Author Topic: Considering Beacons for non-resident occupancy.  (Read 107 times)

Offline Priest

Considering Beacons for non-resident occupancy.
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:04:21 pm »
I have seen where others are, or were, using beacons in various ways.

I've been contemplating for a while now, a way to accurately signal Vera when my parents are visiting. Often times, my wife and I only get to go out with each other when my parents are in town. This means she and I leave, the house goes into AWAY while occupied, things happen....  If I remember to, I override the auto away function and then its not a problem, until they leave in the middle of the day while we arent there and it stays in home mode.  I've decided this has gone too far, so I'm back on the search for a solution.

My thought right now is that I have a tablet I've set up to wall mount in the living room (not mounted yet) that has Vera mobile, Tasker, and Imperihome on it. It has no GPS, so no worries of screwing up my geofence. It does have bluetooth and this is what I want to leverage.  If I get a pair of beacons to give to my parents, I can set up tasker to check for those beacons. If it sees a beacon it should use imperihome to turn on a VS for occupancy, if not then turn it off.  Really, if this works I might try to leverage it even further with more beacons for more things.

My questions are:
-Is anyone using beacons in this manner, or are they placing static beacons and having their cell phone or tablet be the mobile piece that is locating based on the static beacons?
-What kind of range/interference problems are you seeing with beacons?  Would I need to have multiple devices (retired cellphones) scattered throughout the house to pick up beacons or would one tablet centrally located maybe do the job?
-Does anyone know of a battery powered beacon that has a power switch on it for them to shut it down and conserve battery while not in town? Or in the same vein, a rechargeable one?
-Does anyone see a problem with my logic in making this work?

Offline Priest

Re: Considering Beacons for non-resident occupancy.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:58:11 pm »
I'm going to bump this back up.  Anyone have any thoughts?