Author Topic: Smart Virtual Thermostat plugin - erratic behaviour, how to reset?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Forzaalfa

I have 5 of these running in the house, and I use them to switch to a lower temperature when i'm sleeping or away.

Lately, som of them don't work as intended, One is now showing setpoint 20 deg, and read temperature 15 without turning the heater on..

I suspect that it might be the self learning function that is confused, how can I reset the parameters for this? Or even better, turn it off?

All i need is something that holds the temperature within a couple degrees from setpoint..
Vera Plus - RFXtrx433e

Offline kulfsson

Re: Smart Virtual Thermostat plugin - erratic behaviour, how to reset?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:12:28 am »
I am also using about 5 of these myself and I am seeing similar issues. I have yet to find a surefire way to fix it. For me, a restart of the controller seems to work the best. Sometimes a luup restart works as well.

There is some work being done currently to update the Anthor Smart Virtual Thermostat and I am hoping this will bring it up to level and fix the issues what we are having and hopefully also add some Alexa controllability into the mix. Look it up here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,44287.0.html

Offline Forzaalfa

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 04:40:11 am »
Ok, restarts doesn't work for me, bu i tried to delete and recreate the instance, and then it responded as normal again (while the other 4 still runs as bad as before).

The learning function is probably good where there is no influence from other rooms, some of mine is in rooms that may have open doors over extended periods, and that may make some weird constants. A Reset button would at least fix the problem temporarily, until one gets an off switch for the self learning adjustments.
Vera Plus - RFXtrx433e

Offline Forzaalfa

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:40:32 am »
Now all of them are acting out.. one with a setpoint of 15?C is working seadily towards 22 now..  >:(

I'm considering changing these out for some scene control, is there any way to set up a virtual device i can set the temperature on, and mabye a max. diff? mabye PLEG is the solution here?
Vera Plus - RFXtrx433e

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:56:39 am »
You can reset the learning function by setting the AutoLearning variable to "0".

If you just need basic control without the "smart" part, try Auto Virtual Thermostat.

Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline Forzaalfa

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 02:52:56 am »
Ok, Thanks. I tried that, but it seems to go back to its wicked ways after a while.
I just tried to install the Auto thermostat, am i right in assuming that this is indifferent to the type of scale? I use celsius, but won't it just try to adjust to the set number anyway?

Still havent gotten it up and running though.. I only have a heater and the temperature sensor, no fan or cooler... Should still work right? Where can i read out whats wrong?

I did reload the Luup engine..
Vera Plus - RFXtrx433e

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 10:43:50 am »
AVT doesn't really care what the units of temperature are. If your system is set for C and your sensors are reporting in C, then set your setpoint temperature as you would in C. I am working on an update that will incorporate the first wave of features from Smart into AVT, and will also provide better defaults for C vs F, but that's strictly cosmetic.

You don't need to set up a fan or cooling unit if you don't have them. Just set it up for the equipment you have.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline kulfsson

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 11:11:13 am »
Great to hear that development is progressing. As for the auto learning in SVT, is that really the culprit for the stuck temperatures at times ?  What I see on my SVT's is that the setpoint will add a ,0 or ,5 to the number I have previously set, and from there on it won?t work correctly. That is the indication for me to restart the controller.

I use SVT in my summerhouse and what I really like and need are the functions in SVT of Eco & Comfort. When I plan to go to the summerhouse I have a LUA script that sets all SVTs to Comfort which heats the house and when I leave I set them to ECO. I even use ECO at night as well.

If Eco / Comfort could be added to AVT along with the possibility of controlling via Alexa and being more stable, I think you have a winner on your hands ;-)

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:48:31 am »
My development version of AVT includes Eco/Comfort settings, as you requested. My wife suggested that I may find Alexa under our Christmas tree this year.

What I see on my SVT's is that the setpoint will add a ,0 or ,5 to the number I have previously set, and from there on it won?t work correctly.

When you say it won't work correctly, what does it do or not do? Is that where, in your earlier comment, it just starts free-running past your 15C setpoint and was at 22C before you stopped it? Does it start working when you restart Luup?

Edit: Sorry, I see that was a different member. But nonetheless, what are your symptoms?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:50:06 am by rigpapa »

Offline Forzaalfa

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »
I just reinstalled the thermostat, and i'ts still not controlling anything. Looking at the variables, i get the heater and sensor in with the correct ID, and I get the temperature setting in correct too.

After a while now the temperature still reads "--.-?" on the thermostat, and the mode is "Heat".

I see that the ModeStatus is "InDeadBand"?

The setpoint is now 17 (both cool and hot), and the real temperature is 14.5?C..

Any Ideas?

Thanks for providing the community with plugins by the way!  :D
Vera Plus - RFXtrx433e

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 08:15:30 pm »
Does the AVT icon have a red warning triangle super-imposed on it?

Offline Forzaalfa

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 02:01:07 am »
Yes it does.
Vera Plus - RFXtrx433e

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 04:56:20 pm »
OK. That usually means that it's not happy with the temp sensor readings (and related, how Vera handles updates from some temp sensors--why, Vera, does my Aeotec MultiSensor 6 report two different temperatures depending on whether I ask the parent multisensor device or the child temperature device?!?).

To work around it, try setting the variable "MaxSensorDelay" to 0, the reload Luup.

Offline Forzaalfa

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 05:19:08 am »
That did the trick! It is a multisensor 6, so youre spot on there. :) Thanks!

For the future, it is the auto theromstat that will live on and incorporate the "smart", right? If thats so i will change to auto in the other rooms as well.

Do you think you can have a selector switch on the self learning function? I think mine gets confused when doors are open and other heaters affect the temperature..?
Vera Plus - RFXtrx433e

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 10:39:37 am »
I will definitely incorporate some smarts into AVT, although probably not the exact algorithm that Smart uses. The algorithm used there has good intentions, but the way Vera handles sensors kills the benefit. The implementation also loses some data on the heating cycle that slows convergence, and the parameters overall, as you've seen, are subject to "ringing" caused by environmental noise (doors opening, etc.). Anything I do for smarts will have a switch, default off, because I believe most environments don't actually need it for a binary state single-stage heating/cooling control.

Also, be aware that the default report interval for the Aeotec Multisensor 6 is 3600 seconds, one hour. That's a long time between temperature reports to be operating a thermostatic control against, so you'll want to turn that down (parameter 111) to something within your tolerance for battery life vs. thermostat accuracy. That applies to Smart, AVT, or any soft thermostat using those and similar sensors. The 6 has a delta-T reporting capability (parameter 40 to enable, 41 for threshold value), which seems potentially more useful, but I haven't played with that yet. Aeotec's docs say that parameter 41 (among others) is a 3-byte value, which is not an option UI7 has (1, 2, or 4 bytes only), so that makes me wonder if or how we could modify them. Maybe I'll try today and see what happens...