We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Electronic Fireplace Control  (Read 710 times)

Offline Craw

Electronic Fireplace Control
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:50 am »
Hey everyone,
I have an electric fireplace that has a remote with 4 settings:
1. Lights on
2. Heat setting 1 (remote send same signal as lights on x2)
3. Heat setting 2 (remote send same signal as lights on x3)
4.Off
I have successfully decoded the 433MHz binary signal and can send the lights on and lights off signal via an ESP8266 connected to a transmitter.  I uploaded some code for it to function as a webserver so that when I get my Amazon Echo Plus (I live in Canada) next month it can recognize the device and send the signals.

My concern is that it will only send the lights on signal and I'm unsure how to code the Heat 1 & 2 settings eventhough its the same signal just sent multiple times.  Is there anyway I could have Vera recognize my ESP8266 to trigger the 4 functions through a switch in the device UI from my phone?  Im also open to other suggestions for operation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline ninkasi

Re: Electronic Fireplace Control
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:59:59 pm »
Really interesting! I also have a fireplace that is on my list of things to control. I've ordered a Broadlink RM2 Pro and am hoping that can do the job (both for the fireplace as well as a projector screen), but if that doesn't work then I'll probably build something like you have. Would be interested to hear how you 'sniffed' the code - I tried it once without much success, although I may have had a faulty module.

I use a number of ESP8266 and arduino pro minis via mysensors, and have that all integrated into Vera. Although all my kit operate as sensors (eg temperature, door, etc) you can create 'actuator' modules that can be used to switch lights or send IR or no doubt RF commands (eg https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/682/relay-actuator-sketch-auto-off-function/13). If I had your issue, given I'd be using mysensors, I'd probably just hard code the multiple code sends into the mysensor code itself....

Anyhow, my fireplace remote has discreet buttons for on/off etc so I don't have your issue, but you could probably consider using a scene that, when activated, just sends the command to the ESP8266 multiple times. That scene can then be assigned to a button if you use something like ImperiHome. Actually, ImperiHome can also assign http requests to a button so you could use that instead.... Only issue there is of course you can't create a scene in Vera that turns on/off the fireplace.

Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline Craw

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »
Thanks ill give see what I can do to work the code into a scene.  Also here is the link to a youtube video that really helped me get the fireplace to work and decode the signal... I had to adjust the Rc-Switch CPP file to only transmit 3 bursts of the code as opposed to 10 as per the default by the variable was easy to find.  Just a word of caution if your using Win10 you will need to install some drivers to get the SDR dongle working as well as allow your PC to see the ESP8266.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDtSgqbBic

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:33:25 pm »
Thanks ill give see what I can do to work the code into a scene.  Also here is the link to a youtube video that really helped me get the fireplace to work and decode the signal... I had to adjust the Rc-Switch CPP file to only transmit 3 bursts of the code as opposed to 10 as per the default by the variable was easy to find.  Just a word of caution if your using Win10 you will need to install some drivers to get the SDR dongle working as well as allow your PC to see the ESP8266.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDtSgqbBic

Thanks for the hint(s). In hindsight I have a horrible feeling I may not have put an antenna on the module! Massive brain fade.... lol
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome