Author Topic: Upgrade - problems with DHCP servers due to Vera  (Read 153 times)

Offline rjwilson01

Upgrade - problems with DHCP servers due to Vera
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:07:04 pm »
Just thought I'd share a problem -
As my vera 3 no longer has enough memory to automatically upgrade - Ive been going through the process of resetting to default - upgrade and then restore everything - I've got a bit relaxed about it and discovered an awesome feature which after a bit of reading I sort of understand

I've upgraded - I've got my Vera connected only from the WAN port to my internal router/DHCP server and the Vera receives an address from my DHCP server.
However nothing else seems to set an IP address or not for quite a long time - I check my DHCP server and it is getting requests and is sending out reservations but I can see it doing this every couple of seconds for everdevice I power up.

So I check my windows 7 laptop event log and I see that it is receiving DHCP NACKs from the VERA. I assume that the NACK is a reply from the Vera to the DHCP Confirm from the laptop back to my server and so that causes my laptop to release the address received from my DHCP server.
Disabling the Vera DHCP server does fix this.

From one of the vera WIki pages:
Vera tries to obtain an IP address on the WAN port using DHCP.  If Vera gets an internal IP address from another router, namely an address that starts with 192.168., or 172., or 10., then Vera assumes you already have a network router sharing your network connection and a DHCP server giving out IP addresses.   So Vera goes into 'switch' mode. 
So I think the Vera DHCP server (which I would think should only ever be active on the LAN ) was left on and so got bridged to the WAN - and then started gratuitously responding to successful DHCP transactions from other servers

Its done it over two upgrades so far - this time I was a lot quicker in remembering what it was
Vera 3 , Vera Lite, 3 Dimmable Lights, 2 LED Lights, 4 Multisensnor 3, 3 Multisensor 4, 3 Frostdale swithches, 1 SQBlaster, 4 Smartswitch, 4 SmartSwitch 5, Eagle, Aeon Home PowerMonitor, 1 Extender

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
Re: Upgrade - problems with DHCP servers due to Vera
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 05:48:40 am »
Hello there,

As far as I remember, Vera 3's might have had this  DHCP issue in the past. But the good news is that this can be easily addressed by our Customer Care team through a support ticket.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm