Author Topic: Can you run two controllers while upgrading?  (Read 193 times)

Offline CasaUser

• Sr. Newbie
Can you run two controllers while upgrading?
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:51 am »
I'm upgrading from a VeraLite to VeraPlus, and wondering if it's possible to update gradually, leaving my old controller in charge until I have the new one up and running.

For example, can you add a few devices to the new controller on one day, forget about it for a few days, and add a few more later?and all the while the old controller is doing it's thing? That would be easier than picking a day to add every device, scene, etc. in one chunk.

I don't know if the devices get messed up when they're added to a different controller. I assume you'd unplug the new controller until it's fully functional to avoid confusion.

Thank you for any thoughts!
--------------------------------------------
For reference, devices are:
  • GE light switches
  • Ecolink Motion detectors
  • Fibaro RGB controllers
  • Linear plug-in dimmers
  • Everspring flood detectors
  • CT100 thermostat
  • Everspring siren
I also run PLEG.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Can you run two controllers while upgrading?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:04:52 pm »
I'm upgrading from a VeraLite to VeraPlus, and wondering if it's possible to update gradually, leaving my old controller in charge until I have the new one up and running.

For example, can you add a few devices to the new controller on one day, forget about it for a few days, and add a few more later?and all the while the old controller is doing it's thing? That would be easier than picking a day to add every device, scene, etc. in one chunk.

I don't know if the devices get messed up when they're added to a different controller. I assume you'd unplug the new controller until it's fully functional to avoid confusion.

Thank you for any thoughts!
--------------------------------------------
For reference, devices are:
  • GE light switches
  • Ecolink Motion detectors
  • Fibaro RGB controllers
  • Linear plug-in dimmers
  • Everspring flood detectors
  • CT100 thermostat
  • Everspring siren
I also run PLEG.

To keep it simple, devices can only be paired to one controller at a time. So when you get a device that was tested at the factory (or is used) you need to exclude the device (even though it wasn't included on your system) before you can include. This erases the info in the device so it can now grab the new controllers info (handshake). So the switch (or device) and the controller both store each others info to complete the handshake. If you exclude the working device on the controller both sides gets erased and shared info is no longer in either the controller or the switch. If the switch gets excluded by another controllers (say the new one in your case) the device will be wiped but the old controller will still be looking for that switch and still have its info but it will not talk since one side has been erased. You would then need to manually remove the broken device (no longer communicating device) from the old controller so its not on the dashboard or in the z-wave chip.

So yes you can run two controllers next to each other and no they won't mix up z-wave networks. You have to exclude from one then include to another. Same as having wifi and it reaching to your neighbors. Without the inclusion or handhsake they won't get let in or mix up even if both are in range.

I generally find it easier to do it all in one day though. I have way to much automation that all gets screwed up once 1/4 of the stuff is removed. I find swaping devices take around 2 min each. Or around 2 hours for a large setup. Setting up all the logic is what takes me longer.