Author Topic: Monoprice Z-Wave Plus PIR Multi Sensor, Temperature - Humidity - Light  (Read 348 times)

Offline Sammy2

I'm looking at the Monoprice Z-Wave Plus PIR Multi Sensor, Temperature - Humidity - Light to incorporate into my VeraPlus with my CT100 Thermostats.

Before I buy I wonder if anyone has experience using this product. The reviews are all over the place but I think a lot of people don't quite know what they are doing too (like ME!).

I am working on incorporating sensors in PLEG to automate my HVAC but I'm going to start with only this one as our Master Bedroom can be warmer than the location of the Second Floor Thermostat so I want to send Temp/Humid info to trigger the Thermostat. Eventually I may add in some smart vents and more sensors in the house but am starting here as it is not exactly cheap to do all of the HVAC automation..

TIA

Offline rafale77

Re: Monoprice Z-Wave Plus PIR Multi Sensor, Temperature - Humidity - Light
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:49:53 am »
I have quite a few of these. They are made by Vision, a Taiwanese company and have been working quite well for me. I even have one outdoor under my porch. When fed with NiMH, they can endure the low temperature. They are also the same as the Zooz branded ones which were released before Monoprice did.
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 03:30:32 pm »
The initial pairing took a few tries using the Vision 4-in-1 Sensor. I had to unpair after each failed pairing. The trick is that you need to pair it four times when pairing it, apparently once for each sensor but who really knows?

Anyhow, it is all paired up now and it is time to get to writing my PLEG to use the Humidity and Heat Sensors to kick on my AC. I already see it reads 3 degrees warmer and 15 percentage points higher on humidity in the Master Bedroom over the location of the Thermostat itself so if this works as plans it should be awesome keeping our room at a consistently comfortable temperature.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:29:10 am »
I have the same issues and am using a similar device.

I have pleg with 4 temp triggers per floor: cold, cool, warm, hot.   The goal is to stay between cool and warm on the floor in use. I have a simple schedule as the upper floors are bedrooms, so they control at night, and downstairs in day.

The logic will cool the house if the target floor is warm AND if the other floor is not cold.
PLEG will warm the house if the target floor is cool AND the other floor is not hot.

It sends me alerts if we have a hot/cold scenario (probably an open window but maybe a fire!)

My wife complains far less than before.

I would also add a minimote or two, with temp up/down mapped to some of the buttons.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »
I have the same issues and am using a similar device.

I have pleg with 4 temp triggers per floor: cold, cool, warm, hot.   The goal is to stay between cool and warm on the floor in use. I have a simple schedule as the upper floors are bedrooms, so they control at night, and downstairs in day.

The logic will cool the house if the target floor is warm AND if the other floor is not cold.
PLEG will warm the house if the target floor is cool AND the other floor is not hot.

It sends me alerts if we have a hot/cold scenario (probably an open window but maybe a fire!)

My wife complains far less than before.

I would also add a minimote or two, with temp up/down mapped to some of the buttons.

So the minimote is so that you don't have to grab your phone or whatnot then load Vera then set temp? You just grab the remote and turn it up or down as needed? This is going to be a tough one.. For my wife, if it is in cooling mode and it is too warm she says to turn up the AC when she really means to turn down the temperature.. and when it is in warming mode and it is too cold she rightly says to turn up the heat. This would create buttons that don't do what she expects, especially in the Summer.

I've had this discussion too many times and she says, "you just have to be right all the time!" I don't know what to say because it isn't me that has to to be right, she just has it wrong!

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:42:11 am »
So how to turn off the annoying flashing LED?

The manual says LED MODE
Parameter 7, value 1 is off but I'm not sure where to put this in Vera..

"New Service" under Motion Detector? Temperature Detector?

TIA

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:52:55 pm »
So the minimote is so that you don't have to grab your phone or whatnot then load Vera then set temp? You just grab the remote and turn it up or down as needed?

One button says "colder" the other has "warmer".

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:34:52 am »
So how to turn off the annoying flashing LED?

The manual says LED MODE
Parameter 7, value 1 is off but I'm not sure where to put this in Vera..

"New Service" under Motion Detector? Temperature Detector?

TIA

Does anyone know how to make this flashing LED go away?

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:53:33 am »

There are two methods.

1) Easy method - Obtain a piece of electrical tape approximately 1/2 inch long. Locate the LED on the motion sensor device, and place the the tape so that the center of the piece of tape is over the center of the LED. Ensure that the adhesive side of the tape is facing toward the body of the motion sensor. Rub the surface of the tape with light pressure to ensure lasting adhesion.

2) Go to the device setup page, select "Device Options", click on "Add Configuration setting". Set "Variable" to "7". Set "data size" to "1 byte dec", set "desired value" to "1". click on "save changes". Reload the LuaUPnP engine. Wait for the LuaUPnP to finish loading. Refresh your browser.
EVL3Vista - Wink Connect - Caseta Connect - Venstar Colortouch - WiFi UDP Switch Controller - Broadlink RM - MyQGateway

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 06:07:01 pm »

There are two methods.

1) Easy method - Obtain a piece of electrical tape approximately 1/2 inch long. Locate the LED on the motion sensor device, and place the the tape so that the center of the piece of tape is over the center of the LED. Ensure that the adhesive side of the tape is facing toward the body of the motion sensor. Rub the surface of the tape with light pressure to ensure lasting adhesion.

2) Go to the device setup page, select "Device Options", click on "Add Configuration setting". Set "Variable" to "7". Set "data size" to "1 byte dec", set "desired value" to "1". click on "save changes". Reload the LuaUPnP engine. Wait for the LuaUPnP to finish loading. Refresh your browser.

Method 1.. LOL. Okay!

Method 2.. I think I figured this out but was using hex and not dec. I changed it to dec but cannot verify if it worked until I get home. I did this in the only of the three devices showing the battery icon.. the motion sensor.

I'll report back.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 12:20:30 pm »
I am happy to report that I shut off that pesky LED Flash every x seconds exactly how it is explained above.. 1dec (not 1hex)..