Author Topic: Vera Edge does not work without internet connection  (Read 1171 times)

Offline TMC

Re: Vera Edge does not work without internet connection
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 06:01:39 am »
    I've done it, it works when the internet is disconnected. I use Autovera (with on-screen widgets), and when there is no internet connection, it works almost as physical switches. For example, quickly press bulb 1, bulb 2, bulb 3, immediately all three light up. If I have the Internet connection and do the same operation, the bulb 1 illuminates immediately but the bulb 2 and the bulb 3 after a few seconds (about 4 or 5 seconds). It would be ideal to work and have Internet connection very quickly.
    Has anyone ever met this?

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 11:54:41 am »
This is not an "odd problem" as a very large portion of my Vera becomes unusable. I would expect that anything that is gotten from the internet would cease to function. But Most times the loss of an internet connection leads to Vera crashing. UI5 did not have this issue. Nor did it require me to authenticate against MIOS servers (even when the secure Vera is unchecked). I have also noticed that if the Vera has not crashed from the loss of internet navigating UI7 has become vastly faster. no more 30 seconds of spinning wheels when you change between pages. I am thinking it is time to put wire shark on this thing to see exactly what it is doing. I have found that the ZWave network Heal doesn't only refresh the network topology but it sets all of the parameters on the devices as well. GE/Jasco switches flash when things are changed (some models) I am guessing to notify you of changes. But at 2AM when the whole house starts flashing it's rather annoying.

Offline mbaker171

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 01:32:53 pm »
My home automation stops working when the internet fails ever since I installed the Hue plugin. If your internet fails and you then reboot my Veraedge it stops at the phase it tries to do something to the Hue. That's right it never gets out of the initiation phase rendering my entire home automation system useless. Does anyone else experience this?

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:13 pm »
mine grinds to a halt right from the git go. no devices, no plugins. brand new install of the UI resetting all of the data. it just sits there with the little wheel spinning after it does the cmh redirect. the starts to load the page then stops and will not do a thing until i restore the connection.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:57 pm »
Do you have any plugins that require internet connection ?
They could hang.

Vera Alerts which sends alerts through the internet  provides the required use of jobs so that the action in Vera does not block.

Other things that talk on the net you might want to check is:
   a) Weather Underground
   b) Push Plugin
   c) Nest Plugin
   d) Any other plugin where you provide  Internet Credentials to
   e) ...
If you just use Z-Wave and Vera services you should be OK.
My Plugins should be OK, Vera Alerts, PLEG, PLC, PLTS, Daynight

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 07:05:02 pm »
you would think that a plugin developer would be aware that loss of internet connection happens all the time. and would not make the plugin in such a manner that would cause the Vera to stop functioning... if this is the case then the plugin should not be added to the plugin repository until that kind of an issue is resolved.

But mine hangs without a single plugin installed, and not a single device. a fresh install of UI7 (latest build). except the Alexa and the camera plugins which cannot be remove apparently. and I would think that the Alexa plugin requires an internet connection. so this could be the cause of the problem. so without a way to remove it the Vera becoming a dead stick with no internet connection is going to be a normal thing.