Author Topic: All Vera Commands report server is unresponsive  (Read 783 times)

Offline Dansker

Re: All Vera Commands report server is unresponsive
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 02:19:51 am »
Vera/Alexa is working really well for me. A VeraEdge and VeraPlus on the same Alexa account.

Use it from home with one Echo and 3 Echo Dot. Voice-Alexa-Vera works 100% for me.

I do have problems from the Android Alexa app: nothing works, gives "Server is unresponsive."

After all the bashing of the Vera crew, I must say the Alexa interface was/is a very positive experience, for me. Thank you.

Offline Ersan

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 12:01:13 am »
This is the second time I've had to switch back to habridge since the official Vera skill was released  :-\ - the first time being when the entire system was down for 4-5 days.

Grouping devices in a room with an Echo and saying "Lights On" or "Lights Off" isn't working on any of the devices that do not respond to the in-app commands.  Additionally, scenes no longer work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:04:45 am by Ersan »

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 12:54:27 am »
FWIW, I've added 6 new scenes, none work.
Not a good experience for a new Echo user, so I'm off to buy a Google Mini and see what happens with it.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline cgmartin

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 02:10:34 pm »
Grouping devices in a room with an Echo and saying "Lights On" or "Lights Off" isn't working on any of the devices that do not respond to the in-app commands.

I can confirm that the Alexa-enabled groups are a new v3 feature not supported by the current v2 Vera Control skill.

Additionally, for the new "lights on" feature to work in v3 the devices need to be discovered in Alexa as a LIGHT display category as opposed to a SWITCH (or other types).

As a feature request for a new Vera Control v3 skill, I would like it if the user could select the display category for each device from the skill initialization page (the page where you can include each device or rename them before discovery). Basing the Alexa display category only on the Vera device category or subcategory might cause problems with other clients and how devices are organized with the current category/subcategory scheme.

Offline Mark.butler1

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 03:21:53 pm »
I can confirm that the Alexa-enabled groups are a new v3 feature not supported by the current v2 Vera Control skill.

Are you sure on that? While the alexa-enabled groups are a new v3 feature, I got mine working such that I can ask the lounge echo to 'turn off the lights' and it obliges by just switching off the Lounge Group.  Likewise, from the Bedroom Echo, I can control the Bedroom group the same way.  Previously I had to address it as the group name (I.E. "turn off Lounge Lights" or "turn on Bedroom Lights").
That functionality (for me at least) is working fine and this is something that has gone a long way improving the WAF.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:35:46 pm by Mark.butler1 »

Offline cgmartin

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:46 pm »
Are you sure on that? While the alexa-enabled groups are a new v3 feature, I got mine working...

I was pretty sure at least, but great to hear it is working for you. This was the feature I was most excited about when they announced it.

I had tested with the following list of devices together in the smart group:
  • LIGHT (cat:3, sub:0, in-wall on/off switch) - custom v3 skill
  • LIGHT (cat:2, sub:1, in-wall dimmer switch) - vera control v2 skill
  • SWITCH (cat:3, sub:0, in-wall on/off switch) - vera control v2 skill
  • SWITCH (cat:3, sub: 1, smart plug) - vera control v2 skill

Only the LIGHT #1 with the custom v3 skill was operating with "turn on/off the lights", none of the other v2 devices.

I just tried another test, removing #1 from the smart group so that there were only v2-managed devices and it successfully operated LIGHT #2! (but not the other switches)

Apologies, it can work with the current v2 skill. It just needs to show up as a LIGHT type in the alexa app.

Odd that it doesn't seem to work with a combination of v2 and v3 skills.

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:08 am »
As a feature request for a new Vera Control v3 skill, I would like it if the user could select the display category for each device from the skill initialization page (the page where you can include each device or rename them before discovery). Basing the Alexa display category only on the Vera device category or subcategory might cause problems with other clients and how devices are organized with the current category/subcategory scheme.

This sounds reasonable. I'll forward this up the chain.

Thanks

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 07:34:15 pm »
Has anyone managed to get Blinds/Shades/Awnings working?
I've created the scenes, which work manually, but Alexa isn't recognising the commands.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline Mark.butler1

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 04:48:28 pm »
Apologies, it can work with the current v2 skill. It just needs to show up as a LIGHT type in the alexa app.

Odd that it doesn't seem to work with a combination of v2 and v3 skills.

Those are interesting observations.  Since I'm fairly new to building my home automation system, the majority of devices I have are showing up as a LIGHT device type in the Alexa app.  It just so turns out that all the groups I have 'alexa enabled' only contain 'Light type' devices, and thus work - Beginners luck!

One of the rooms I'm yet to fully kit out is my Daughter's bed room.  She currently has only a bedside lamp controlled by a Smartplug.  Since she also has a local Echo, I'll try setting a group up for her.  As Alexa app shows this as a device type 'Smartplug' I'm expecting it not to work based on cgmartins findings.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:50:11 pm by Mark.butler1 »