Author Topic: Vera Edge does not work without internet connection  (Read 1196 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Vera Edge does not work without internet connection
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:47 pm »
yes ... from both.
how can I see the errors?
Fibaro Double Switch

This is very weird and not normal. When you attempt to turn on the light switch in the web browser does it actually show it turn on or does it flip back off? It doesnt have any communication errors in red on the top?

Offline TMC

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 03:58:37 pm »
It flip back off. No any communication errors. If I refresh the web page and I do not have Internet connection I can not connect to the Vera.
I set my vera to have static IP, is it okay?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:01:06 pm by TMC »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:13 pm »
It flip back off. No any communication errors. If I refresh the web page and I do not have Internet connection I can not connect to the Vera.
I set my vera to have static IP, is it okay?

Static IP is good and preferred.

Ok now we are getting somewhere. So your saying without internet you can not connect to your vera at all?

Are you typing in the static IP of your vera into the web browser? If you are it should bring up your vera with or without internet.

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:58 pm »

You have muti-tap / central scenes working on something?

I have the new Jasco dimmers that several guys on other HA systems say have muti-tap function..... how do I make that work in Vera?!?

Yes on GoControl WD500Z5. I don't believe the new Jasco dimmer supports multi-tap/central scenes. Just GoControl on Vera and the Homeseer dimmer on several other hubs.

Multiitap is great for controlling large groups of lights. One tap controls the local light. Two taps controls a group of lights. Everyone in the household can remember that setup.

On vera is can also control house mode while turning a light on or off without writing a scene  I have not tested this functionality.

Offline TMC

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 01:49:50 am »
Yes, I enter static IP into the browser and Vera does not connect to the internet.

Offline Priest

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 02:48:30 pm »
okay. entering its static IP, if you are on the same network with it, does not require internet to get to it.  if you are trying to hit the getvera site sure.... but internal on the LAN you should hit it directly.

so, lets say for example my Public IP is 73.237.100.20 (It's not) and my Vera LAN IP is 192.168.81.1.  If I hit the home.getvera.com site, or if I use the mobile app, it will run through the mios servers and come in on the WAN (73.237.100.20) and hit my vera, vera will do things.  If I am inside my network, on Vera's Wifi or LAN connection, I got to 192.168.81.1 and it bypasses all internet needs to operate.  I could unplug my cable modem and still hit that address and turn things on and off. The mobile app will not work, but Vera will.

So, lets be clear about how you are hitting it. Are you trying to hit your house's public IP, use the Vera Mobile app, Or use the home.getvera.com?  Or are you hitting a 192.168.xxx.xxx type address from within your network.

once you are in Vera from that address you should be able to turn on and off things.  Lets start there before getting into the NTP server and timing issues.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 03:02:02 pm »
Yes, I enter static IP into the browser and Vera does not connect to the internet.

Your terms are a bit off and that can throw us for some unexpected loops.

For example above doesn't make any sense. VERA will never connect to the internet if you don't have internet or have disconnected the internet. But entering the vera IP into the web browser should bring up the local VERA web UI.

Lets start with some basic questions which can help point to the problem.
What is your static IP address of VERA? (generally this should be a 192.168.X.XXX number as stated by Priest)
How are you disabling the internet? I'm assuming your unplugging a cable to do this, so which cable from where to where? (I have a funny feeling your unplugging the cable going into the vera, which would explain alot. If so this can not be done as your removing vera from the local network not just from the internet.)

Offline Priest

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »

For example above doesn't make any sense. VERA will never connect to the internet if you don't have internet or have disconnected the internet. But entering the vera IP into the web browser should bring up the local VERA web UI.

Doesnt mean he didnt use the home.getvera at one point and then bookmark or copy the address he got at that time.  Trying to cover all bases. 

Offline TMC

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 05:26:22 pm »
I solved. I've refilled the vera with an older copy.
When I said without internet ... I disconnected the internet cable at the router's entrance and in the browser I tried to connect to IP: 192.168.1.xx.
Thank you all for your support.
But I noticed something "strange" ...
Without the Internet, Autovera app (Android app) sends commands to devices instantly. For example, presses light 1, light 2, light 3 very quickly, lights quickly lights turn on/off. Or press light 1 very quickly, the answer is instantaneous (on/off).
With internet connection, presses light 1 twice quickly, lights up quickly, but turns off after a few seconds. The same as when pressed very quickly, light 1, light 2, light 3 ... light 1 respond immediately, the other with a delay of seconds.
Has anyone ever met this? What would be the explanation?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 09:19:17 pm »
@ TMC
The change in response  with the Internet connection is very disturbing.
I imagine that it is logging an event to the Vera servers ... but this should be done asynchronously and not cause the actual action to slow down ...
(It appears to be waiting for the information to be successfully sent to the server before continuing).

Offline TMC

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:38 pm »
If the z wave Vera switches would work with an Internet connection just as it works without an internet connection, using Autovera would be extraordinary.
It would be like having physical switches.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:46:51 pm by TMC »

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 10:33:22 pm »
Do you have any apps installed? Maybe they are slowing the CPU while they hit the net.

Offline TMC

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 02:24:01 pm »
Yes, I have many plugins installed. For some, they have several devices (PLEG, Virtual Switch, Multi Switch, DLNA, etc.).

Offline TMC

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 04:44:45 pm »
Do you have any apps installed? Maybe they are slowing the CPU while they hit the net.

I've uninstalled all the plug-ins (except Autovera) and only left with z-wave devices. It did not increase the speed of response with nothing.

Offline reneboer

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 04:42:43 am »
Hi,

Just read in another article that version 7.1.20 could have a problem when internet is unplugged and that this is fixed in the later versions. I'm running .23 now and that runs smoothly.

Update: And has I have DSL issues and the ISP took the line down this morning I can say it keeps working without internet connection.

Cheers Rene
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:03:40 am by reneboer »
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.