Author Topic: Can't login to my Vera  (Read 191 times)

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
Can't login to my Vera
« on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:57 am »
OK so I have decided to resurrect my Vera after 9 months or so since it crashed. Strange thing is when i plugged it in again. It simply started working again. This is very odd because I couldn't even get the thing to boot up when i decommissioned it. This was probably caused by some issue not on my controller but most likely MIOS's servers which I am told you are able to use the controller without an internet connection. I still do not understand how that works if I login against those servers.

But at any rate.. the new problem I am now having is this..

When i do go to login the MIOS servers tell me my device is offline. So I removed the Vera from my MIOS account. and re add it. The Vera was discovered just fine. It went through the whole process of adding the Vera to my account just fine. And when i got back to the page to select the Vera low and behold it says it is offline right after it discovered it and did it's thing to add it. I am not able to update the firmware. I am not able to access a vary large portion of the Vera without logging in. and it won't let me login if the MIOS servers state the unit is offline.

So problems are.
Mios servers can see the Vera but state it's offline.
I am not able to use a large portion of the unit without logging in to the MIOS servers correctly. Which means that an internet connection is needed to use the unit. That was the single biggest reason why i bought this unit 4 years ago. I was able to access 100% of the unit with UI5 it would handle the authentication it's self. So now because of some issue with the MIOS servers my unit is unusable apparently again. I am thinking i should be refunded my 250 USD I paid for this thing. Or make it work properly and not break every time I go and login or access the UI on it. These are issues that are being caused by the company servers not a device malfunction. These are problems that extend past any hardware warranty because they are software related issues.

Would someone at MIOS please fix this thing. I do not have it overloaded at all i have 16 dimmers/switches, 1 wall pad, thermostat. I have 5 plugins installed. Weather Underground, ERGY, Honeywell wifi, Samsung Smart Home (has never worked),  Alternate UI. This is far from being over loaded. I am always faced with that damned spinning wheel for 20-40 seconds anytime i change anything. and sometimes that wheel is there for a couple of minutes. If there is a way to make this thing not be like that kid riding the little yellow bus wearing a helmet and licking the window would be a big help.

Thanks
K

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Can't login to my Vera
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »
OK and the problem is on the MIOS servers once again...

If I try to add the Vera manually I get prompted to enter the serial and MAC address... and it errors stating invalid serial and MAC address. I have tried more then once and the numbers are gotten from the bottom of the unit. When the Vera is not added and you try to access the UI the Vera crashes. Again back to the it will not operate standalone which is the largest reason for me purchasing this thing.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »
Hello there,

All Vera servers and services are up and running https://status.getvera.com/ . Your issues should be of a different nature. Maybe you had some static IP when you last used it, and it cannot pickup a new DHCP IP from your router.

You cannot add manually, Vera again since you still have two usernames attached to it.

Vera Customer Care team will gladly help if contacted (see my signature). And I strongly suggest logging a ticket or calling and they will give you a hand ASAP.

John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline additude

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 06:56:00 am »
I don't know which Vera you have and I am only familiar with the Vera plus but:
1. Have you tried a factory default reset using the reset button on the device?
2. You can log in locally by finding out what the IP address your router assigns to your controller and typing that IP address into your browser address bar.
3. Contact support and provide your units serial number. I've had the same or similar problems and support got me back into the box.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:17:24 am »
OK so this is the deal. when i try to manually add it to my account it states that it is an invalid mac address or serial number. which it is neither of those.

if i add it the automatic way. it finds and adds the vera just fine. but it then states after adding it that it is offline.

If i do not have the vera registered to my account it is 100% unusable it just sits there with it's wheels spinning even tho is still connected to the internet. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the MIOS servers because if the Vera can see the servers and knows it is attached to an account but the server states it is offline just after registering the unit. that kind of points a finger at the server.

I attempted to do a firmware upgrade using a link from this forum that i could paste into the field in the vera. It started the process but 25 minutes later still had not done anything. when i unplugged it and plugged it back in the firmware in the unit is still the same.

I am not able to install or uninstall any plugins even tho it states that it did they do not get added to my plugins list or removed from it. even after a power cycle of the vera.

I have had to deal with the support team once before and the person made a bigger mess and actually bricked my unit to which i spent hours getting sorted out with the help of your support team. The whole thing where there are 2 users accounts was supposed to have been fixed a very long while ago. thatis because of that crazy upgrade process that MIOS came up with to migrate from ui5 to ui7 and having to set up a new account with the second server and they couldn't have the same username.. something to that affect..

There should only be one account for my unit. and how can a Vera be registered on 2 accounts at the same time??? that would would assume is a problem in and of it's self. and my unit has the same IP address it has had for the past 3 years. I run my own DHCP server (and not one that is builtin to a router). I reset the network bits just to make sure as well. and still it does not function. It also states in the vera that the internet connection is working.

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:23:51 am »
One other thing is. I have the vera set to obtain an IP from my DNCP server. and this it does. if i try to set it to static IP address and I enter the information when i click on save it reverts back to the DHCP.

Offline additude

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 12:06:51 pm »
I don't think your last issue is related, but unless you are sure of what you are doing, don't set a static IP unless you know for a fact that you do not have another client on that same IP on your LAN. Just set a reserved IP on your router for the client MAC.

It sounds like the mios server has some issues so I suggest you contact support to resolve. If the problem is on their end, only they can fix it.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline kdschlosser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:36 pm »
Well i did manage to find the cause of the problem. and I do not know why this would cause these kinds of issues. But... the ERGY plugin filled up one of the partitions with it's log file. I do not recall what the error was in the log off the top of my head. But some kind of a notification from the Vera that the partition was full and a way to clear ALL logs would be nice.

The lack of any error messages and the MIOS server adding the unit but saying it's offline is very misleading.

The 2 issue were related because when changing the network config it was unable to write the new config information. again. No error for this either.

Offline additude

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:49:04 am »
It's nice that you were able to resolve your problem.

I know from experience that full hard drives/media storage devices can cause a multitude of headaches and inconsistent symptoms.

.... now, on to the next problem  ;D ;D

I'm sure there will be more.