Author Topic: Is it worth going from a Vera3 to a Veraplus or wait?  (Read 209 times)

Offline dannieboiz

Is it worth going from a Vera3 to a Veraplus or wait?
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:26:46 pm »
Been running on UI5 for the longest time. I took the plunged today and upgraded back to UI7 and to my surprise, seems like all the things I needed working works with one exception... I'm out of memory.

Long story short, I'm tempted to buy a VeraPlus hoping things will operate faster with the additional memory available on the Vera3, also I have a few Zwave plus device so might as well.

Was wondering if anyone went this route and is happy?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
Re: Is it worth going from a Vera3 to a Veraplus or wait?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:47:28 am »
You should plan on rebuilding from scratch.
There is an upgrade path ... but there are gremlins that you will fight.
Rebuild from scratch and you will be on par with UI5 with more memory and faster speed.

Offline dannieboiz

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:32:15 am »
Rebuild from scratch and you will be on par with UI5 with more memory and faster speed.

I get what you're saying but it's not as simple as that. I have years of scenes creations and integration with Google Assistant and all kinds of stuff. Re-pairing my device will be a one full day task alone.

But FWIW, I did a backup, factory reset upgrade firmware and restored. All working ok again for now. But I hate the interface LOL

Offline bucko

• Travel and Living in China
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:55:41 am »

I get what you're saying but it's not as simple as that. I have years of scenes creations and integration with Google Assistant and all kinds of stuff. Re-pairing my device will be a one full day task alone.

But FWIW, I did a backup, factory reset upgrade firmware and restored. All working ok again for now. But I hate the interface LOL

You did the factory upgrade/reset/backup on your Vera 3? Please explain. I am looking to do the same thing.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:45 pm »
http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2591718-how-do-you-factory-reset-a-vera-controller-

This is the only way I can update the firmware due to low memory. In essence:
1) backup with z-wave.
2) factory reset. This should install the latest firmware.
3) reboot
4) Log in using a LAN connection. Connect to your Wi-Fi.  Reboot. If you are wired to your network, this is not necessary.
5) Restore from backup with z-wave.

All takes about 30 minutes.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline dannieboiz

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:51:50 pm »
http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2591718-how-do-you-factory-reset-a-vera-controller-

This is the only way I can update the firmware due to low memory. In essence:
1) backup with z-wave.
2) factory reset. This should install the latest firmware.
3) reboot
4) Log in using a LAN connection. Connect to your Wi-Fi.  Reboot. If you are wired to your network, this is not necessary.
5) Restore from backup with z-wave.

All takes about 30 minutes.

that's exactly it...

I actually went back to UI5. If you're doing this in UI7 be very patience, if your status page is still restoring z-wave networks you can't control anything. In UI5 you can.