Author Topic: Changing the Vera Modes with Alexa  (Read 188 times)

Offline strojki

Changing the Vera Modes with Alexa
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:06:56 pm »
I successfully connected my Vera Edge with Alexa. I must admit that this is so far, the most convenient interface for defining scenes and actions. But, I wonder is it possible to change the Vera Mode with Alexa? For example, when I say "Alexa, I am home", automatically to set the Vera mode to  "Home". Or, when, for example, I say "Alexa, I am going to sleep" - to set it to the "Night" mode?

I have no idea is this possible, at all?

Offline fitz2380

Re: Changing the Vera Modes with Alexa
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:58:44 pm »
I have done this with my Alexa and Vera.  I use the HA bridge for my Alexa device interface and the House Modes plugin to change the vera modes.

When I tell Alexa to turn on 'away' mode, it actually runs a scene that is mapped to the 'away' device name and changes the mode to Away.  Likewise, when I come home I tell Alexa to turn on 'home' and it runs a scene that is mapped to a 'home' device name.  In addition, to changing the mode to home, it also turn on several lights in the house.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:31:36 pm »
I successfully connected my Vera Edge with Alexa. I must admit that this is so far, the most convenient interface for defining scenes and actions. But, I wonder is it possible to change the Vera Mode with Alexa? For example, when I say "Alexa, I am home", automatically to set the Vera mode to  "Home". Or, when, for example, I say "Alexa, I am going to sleep" - to set it to the "Night" mode?

I have no idea is this possible, at all?

I do not have Alexa (yet) but I do use the iPhone Locator app so it knows when me or my wife is home and sets Vera to Home Mode (or Away Mode when both of us are gone). Similarly, I use PLEG to set Night Mode at 9:30 pm (11 pm on Saturday night), Home Mode at 5:30 am during the week, and 7:00 am on the weekend. And when those modes are set, things like arming cameras, door sensors, and setting thermostat temperature all happen. The only thing I do manually is set Vacation Mode. I guess if I have Alexa, I could tell Alexa I am on Vacation.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Nameless

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:11:38 am »
If you're looking for a simple way to have Alexa switch the modes like Home, Away, and Night, here is what I use.
1. Install the Home Modes plugin
2. Create scenes that turn on each mode you plan to use. No need to create a scene that shuts them off.
3. Name your scenes something simple like "home mode".
4. Make these scenes discoverable through the Vera skill.
5. Run Alexa discovery and you can then switch the modes by asking Alexa to turn on whichever mode you want active.

Offline strojki

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 05:33:21 am »
Thank you guys, it helped. My problem was that I didn't know that House Modes Plugin exists, at all... This simplifies a lot of things.