Author Topic: Homewave on iPhone X and the 'notch'  (Read 295 times)

Offline Spanners

• https://www.livehouseautomation.com.au
Homewave on iPhone X and the 'notch'
« on: November 03, 2017, 04:37:56 am »
Anyone got a workaround for using Homewave on the iPhone X?

It scales up and uses all of the screen real estate which is nice, unfortunately some of the menus are inaccessible as they're sitting behind the notch at the top of the screen.

If there's nothing you can do on the phone itself, I guess that changes will need to be made to the app.

Offline intveltr

Re: Homewave on iPhone X and the 'notch'
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:07:40 pm »
Current workaround I would suggest is the reachability feature, which slides an app down half a screen so you can reach the top buttons while working the phone with one hand.

First enable reachibility: in Settings->General->Accessibility
Then swipe down on the home indicator.  The app should slide down, revealing the hidden menus.

Not very convenient, I know.  I have already submitted a new version to support the iPhone X for review.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline intveltr

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 06:43:31 pm »
Also, what on earth were Apple thinking when they introduced that notch?
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline Spanners

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 11:34:14 pm »
Also, what on earth were Apple thinking when they introduced that notch?

I'm ambivalent about it. It houses some gadgets that had to go somewhere, either in the screen or a wider bezel. The vast majority of the time the two upper corners have the time and Wifi/Battery/Cellular status parked up there - stuff that used to take up space the apps were using.

Offline intveltr

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:40:22 am »
At the moment HomeWave will put the connection status, setup and settings buttons in the "ears".  This creates a bit more room for the screen title on the toolbar, but I'm not 100% happy with it.  Maybe I will put the clock, battery and LTE bars back in the ears once I figure out how to do that...  Managing this stuff is pretty easy with autolayout and storyboards, but this is an old app and it still uses the old-school screen management using constraints. :(

Edit: actually Apple might not approve of having those buttons there.  I'll have to think of something else.

Yes... those "ears" are every bit a design nightmare for app developers as was predicted.  And now I am extra happy that HomeWave doesn't do landscape mode on iPhones :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:54:00 am by intveltr »

Offline Spanners

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 07:00:16 pm »
Hi intveltr,

Latest update fixed the notch control issues - I think I've found another one though.

For the widgets that display 3 lines of text, the option to remove a line of text is no longer visible/accessible.

Any chance of another hotfix please? :)

Offline intveltr

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:38:02 am »
Is it not visible because it hides under the notch?  :P

Offline Spanners

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 06:44:24 am »
Hehe. Yes. 😬

Just enabled the screen pull down feature to check.