We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: DSC Alarm System plugin  (Read 397054 times)

Offline computerjohn

Re: DSC plugin
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 11:45:25 pm »
Hello everyone,

So what's the story with the DSC interface.  Will the DSC TL150 TLINK interface work with Vera2?  I would prefer using CAT5 & connecting it to my home network instead of using outdated serial interface. Not to mention, putting my Vera2 in the basement next to my DSC panel.
Vera2 UI4 (1.1.1245), IT-100, 2x Trane Thermostats, 6x Intermatic HA03 Lamp Modules, 1x Intermatic HA07 Remote, 4x GE 45613 3-way Dimmer Switches, 13x GE45606 Dimmers Switches, 2x GE 45605 Receptacles, 16x GE 45604 Outdoor Modules, 3x GE 45603 Appliance Modules, Automated Saltwater Reef System

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:39 am »
Hello everyone,

So what's the story with the DSC interface.  Will the DSC TL150 TLINK interface work with Vera2?  I would prefer using CAT5 & connecting it to my home network instead of using outdated serial interface. Not to mention, putting my Vera2 in the basement next to my DSC panel.
It's coded to use the IT100 interface.  This can be attached to a TCP Network using either a WIZnet (which is what @strangely uses) or a RS-232 to Wifi Adapter (which is what I'm currently using to redevelop the plugin with)

The [new] code has branches to specifically handle the "over ethernet" initialization that the IT100 can be deployed with (like the WIZnet or Wifi options above) without need for anything intermediary.

Not sure what a TL150 is, so you'd need to do research on how compatible it is with the IT100, and it's command set.

If it's different, then you'd need to write a new Plugin.

Anyhow, the bulk of the re-write has been done, and @strangely is field testing my Alpha version to find the quirks.  Once the guts are working, it'll be checked into code.mios.com.  At that time, if the 'v2' common API/Interface hasn't evolved then
I'll ship @strangely back his Panel, and dev will stop.  He's generously loaned me a temp one to get it going, but I do have to return it at some point  ;)

PS: I've split/merged this post with the DSC Plugin one, since it wasn't related directly to the standardization effort in the Luup area.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 01:58:37 am »
@computerjohn,

From what I've read, the TL150 only supports arming and disarming the alarm (from an in built web page) and also for communication to a central station via IP, in lieu of having a pure POTS (telephone) based solution.

Either way, the WIZnet and IT100 would give you exactly what you need... essentially an IP connected panel that is interfaced with Vera allowing the sensors etc to be used for other automation tasks.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline computerjohn

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:25 am »
First sorry you the delayed response, but I have been busy with work & installing all my in-wall Z-Wave light switches.  Ok, sounds great guys..  Thank you so much.  Also, I'm a dealer. Any good places to buy the WIZnet??  Also is there any other configuration that must be done to the IT100 or is it plug 'n play with the WIZnet?
Vera2 UI4 (1.1.1245), IT-100, 2x Trane Thermostats, 6x Intermatic HA03 Lamp Modules, 1x Intermatic HA07 Remote, 4x GE 45613 3-way Dimmer Switches, 13x GE45606 Dimmers Switches, 2x GE 45605 Receptacles, 16x GE 45604 Outdoor Modules, 3x GE 45603 Appliance Modules, Automated Saltwater Reef System

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 02:40:40 am »
You can buy one here:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9476

Once you plug it in to the IT100 then there's nothing really to do there; however the WIZnet may need some configuration via its software tool so that you can set the baud rate etc, and then assign an IP to it. Once you have it set with a static IP then the rest is plain sailing :)
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline computerjohn

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2011, 11:35:12 am »
Great, again thank you!! 

You can buy one here:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9476

Once you plug it in to the IT100 then there's nothing really to do there; however the WIZnet may need some configuration via its software tool so that you can set the baud rate etc, and then assign an IP to it. Once you have it set with a static IP then the rest is plain sailing :)

Offline techsan

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 05:45:45 pm »
Alas I am back to pick the brains of those smarter that me with regard to the DSC plugin, or as I call it, the stress harbinger.

1. The DSC plugin has been installed according to the wiki, 2. serial adapter via IT100 is recognized by Vera and has been associated with the plugin 3. scenario has been attempted with null modem adapter as well as without, however I am still unable to control any functionality of the DSC panel.

If I associate all three of the parameters as discussed in the wiki, Vera seems to loop as if looking for a functionality that is not there (note: I do not have motion sensors or smoke sensors connected to the DSC). If I remove all of the parameters except for the actual "Active Partition" field Vera pulls back a tab for the partition and gives me the "Away, Stay, No Delay, w/Code, and Disarm" buttons..all of which do nothing.

Is there something I'm missing in the advanced tabs or the setup of these tabs that the wiki does not go into? The wiki makes it seem extremely plug and play after copying a few lines into empty fields but I have yet to find that ease of installation.

P.S. the IT100 continually blinks green whether or not the serial adapter is connected to the Vera or not. Is this normal? Does this only indicate the IT100 is communicating with the DSC?

Thanks all, aside from this topic alone Vera has been great to me.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »
@techsan, If you can wait about 1-2wks we should be finished with initial testing on the Alpha version of the re-write. 

@strangely has been testing the code in the real world for ~1wk and I got a report from him earlier that he'd tested scene(s), notifications and arming/disarming with it and all was well.

Anyhow, at startup, the newer code creates an initial configuration with 1 Partition, and 6 Zones, and defaults configuration Parameters to represent this setup.  You can tweak these, but gives you a starting point (not a blank slate) so it's easier to modify to your needs.

It also attempts to read the Partition and Zone labels from the Panel, so if you have a DSC with AlphaNumerics (or a Programmer, like @strangely has) then those will show up automatically against the Partitions and Zones under MiOS.

At the moment, I have the code, but not any Wiki documentation for it.  My hope was to minimize the need for doc.... or to encourage @strangely to tweak that up... LOL  8)

Offline computerjohn

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 10:27:27 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have ordered my IT-100 & the WIZnet module today.  I should have them by the end of the week & plan on getting it working with my DSC panel & Vera 2 over the weekend.  

Now is the driver stable for me to have it working live & one thing I forgot to ask is do I need a NULL modem cable to connect the IT-100 to the WIZnet module?

Thanks Again,

John
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:29:46 pm by computerjohn »

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 01:31:55 am »
Alas I am back to pick the brains of those smarter that me with regard to the DSC plugin, or as I call it, the stress harbinger.

1. The DSC plugin has been installed according to the wiki, 2. serial adapter via IT100 is recognized by Vera and has been associated with the plugin 3. scenario has been attempted with null modem adapter as well as without, however I am still unable to control any functionality of the DSC panel.

If I associate all three of the parameters as discussed in the wiki, Vera seems to loop as if looking for a functionality that is not there (note: I do not have motion sensors or smoke sensors connected to the DSC). If I remove all of the parameters except for the actual "Active Partition" field Vera pulls back a tab for the partition and gives me the "Away, Stay, No Delay, w/Code, and Disarm" buttons..all of which do nothing.

Is there something I'm missing in the advanced tabs or the setup of these tabs that the wiki does not go into? The wiki makes it seem extremely plug and play after copying a few lines into empty fields but I have yet to find that ease of installation.

P.S. the IT100 continually blinks green whether or not the serial adapter is connected to the Vera or not. Is this normal? Does this only indicate the IT100 is communicating with the DSC?

Thanks all, aside from this topic alone Vera has been great to me.

@techsan,

Before @guessed releases his new plugin, you may as well try to see if you can this working!

First of all ignore the current WiKi instructions for configuration and Just enter the following (you may have to delete what you've typed there already):

If you have one partition then under "ActivePartitions" enter the number 1, If you have two partitions then enter 1,2 etc etc.

And then its the same for the zones also, so assuming you have 10 zones set up and you know the zone numbers, then just enter them exactly as follows in the "MotionSensors" variable: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 this is assuming your zone numbers are in series (mine are not and thus I have 1,2,3,4,5,9,10,11,12).
There is nothing else to type other than whats in bold above!

Once you have saved the above then enter your PIN number (beware this will be sent to MCV's servers!) and save again. If you have a four digit PIN (rather than 6 digits) then you'll need to pad the end of the PIN with 00, e.g 123400

The best way to establish if you have communications is to try to set the clock; If it updates then you should be good to go! If it doesn't work then try to either remove or insert the null modem and try again!

If none of the above works then something maybe wrong with your serial port setup!( perhaps post a picture of that?)

Oh and yes, the green light only indicates the IT100 is communicating with the panel!

Out of interest did you buy the IT100 new? The reason I ask was that if it was off eBay or similar (used), then somebody may have changed the baud rate and you may have to default it!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:59:17 am by strangely »

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:51 am »

Now is the driver stable for me to have it working live & one thing I forgot to ask is do I need a NULL modem cable to connect the IT-100 to the WIZnet module?

Thanks Again,

John

I have a little bit more testing to perform as I haven't used the panel much due to being slammed at work, and also having some guests staying at my house, but the good news is it all seems to work well!

I have a few things to validate including verifying the plugin can read the zone labels (I need to program these from the PC interface as I don't have a PIN pad that supports them).

I'm fairly sure you'll need a null modem cable; however I'm not 100% certain due to the fact I wired mine a month or so back with a home made cat6 cable (that also contains my telephone wires) and jumps up the wall and through the attic to the other side of the room where my network and SIP  phone adapter live (this saved having wall warts supplying power to the WIZnet and the phone adapter in the panel). I guess I can crack the DSUB connectors open again and verify if you have trouble!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:54:43 am by strangely »

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:09 am »
At the moment, I have the code, but not any Wiki documentation for it.  My hope was to minimize the need for doc.... or to encourage @strangely to tweak that up... LOL  8)
Let me see what I can do! :)

Offline digitalperk

DSC plugin
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 04:05:13 pm »
@guessed:

Have you made any progress on the DSC plugin standardized on V1 of S_AlarmPartition.xml? I would really like to have something for the SQ Remote, iVera and automator.app guys to look at. This is the missing thing for me.

Thanks

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2011, 04:23:14 pm »
@guessed:

Have you made any progress on the DSC plugin standardized on V1 of S_AlarmPartition.xml? I would really like to have something for the SQ Remote, iVera and automator.app guys to look at. This is the missing thing for me.

Thanks
See above posting.  I've also given a copy of the code to @computerjohn and he'll be running with it this weekend.  Assuming no significant negative feedback, I plan on checkin it in next week as an "Alpha".

That said, I don't want the Control Points using the "v1" interfaces, it really doesn't make sense since we cannot readily extend them to the broader set of Panels (etc) and it will likely entrench their limited design.

Instead, we need to focus on finalizing, and implementing against, the V2 spec that we have going in the overall "Alarm Panel Standardization" thread.  From what we have so far, it'll only take 2-3 days (tops) to augment the existing implementations to use it, so it's a weekend job (at least for the Paradox and DSC, and I'm assuming so for the Caddx also)

Offline computerjohn

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2011, 12:04:29 am »
LOL!! Wall warts...   :D Too funny..  I could make one, but I know I should have one somewhere here..  I ordered another one as a 6' cable & as a 2" adapter.  Great thank you..

Thanks Again,

John

I have a little bit more testing to perform as I haven't used the panel much due to being slammed at work, and also having some guests staying at my house, but the good news is it all seems to work well!

I have a few things to validate including verifying the plugin can read the zone labels (I need to program these from the PC interface as I don't have a PIN pad that supports them).

I'm fairly sure you'll need a null modem cable; however I'm not 100% certain due to the fact I wired mine a month or so back with a home made cat6 cable (that also contains my telephone wires) and jumps up the wall and through the attic to the other side of the room where my network and SIP  phone adapter live (this saved having wall warts supplying power to the WIZnet and the phone adapter in the panel). I guess I can crack the DSUB connectors open again and verify if you have trouble!