge does not work without internet connection
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:30 pm »
Last night I lost my internet connection. Nothing worked. I knew VeraEdge was stand alone. When I opened the gates (with the remote control), the bulb in the yard did not light up. Then I tried to play scenes created with z wave devices. Nothing worked. For example, if a light bulb on the terrace lights some of the lights in the garden are turn on, if the bulbs in the hall are switched off for more than 10 minutes all the bulbs in the yard and the garden are off. No control over bulbs. I can not open the gates. It takes about a week to change the Internet infrastructure, while the Internet will be limited. Is very unpleasant. I am very upset. Should I make some settings?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:24:44 pm by TMC »

Offline rafale77

Re: Vera Edge does not work without internet connection
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:56:36 pm »
The Zwave segment of the system should work without internet access. It all depends on what devices and plugin you have setup.

For example, if your bulbs are hue bulbs, the plugin accesses the API to switch the lights on so they will not work. The vera itself, except for the time keeping is standalone. I see a lot of my plugins crash when I lose internet connection because they all rely on an API in the cloud as opposed to a local one.
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline TMC

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:43:42 pm »
I'm just referring to z-wave devices. I can not order them and the scenes do not work.
At the gates is a Fibaro sensor, at night when the gates open, a light bulb (Fibaro switch) lights up in the yard.
If I turn on a light bulb (Fibaro switch) at the back of the terrace, it lights up some light bulbs (the same Fibaro switch) that illuminates the alley.
I do not refer to scenes that require plugins.

Offline Priest

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:43:34 pm »
You seem to be indicating that you have time limitations built in to your scenes.  If you lost internet and then (or at the same time) your Vera rebooted....it could not check the time and its internal clock is wrong.  Look around on the forum for people that set up their own NTP and modified their Vera to look at that instead of looking to MIOS.

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 05:56:09 pm »
I noticed with the last beta of the current release that central scenes (multi-tap) would not work without an internet connection. I have not tested this scenario since upgrading to the current release.

Offline Priest

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:42 am »
I noticed with the last beta of the current release that central scenes (multi-tap) would not work without an internet connection. I have not tested this scenario since upgrading to the current release.

You have muti-tap / central scenes working on something?

I have the new Jasco dimmers that several guys on other HA systems say have muti-tap function..... how do I make that work in Vera?!?

Offline TMC

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:57:21 pm »
Multi-tap scenes ... I do not know what it means. How I control the lights (z-wave switches) without an internet connection?
Now I'm interested in this and more considering that next year the holiday home will be finished where there is no internet. And until the problem with the internet ... it's bad.
In addition to the spring is also provided the irrigation automation in the garden. Well if there is no internet, do not wet the grass. This is not possible.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:48:36 pm »
Multi-tap scenes ... I do not know what it means. How I control the lights (z-wave switches) without an internet connection?
Now I'm interested in this and more considering that next year the holiday home will be finished where there is no internet. And until the problem with the internet ... it's bad.
In addition to the spring is also provided the irrigation automation in the garden. Well if there is no internet, do not wet the grass. This is not possible.

I'm not sure why you think it doesn't work without internet. How are you trying to control it (phone, computer or what?). If the internet is down (WAN network) you still have your wifi Local Network (LAN). If you DO NOT have "Secure my vera" checked you can connect locally to the VERA (app or web browser) and control the devices. Z-wave doesn't use internet to work.

If you have "Secure my vera" checked I can see more of your issue as that requires you to login via the internet to check your credentials which will not work if the internet is down.

Can you let us know a bit more on where you got stuck? Your lights that come on based on night.... Where do they get the info if its day or night? Is that info not working due to no internet?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:51:12 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline TMC

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:28:57 pm »
I'm in the LAN. Secure my vera is not checked. I'm trying to control Vera with my phone and computer. The open-door scene at night understands why it does not work because it also involves the Day or Night plug-in.
I stopped the WAN network a few minutes ago
I've created created a scene in the room (before stopping WAN), if the light 1 lights up immediately, light 2 lights up.
Scene does not work, commands do not work.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 03:05:57 pm »
I'm in the LAN. Secure my vera is not checked. I'm trying to control Vera with my phone and computer. The open-door scene at night understands why it does not work because it also involves the Day or Night plug-in.
I stopped the WAN network a few minutes ago
I've created created a scene in the room (before stopping WAN), if the light 1 lights up immediately, light 2 lights up.

Does manually turning on and off the light via z-wave work?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:08:54 pm »

Does VERA see the correct status of light 1 turning on? I always used PLEG which had alot of time stamps and I could easier see where the disconnect is. But like in case I'm trying to find the broken link. Is it seeing the light on, is it trying to send the on command to light 2? Logs on Vera are not so easy to read either.

Offline TMC

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 03:25:08 pm »
How can i know if vera see the correct status of light 1 turning on? I'm a beginner

Offline TMC

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 03:41:43 pm »

No

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 04:47:22 pm »

No

From both the App or the webpage? Do you get an error in the log? What kind of light switch do you have?

Offline TMC

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 02:20:35 am »
From both the App or the webpage? Do you get an error in the log? What kind of light switch do you have?

yes ... from both.
how can I see the errors?
Fibaro Double Switch