Author Topic: Bought Linear GD00Z-5, is it really a 5??  (Read 232 times)

Offline Skelly

Bought Linear GD00Z-5, is it really a 5??
« on: October 26, 2017, 05:59:00 pm »
Newbie here: Bought this thing on Amazon, was shipped from a third party. It's in a plain white box, and there is a sticker labeled GD00Z-5 covering the GD00Z-1 label. I was wanting a "5" since I wanted the extra range that ZWave + offers. Is there a way I can tell if it's Zwave vs Zwave + from the Vera console?

Thanks!

LS

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
Re: Bought Linear GD00Z-5, is it really a 5??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:25:59 pm »
Hey there,

As far as I know that number at the end for Linear GDO, is only there to differentiate the re-branded versions of the same device.

ALL versions of this GDO are Gen5 or Zwave+ , so you should not worry about this.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:35:36 am »
Linear/Evolve/GoControl has polluted their channel with old and new to get rid of stock. I went through this a while ago.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,40470.msg299723.html#msg299723

There was absolutely a difference between Linear branded 04 that are relabeled and real 04's with the 500 series chip.  If your device shows "Go Control" on the box (and device)  and specifically states Zwave+, you SHOULD be OK.   If the box does not show this, and the device says "Linear" on it, I would guess you do not have a Zwave+ device. 
I went through a half dozen of them including opening it to see the chip between the re-stickered -01 and the GoControl real -04 devices.

The way I used the console to also verify is to check the 'Advanced' section of the device and look for a field name called 'PlusInfo' as well as within the capabilities list, look for command class 94. I THINK this implies the device is Zwave+ vs. Zwave.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:05:45 pm »
Linear/Evolve/GoControl has polluted their channel with old and new to get rid of stock. I went through this a while ago.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,40470.msg299723.html#msg299723

True. The new GoControl z-wave plus dimmer isn't even sold on Amazon as Nortek unloads the older Linear z-wave dimmer. There is no reason whatsoever to be buying the older Linear dimmer today.

Evolve may be an OEM, and not a Nortek brand/company. Nortek has multiple brands (GoControl and Linear) but also sells the same product to OEM who private label the devices.

Offline Skelly

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »
Oh well, finally got some free time this weekend and fired this thing up and paired it. I bought a -5, but it shows up in Vera as a -4, and the + command code of 94 is NOT listed. So I guess I got scammed with one of the relabeled boxes with the newer firmware, but not the ZWave + chip. It\s getting returned.

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 10:51:20 pm »
do you see a variable called PlusInfo listed?  Also does your unit say 'Linear' or 'GoControl' on the actual device ?
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline Skelly

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 05:58:12 pm »
No, there was not a PlusInfo Variable. I ordered a GoControl from Amazon, I actually received a Linear it was fulfilled by Smart Home. It was in a generic white box, and had stickers on it saying that the firmware had been updated. I complained to Smart Home, and they said that Linear is the same as GoControl and that's the way they always receive them, the manufacturer just updates the firmware and gives it a new model number.

I complained that it looks like a refurb, and It wouldn't accept Zwave Plus commands, which is why I ordered that specific model. They allowed me to return it.

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:21:56 am »
Linear labeled devices are absolutely NOT ZW+ .

I had the same experience from both Amazon and a local Ebay reseller.  All the Linear labeled devices were older. Even had the date code from 2014 sticker on the box next to the new -04 sticker. 

Same with Ebay, used a local seller that marketed it as -05 .  Sure enough same issue and when I contacted the reseller return, he even showed me the invoice/packing slip from his distributor so  even their channel is confused and I don't blame them unless they are still pushing it.

Linear/Nortek/GoControl is just a crappy company in my opinion if they think polluting their distribution with older devices as latest ZW+ is appropriate.  Between this issue and their atrocious device reliability for their in-wall devices, combined with non-existent support, I have stopped buying from them.