We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Twitter controlled x-mas tree.  (Read 437 times)

Offline incarta95

Twitter controlled x-mas tree.
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:15:46 am »
I know this is kind of crazy... I've dabbled in z-wave before but only with a usb stick, 1 device and open remote. (So I am a noob)

My boss gave me a VeraLite.  I am ordering a z-wave power strip to start off.

I will be plugging my x-mas tree lights into the power strip.

Does anyone know of any Lua code I can use in the VeraLite that uses Twitters new API?

Basically I want to control my xmas lights with various hashtags sent to my Twitter account.

Can I do this with just the VeraLite?

Offline Don Phillips

Re: Twitter controlled x-mas tree.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »
I do not know about using Twitter but there are apps that allow you to control Vera.  I use VeraMate and I can turn on/off a wall outlet by pressing a button.

In my case, I use PLEG to turn off that outlet when either one of us leaves, and turn on in the morning and off at night. And that functionality only works from mid-November to mid January. So starting last week, the outlet is on as I type this.

This weekend, we will be setting up our Christmas Tree and plugging it into this outlet so the lights are on when we are home and off at night and when we both leave.

After the New Year, we take down the tree and after mid-January, the outlet is left off most of the year.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline incarta95

Re: Twitter controlled x-mas tree.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:51:31 pm »
I do not know about using Twitter but there are apps that allow you to control Vera.  I use VeraMate and I can turn on/off a wall outlet by pressing a button.

In my case, I use PLEG to turn off that outlet when either one of us leaves, and turn on in the morning and off at night. And that functionality only works from mid-November to mid January. So starting last week, the outlet is on as I type this.

This weekend, we will be setting up our Christmas Tree and plugging it into this outlet so the lights are on when we are home and off at night and when we both leave.

After the New Year, we take down the tree and after mid-January, the outlet is left off most of the year.

Thanks for responding Don!

I am just upgrading firmware now. I am going to try the zwave power strip out I think because I believe I can control multiple plugs on the power bar (for different light strips).

I will let you know if I find a way to create a manual trigger from a twitter hashtag!