Author Topic: Try to get ride of Vera...  (Read 2228 times)

Offline DesT

Re: Try to get ride of Vera...
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 11:56:07 am »
Maybe that my crazy hardware setup help too

Good Grief!  I'd hate to think that people thought that hardware like that was necessary!

No, certainly not necessary... but nice!!

didn't want to insult you AK...  I'm just "think big" kind of guy!   Sorry bro!
Vera Edge-UI7/Plus-UI7 (2), DSC Partition (5 ) + Zones Sensors(31), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (3), GE Sw (8 ), GE Dimr (14), FGMS-001 (2), ZW100 (2), RZCS4 (1), AL-DSC11 (1), Aeon HEM 2nd Edition (1), Aeon SSE (5), YRD220-ZW (1), SONOS (6), MyQ Chamberlain (1)
PINE64/openLuup/ALTUI/Rules

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 03:18:26 am »
There are still things that are not designed properly for multi-thread operation.
This is typically plugins. But camera's on Vera have the same problem.
There are no design guidelines for this.
But plugins that need to be aware of this .. are plugins that:
1) Have side effects that use network services (i.e. send messages to other device, i.e. Vera Alerts, Nest, IFTTT. ...)
2) Call luup.call_action, in particular on another device or plugin.  (i.e. PLEG)
3) Have any computation intensive code ... or calls luup.delay

I have had to learn a lot about this because of (1) and (2), but as I said, things are not documented.
Vera's solution is to use Jobs, and Jobs are on another thread and can run concurrently.
But this is still a limited number of threads (two per device/plugin).

This explains a lot of things in my mind. Thank you!
There is some randomness factor in the vera which I believe are related to the concurrent jobs not completing at the same time every time so for me I have had random "error in lua scenes and startup lua" happen on the vera as my system and codes were growing. I suspected that the startup lua code did not finish before some of the plugins and scenes were loaded. It also contributes to the random Luup reloads on the vera.

@DesT, I am running Openluup along with 5 other various server/bridges on a VM on my NAS which has an i7 6700K with 2 threads (i.e 1 core) dedicated to it... It is incomparably faster than the vera. You are not crazy. :P
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline DesT

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 09:16:07 am »
rafale77,

Just for fun...  that's my other 3nodes clusters for having fun with stuff other than IoT/home automation!
Vera Edge-UI7/Plus-UI7 (2), DSC Partition (5 ) + Zones Sensors(31), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (3), GE Sw (8 ), GE Dimr (14), FGMS-001 (2), ZW100 (2), RZCS4 (1), AL-DSC11 (1), Aeon HEM 2nd Edition (1), Aeon SSE (5), YRD220-ZW (1), SONOS (6), MyQ Chamberlain (1)
PINE64/openLuup/ALTUI/Rules

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 04:44:27 am »
Just discovered that the Countdown timer plugin actually does not quite work. My openluup cpu is too fast compared to the vera and is not able to sense when the timer ends before the "Event" variable switches back to 0. I had to modify the plugin so that at the end of the countdown, the event variable stays "1" for 1 second so I can use it as a watchable variable....

openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 10:18:25 am »
I tried Home Assistant last night, in fact, just on a whim. I brought it up on an Ubuntu VM on a home machine. Everything installed flawlessly on the first attempt. I did the two-line Vera component configuration and restarted HASS, and all of my devices from the Vera popped up.

Just tried to do the same configuration on Ubuntu. I get "could not poll Vera" - will retry in 10s"
I can ping the IP that I used in the config but, for some reason, it doesn't work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.