Author Topic: Using Micro / Nano Switchs to Control Fan Speed?  (Read 532 times)

Offline Sammy2

Re: Using Micro / Nano Switchs to Control Fan Speed?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 10:17:28 am »
googling the FCC ID on the back results in this.

And reading that page, give the info

Operational Frequencies 303.9-303.9 MHz

And, going further, under exhibits, the "Operational Description" document also tells you the frequency...

The signal is modulated by SAW, C13, C14, C2 and C3 with frequency 303.9 MHz.

BTW, my fans and remote(s) have 4 dip switches so that you can communicate with up to four fans independently. I believe these dip switches change the frequency of the remote

The DIP switches do *NOT* change the frequency... They change the ID code embedded in the signal that is transmitted....

With four switches, the remote/receiver supports up to 16 independent units.

I'm sorry. I did read that frequency but was on the way out the door and somehow thought it was 303MHz to 309MHz when quickly reading it. Of course that makes perfect sense on the number supported with 4 dip switches.. DOH.

So it may or may not work with 315MHz from the Broadlink? Is it worth a try?

As to the plugin.. I haven't put it on my Vera yet because there's nothing to control with it but with the plugin I'll be able to set it up for fan speed and light dimming in Vera using the existing fan controller if I can get the Broadlink to talk to the fan contorller?

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:07 am »
Further research yields the controller within the fan can be had for $30. I may just buy one to dissect. I'll probably find the capacitors mentioned in the posts above and go from there in setting up Z-Wave control but the Broadlink RF Controller and plugin have me interested as well..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:43:32 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 12:13:39 pm »
Another thing comes to mind.. Is it possible to change the RF receiver in the controller unit to 315MHz or 433MHz to use with the Broadlink controller?

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 03:08:59 pm »
Another thing comes to mind.. Is it possible to change the RF receiver in the controller unit to 315MHz or 433MHz to use with the Broadlink controller?

It is not (realistically, for an end user) possible to change the frequency of the receiver... If you could, the receiver is now on a different frequency than the remote, so you no longer have a device that you can learn the codes from... so you would have to change the remote also.

The better option would be to find a remote/receiver combo that operates on 433MHz or 315MHz...

Quick search shows...
Hunter 45012 (IN2TX73) or 45051 (IN2TX72) operate at 433.92MHz

EVL3Vista - Wink Connect - Caseta Connect - Venstar Colortouch - WiFi UDP Switch Controller - Broadlink RM - MyQGateway

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 03:24:54 pm »

It is not (realistically, for an end user) possible to change the frequency of the receiver... If you could, the receiver is now on a different frequency than the remote, so you no longer have a device that you can learn the codes from... so you would have to change the remote also.

The better option would be to find a remote/receiver combo that operates on 433MHz or 315MHz...

Quick search shows...
Hunter 45012 (IN2TX73) or 45051 (IN2TX72) operate at 433.92MHz

If I'm reading this correctly, I would need to get those Hunter devices and the 433MHz Broadlink device to control these fans with your plugin or is it still not possible because your plugin cannot record RF commands (yet). It seems I would only need one, maybe two for the entire house, Broadlinks but would need to change out the receivers in the fans I want to control with Vera. Some of the fans are Hunter already so I should find out if they already have the desired receivers in them. BTW, do I need a remote for each receiver or just the receivers in the canopy and only one remote?

TIA

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:58 pm »
Just realized that those are light controllers and not fan / light controllers. I'm still searching for the Holy Grail Controller. Other than going through each device one by one on the fccid site is there a better way to search by frequency? TIA

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 04:43:10 pm »
Further research yields the controller within the fan can be had for $30. I may just buy one to dissect. I'll probably find the capacitors mentioned in the posts above and go from there in setting up Z-Wave control but the Broadlink RF Controller and plugin have me interested as well..

I just looked at the picture of that controller on my 32" monitor rather than my laptop and see 5+5 uF so it would seem it merely has two 5 uF capacitors inside and I could get two capacitors per fan and two Nano Dimmers per fan but WOW, that is going to cost $150 per fan to convert them so I'm not so sure it is even worth my time and effort!

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:37 pm »
It seems that this controller and remote operates on 315MHz and would be compatible with the Broadlink RF device..

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 04:59:04 pm »
Obviously, all other options have been exhausted apart from using a Z-UNO.
In this case it would be a DIY solution but you can control up 8 channels (8 relays) fairly easily or more if you want to get really into C.

FWIW, this kit will give you a general idea, you can use similar componentry to build your own.

https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.com.au/Chargers-Power-Supplies-Connectors/Black-Cat-Starter-Kits./Z-Wave-4-Channel-Relay

edit: Looks like Sammy2 found a solution.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:00:46 pm by zedrally »
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2017, 08:50:04 pm »
I'm sorry for the misdirected frustration. How would one go about DIY'ing this for fan control?

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 09:02:14 pm »
I hear you! Welcome to the land of Z-Wave, a source of continual frustration.

Now I will preface this with, I have not done this myself, but several of our clients have used 2 double relays and hacked the wiring to provide 3 switches to switch in the different ballast.
2 doubles can become expensive, especially if you have several fans, the idea behind using a Z-Uno is that you can switch more relays for a lower cost.
It is a DYI solution and involves C programming.
A good place to start would be to surf to
http://z-uno.z-wave.me/  and look at the examples, IIRC there is a 4 channel relay example with code for you to decide if this is for you.

There is no reason why you couldn't use 1 Z-UNO to control all of your fans, so it really becomes a viable option.
Good luck with the project and if you do go ahead let everyone know on the Z-UNO thread.  [size=78%]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,90.0.html[/size]
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.