We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Virtual Outdoor Temperature Inaccurate  (Read 385 times)

Offline tbearman

Virtual Outdoor Temperature Inaccurate
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:01:19 am »
I installed two Stelpro ZWave thermostats, and they seem to have been created as child devices of the Virtual Outdoor Temperature app. The temperature that this VOT app provides is wildly inaccurate. It is currently showing outdoor temp at 32 degrees when it is in fact over 40. The closest to freezing that any Wunderground station for dozens of miles around gets is 37. How can I change where this VOT gets its data from? If that isn't possible, can I change where the dashboard (top right corner)  gets its outdoor temp from? I've read here how to change where the thermostats get the outdoor temp, but I'd like the dashboard to be accurate as well.

Thanks.

Offline JohnRob

Re: Virtual Outdoor Temperature Inaccurate
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:58:05 pm »
I use the Wunderground app to get my local temperature etc through Wunderground.

The only thing to note is I had to sign up to a free Wunderground account to get the data through the app.   Its been installed for over a year and works fine.  Also I've not heard from Wunderground (adverts etc) during that time.

For my application I use the "cloudy" parameter to decide when to light some accent lights.

Offline Don Phillips

Re: Virtual Outdoor Temperature Inaccurate
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 09:23:22 pm »
I look at cloudy and precipitation. Here is my logic using PLEG to turn on lights as well as switch heating/cooling mode based on outside temperature.  Real handy in spring and fall.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1