Author Topic: Using Micro / Nano Switchs to Control Fan Speed?  (Read 560 times)

Offline Sammy2

Re: Using Micro / Nano Switchs to Control Fan Speed?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 05:06:01 pm »
I guess this is the rest of the puzzle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM45eDYtUjE

Offline cc4005

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 05:20:20 pm »
I guess this is the rest of the puzzle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM45eDYtUjE

Pretty much. Lots of folks make similar speed controllers. Was writing this as you posted...

Can I just use several of those enerwave (or similar) switches to turn on and off various resistors such that different speeds can be accomplished? That would be too easy!

Sounds a little complicated to me, but maybe simple for you! ;-)

If you don't have to have remote speed control--only on/off control from Vera--then I'd just put one of the enerwave or nano switches (not dimmer) ahead of a standard speed controller of this type for the fan:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/StandAloneControls/FanControls/Skylark/Overview.aspx
And for the light either use a nano dimmer coupled with a standard toggle/paddle switch or a z-wave wall switch.

In theory it could be accomplished with something like this:
https://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/fan-controls/de-hummer/ls-series/lsdc163pwv.aspx
with a nano switch ahead of the fan control side and a nano dimmer in line with the light switch side. But everything wouldn't fit in a 1-gang box (my current problem, and my walls are plaster so enlarging it isn't trivial) and would have to be sure the dimmer slider stays in the 100% position.

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 05:36:36 pm »
My wall switch is a simple capacitor-type fan speed controller. If the nano switch can be used to control a fan motor, then it will replace the speed control switch.

Just took a quick look at the aeotec website and tot sure the nano is suitable for motor loads. Appears to only list lighting as supported loads. If you haven't already, you might want to check with them.

FYI Is fine for most domestic fans. From https://aeotec.com/z-wave-light-dimmer-switch: "Fan control. Control your lights and control your ceiling fans. Nano Dimmer can be wired to turn some ceiling fans as powerful as 100 watts on and off, and control their speeds."

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 05:42:16 pm »
For the fans in question, they are on the back patio and only have power to them, no wall switches. The same circuit feeds all three fan / lights and there's one junction box around the corner on the side of the house where that on-off Z-Wave switch resides. I want something in the canopies of these three fans to replace the proprietary controller. I think I'm getting there but need to dis-assemble the fan to see what is up there. I'm considering betting one from amazon warehouse deals and dissecting it, performing surgery then swapping them one by one, finally returning the last one when done..

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 05:46:56 pm »
Back to the video above.. It seems that I can use the nano switches or even those enerwave or similar switches to pass the current through different capacitors for varying speeds, no? I suppose I need a lot of capacitors and a few project boards..

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:49 pm »
For the fans in question, they are on the back patio and only have power to them, no wall switches. The same circuit feeds all three fan / lights and there's one junction box around the corner on the side of the house where that on-off Z-Wave switch resides. I want something in the canopies of these three fans to replace the proprietary controller. I think I'm getting there but need to dis-assemble the fan to see what is up there. I'm considering betting one from amazon warehouse deals and dissecting it, performing surgery then swapping them one by one, finally returning the last one when done..

OK - keep in mind the 100W/1.5amp max draw. If you want to put the nano switch in the gang box this is likely to be fine for one fan, maybe even two, but three is quite likely to be pushing the envelope. I'd personally consider putting one at each fan (between power and fan) and - optionally - a simple on off switch at the gang box. Then you can manually turn the fans on/off if you want, but normally would simply leave the switch 'on' and control the fans via Vera.

Offline cc4005

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 06:15:40 pm »
FYI Is fine for most domestic fans. From https://aeotec.com/z-wave-light-dimmer-switch: "Fan control. Control your lights and control your ceiling fans. Nano Dimmer can be wired to turn some ceiling fans as powerful as 100 watts on and off, and control their speeds."
Good catch...I missed that. Thanks!

Assuming the z-wave signal isn't blocked by the canopies, a nano dimmer on the fan and a nano or enerwave switch on the lights (times 3 fans) should do the trick after the RF controller is removed. Not an inexpensive proposition, but should achieve the desired result.

Back to the video above.. It seems that I can use the nano switches or even those enerwave or similar switches to pass the current through different capacitors for varying speeds, no? I suppose I need a lot of capacitors and a few project boards..
Don't need speed control caps with the nano dimmer. The dimmer should be able to provide variable speed control based on the website, as ninkasi pointed out above. You WILL need a single motor starter cap for each fan which can be scavenged from the abandoned RF controllers or purchased from amazon.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:49 pm »
I need to find out the wattage of those fans..

Here it is..

Motor Type   AC
Angle Mount Capable   Yes
Manufacturer Color/Finish   Antique Bronze
Dual Fan Heads   No
Wattage Equivalent   60

That is 0.5 amps at 120 volts (plus a bit more for losses etc) so It looks like I'm good to go! Now to break out my wallet as they are $60 each or $120 per fan x3 is $360! Wow!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:10:14 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:56 pm »
On my to do list to control my 4 fans is to simply place a z-wave switch at the 4 locations. My fans typically run in summer to keep air circulating, and in winter in the living room where I have a cathedral ceiling to move the warm air around the living room. I am only interested in setting up some PLEG logic to:
1) turn off all 4 fans when we are in Away or Vacation Mode.
2) turn off the office and den fans in Night Mode.
3) turn off the bedroom fan in Home Mode.
4) turn off the office, den, and bedroom fans during the winter (outside temperature < 45)

Night is controlled by a PLEG schedule, Home/Away by iPhone Locator, and Vacation is a manual setting.

Otherwise the fans are on.

Fan speed and direction I typically control manually and it really is seasonal when I make the changes.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 12:14:49 pm »
On my to do list to control my 4 fans is to simply place a z-wave switch at the 4 locations. My fans typically run in summer to keep air circulating, and in winter in the living room where I have a cathedral ceiling to move the warm air around the living room. I am only interested in setting up some PLEG logic to:
1) turn off all 4 fans when we are in Away or Vacation Mode.
2) turn off the office and den fans in Night Mode.
3) turn off the bedroom fan in Home Mode.
4) turn off the office, den, and bedroom fans during the winter (outside temperature < 45)

Night is controlled by a PLEG schedule, Home/Away by iPhone Locator, and Vacation is a manual setting.

Otherwise the fans are on.

Fan speed and direction I typically control manually and it really is seasonal when I make the changes.
I have several with simple off on and for $120 a pop they'll be staying that way for a while.. thing is they get out of sync with one remote so I want to control them with my phone.. so maybe next summer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 05:25:21 pm »
I should mention it currently has no wall switch.. Proprietary RF controller only.

Why not try a Broadlink Pro3 for the RF link. They are heaps cheaper than the nano's.
There is a PlugIn by cybermage for them available with a Voice Control version coming soon courtesy of RTS of PLEG fame.
Worst case scenario is that they don't work, then you can use them on your AV equip.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:59 pm »
I should mention it currently has no wall switch.. Proprietary RF controller only.

Why not try a Broadlink Pro3 for the RF link. They are heaps cheaper than the nano's.
There is a PlugIn by cybermage for them available with a Voice Control version coming soon courtesy of RTS of PLEG fame.
Worst case scenario is that they don't work, then you can use them on your AV equip.

Do you have any more info on this? Are these Broadlinks able to be controlled by Vera? I found the Plugin but how to get the RF commands from the Ceiling Fan Remote to the Broadlink repeater? Does it have a learning function or database similar to what Harmony has?

Thanks!l
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:06:06 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 03:27:19 pm »
Whether the Broadlink will work or not depends on the frequency of the fan remote AND the frequency that the Broadlink Pro supports...

The Broadlink Pro is available in 3 varieties.... 1) 315Mhz + IR, 2) 433Mhz + IR and 3) 315Mhz + 433Mhz + IR.

You need to be careful when you purchase a device, as you may not get what you expected... IE: I ordered a device advertised as 315Mhz + 415Mhz + IR and what was delivered was a unit that supported 433Mhz + IR.

Many of the popular ceiling fans (in North America) operate on 303.9Mhz, so depending on the specific receiver in the fan and transmitter in the Broadlink, A Broadlink Pro that supports 315Mhz may work, as the frequency usually has a +/-5% variance...

In the broadlink e-Control app, you can easily record IR commands. Once the commands are learned in e-Control, you can then import them into my plugin.

The plugin supports sending RF codes, but does not yet support learning RF codes.
EVL3Vista - Wink Connect - Caseta Connect - Venstar Colortouch - WiFi UDP Switch Controller - Broadlink RM - MyQGateway

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 07:52:28 am »
Whether the Broadlink will work or not depends on the frequency of the fan remote AND the frequency that the Broadlink Pro supports...

The Broadlink Pro is available in 3 varieties.... 1) 315Mhz + IR, 2) 433Mhz + IR and 3) 315Mhz + 433Mhz + IR.

You need to be careful when you purchase a device, as you may not get what you expected... IE: I ordered a device advertised as 315Mhz + 415Mhz + IR and what was delivered was a unit that supported 433Mhz + IR.

Many of the popular ceiling fans (in North America) operate on 303.9Mhz, so depending on the specific receiver in the fan and transmitter in the Broadlink, A Broadlink Pro that supports 315Mhz may work, as the frequency usually has a +/-5% variance...

In the broadlink e-Control app, you can easily record IR commands. Once the commands are learned in e-Control, you can then import them into my plugin.

The plugin supports sending RF codes, but does not yet support learning RF codes.

Do you know how to find the frequency of a particular fan? Can the Broadlink itself learn the RF commands from the fan's remotes and then allow your plugin to control them (of course assuming the frequency is correct)?

BTW, my fans and remote(s) have 4 dip switches so that you can communicate with up to four fans independently. I believe these dip switches change the frequency of the remote and receiver on the fan but am not completely sure. Furthermore, googling the FCC ID on the back results in this.

Thanks, especially for writing the plugin but also for responding here.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:20:10 am by Sammy2 »

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:01 am »
googling the FCC ID on the back results in this.

And reading that page, give the info

Operational Frequencies 303.9-303.9 MHz

And, going further, under exhibits, the "Operational Description" document also tells you the frequency...

The signal is modulated by SAW, C13, C14, C2 and C3 with frequency 303.9 MHz.

BTW, my fans and remote(s) have 4 dip switches so that you can communicate with up to four fans independently. I believe these dip switches change the frequency of the remote

The DIP switches do *NOT* change the frequency... They change the ID code embedded in the signal that is transmitted....

With four switches, the remote/receiver supports up to 16 independent units.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:08:10 am by cybrmage »
EVL3Vista - Wink Connect - Caseta Connect - Venstar Colortouch - WiFi UDP Switch Controller - Broadlink RM - MyQGateway