Author Topic: Preventing false changing to away mode  (Read 144 times)

Offline PrincessCleavage

Preventing false changing to away mode
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »
I have had several instance when I am at home and Vera has decided to change to away mode. Currently we have two phones with geo fencing (iPhone and android Oppo phone), what do others use to ensure away mode is not triggered (and siren going off) while we are at home? Is there a fob device or perhaps static I.p addressing for the phones on home wifi and if responsive keep Vera in home mode? Up for any suggestions.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:25:34 pm by PrincessCleavage »

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
Re: Preventing false changing to away mode
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »
I use iPhone Locator and I have my home radius set to 0.1 miles, which allows me to me almost anywhere in my condo complex and still shows me home. When GPS wobbles a bit, it seems to be around 0.03 miles or so. I have had my mode set to Home once when my wife was driving by the condo but it went back to Away after about a minute.  Most of the time the main road is outside the home radius.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline kartcon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:22 am »
You can add the Ping Sensor as a secondary factor to determine home/away. For example the logic might look like this:
If Phone 1 is inside the Geofence AND is connected to my home network > Set Mode to Home. When using the Ping Sensor you'll need to set a fixed IP address for each phone in the router. This way you can configure the parameters in Ping Sensor to 'see' each phone and ignore visitors and other transient signals. Try setting it up with simple notifications at first, and if reliable, add it to your existing logic.

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:47 am »
You can add the Ping Sensor as a secondary factor to determine home/away. For example the logic might look like this:
If Phone 1 is inside the Geofence AND is connected to my home network > Set Mode to Home. When using the Ping Sensor you'll need to set a fixed IP address for each phone in the router. This way you can configure the parameters in Ping Sensor to 'see' each phone and ignore visitors and other transient signals. Try setting it up with simple notifications at first, and if reliable, add it to your existing logic.
Thanks for this Kartcon, I have now installed the ping sensor, setup static address leases for the two phones and I can setup a ping and an action to change mode to home if ping sensor is triggered and also house modes app is set to away then change to home if both triggers are true. The strange thing is from the Vera web interface I can not see the option in the trigger view to set that both triggers have to be active at the same time for the action to take place but from the iPhone app I can see this option for this scene but when I try to apply it I get a message that the app is unable to connect at this time:-/
This could be network related (or a bug) but as I am connected to home wifi I would expect the iPhone Vera app to have a direct connection to Vera hub on the same subnet?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:57:20 am by PrincessCleavage »

Offline kartcon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:53:08 pm »
OK, I think I understand your problem and have a solution. You need TWO instances of the Ping Sensor, one for each device. I use PLEG for all my logic, not scenes. This is the general setup I use: (Art=me, Steff=wife)

Code: [Select]
t_Ping_Art_Home Ping Arts I-Phone is not Tripped true 2017-11-14 17:39:49.162 2017-11-14 17:39:14.159
t_Ping_Steff_Home Ping Steffs I-Phone is not Tripped true 2017-11-14 16:20:20.239 2017-11-14 15:55:29.154
t_Art_Present IPhoneLocator - Art is present true 2017-11-14 17:32:19.203 2017-11-14 07:08:21.665
t_Steff_Present IPhoneLocator- Steff is present true 2017-11-14 15:32:01.894 2017-11-14 13:08:33.039

c_SomeoneHome Repeats (t_Art_Present AND t_Ping_Art_Home) OR (t_Steff_Present AND t_Ping_Steff_Home) true 2017-11-14 17:32:19.211 2017-11-14 13:08:33.050

c_NoOneHome Repeats (NOT t_Art_Present AND t_Ping_Art_Home) AND (NOT t_Steff_Present AND t_Ping_Steff_Home) false 2017-11-14 13:08:33.047 2017-11-14 17:32:19.210

Hope this helps.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:09:35 am »
Wow, I have been using the Vera's geofencing feature for almost a year now and have never had both of our phones report that they are outside the geofence when they were not.
Did you find out what was causing this?

Offline PrincessCleavage

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 02:13:39 am »
Wow, I have been using the Vera's geofencing feature for almost a year now and have never had both of our phones report that they are outside the geofence when they were not.
Did you find out what was causing this?
I think with the new Vera firmware update they the trigger to change to away mode has changed. The resent false alerts seem to coincide with adding a new device and perhaps lup engine gets reloaded and if neither of the Vera apps have internet access it select away mode. I recently added a device that requires you to connect to the adhoc network with your mobile ( no internet access) and join the device to your local wifi network and around the same time I added a plugin app to Vera for the new device possibly triggering a lup engine reload. This is all speculation and just my observations. I tried the ping sensor but started to observe that the iPhone will not respond to ping requests when locked, making that method useless. For the moment I have increased the home geo fence to 210mtrs to rule in or out that geo fencing boundary could be the issue (I am guessing it won?t be tho, hence my first assumption)