We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: GE 45613 - 3way dimmer worth buying for $20 bucks?  (Read 16675 times)

Offline akashk

GE 45613 - 3way dimmer worth buying for $20 bucks?
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:54:57 am »
Radioshack seems to be at it again with their el-cheapo z-wave stuff. I am looking at buying the subject switch http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3882042&clickid=cart but amazon reviews seem to be scary. Should I even think of getting this (along with a cheap trane for $60  ;D)

Offline fmulder21

Re: GE 45613 - 3way dimmer worth buying for $20 bucks?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:23:54 am »
Radioshack seems to be at it again with their el-cheapo z-wave stuff. I am looking at buying the subject switch http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3882042&clickid=cart but amazon reviews seem to be scary. Should I even think of getting this (along with a cheap trane for $60  ;D)
I haven't had any issues with it. Worst case your out $20...

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:13:26 pm »
They work well...I have some of them in my house and they are version 3.0A that they are selling.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:05:25 pm »
They work well...I have some of them in my house and they are version 3.0A that they are selling.

So for clarity--these are incandescent loads only, or are they good for CFL as well?

--Richard

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:15:38 pm »

So for clarity--these are incandescent loads only, or are they good for CFL as well?

--Richard

Hmm...according to the manual, incandescent-only.  Does *anyone* besides Leviton make Z-wave dimmers for CFLs?

--Richard

Offline myhomeserver

• http://www.MyZwave.net
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:23:31 pm »
The amazon reviews and other bad reviews are probably due to the wiring of these.  Many older homes have no nuetral wires, and if you don't, these wont work. It also depends on the wiring of the lights, etc....

All of the GE stuff I've ever tested was top notch, good stuff and 2.0a and 3.0a support beaming for locks
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »
Just my .02 but I've had the GE stuff fail at a amazing rate. I bought a house full of the stuff and am now replacing them a room at a time. In other news...I have a bunch of these for sale  :D

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »
If you have any of the on/off type ones rather than a dimmer then I'd be up for buying some!?
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:56 pm »
Just my .02 but I've had the GE stuff fail at a amazing rate. I bought a house full of the stuff and am now replacing them a room at a time. In other news...I have a bunch of these for sale  :D

I can honestly say, that I have had a bunch of these switches in my house for over 2 years and have never had one single failure.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 11:22:48 pm »
I have had bad experience with the 3-Way GE switches.  Will not allow 100% brightness, which seems to be a common issue among many users.  I would not buy the 3-way.  The dimmer switches work fine.

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:52:38 pm »
If you have any of the on/off type ones rather than a dimmer then I'd be up for buying some!?

No, I'm afraid I don't have any of the on/off switches, just a LOT of dimmers.

I can honestly say, that I have had a bunch of these switches in my house for over 2 years and have never had one single failure.

My original reaction to all this zwave stuff has been it's either good or junk but I'm learning that it really depends on the application. I do have issue with GE's use of odd ball wiring (who uses candy cane striped wires?) but after having 6 of them go in about a month, I was personally done with them. I do have to say that once I got passed those and got rid of all the 3 way switches, they work well.

My advise to anyone who asks is simply, it's your house and what level of quality do you want? If you are good with something that's inexpensive but will likely have a high fail rate than go that route. I personally find that frustrating but can't afford to just buy a few dozen high quality switches so I buy 3 or 4 at a time.

Offline westguard

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 12:39:01 am »
Ignore the Amazon reviews, most of them describe a problem as a result of incorrectly wiring them up. I have 5 of the 3 way dimmers and have never had a problem with them and for $20 you can't really go wrong :)

Offline vera_nc

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »
Ignore the Amazon reviews, most of them describe a problem as a result of incorrectly wiring them up. I have 5 of the 3 way dimmers and have never had a problem with them and for $20 you can't really go wrong :)

Mine are wired CORRECTLY.  Have a Neutral wire and they DON'T work properly....

One is only 8 feet apart from the master and the other is farther (bottom/top of stairs).

Both only go to 50% brightness and recently, the one that is only 8 feet apart is now starting to randomly flash to full brightness.  I am replacing the flashing one with the Wayne-Dalton HA14WD and a regular remote switch.  The other one I increased the wattage of the bulbs to partially compensate for the brightness deficiency.

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:22:46 pm »
I just bought a "butt load" of these switches from Radio Shack, and will begin putting them in as soon as I get some free time.

Probably 90% of my house already has Z-wave light switches installed, but I think I'll be close to 98% when all is said and done.  Hopefully, my experience won't match vera_nc's!

"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:03:11 pm »
Same experience as vera_nc here!  I tried multiple ways to rectify this issue, including doubling the carrier wire.  The way my original switch was wired I had to bring power from one box to the other through a spare wire so I had the carrier signal and power in the 2 wires from Box A to Box B.  The only way I could make these switches work properly was to run a wire directly from one box to the other outside the wall as a test, and then I could get them to work correctly.  Any attempt to use the wiring in the wall failed.

Either one of 2 things are causing this:

1. Switches too far apart - This is ridiculous as my switches are the same as millions of 3-way applications at the top and bottom of a stairway.
2. Interference with signal from power in other wires adjacent to carrier line - This is what I believe is the case - See thread below:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4193.0