We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: GE On/Off switch question  (Read 3096 times)

guest10984

GE On/Off switch question
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:31:51 pm »
I recently purchased a couple of GE On/Off switches, and noticed when I opened them that they said they could either be used as a single pole switch or as a 3-way switch.  Does this mean I could use one of these in combination with a regular non z-wave 3 way switch to control a light fixture?  I have a few 3-way fixtures I want to control, and if I can buy one z-wave switch per fixture as opposed to two that would be awesome.

Offline wscannell

Re: GE On/Off switch question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:34:44 pm »
You have to use the secondary GE switch.  They are sold as a kit of two switches and only cost a little more for the pair.  The single z-wave switch is the same unit as sold in the kit of two.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »
[...]Does this mean I could use one of these in combination with a regular non z-wave 3 way switch to control a light fixture?  I have a few 3-way fixtures I want to control, and if I can buy one z-wave switch per fixture as opposed to two that would be awesome.
Nope! Do _not_ connect a Z-Wave device and a regular 3-way switch together. They operate quite differently, electrically.

As mentioned by @wscannell, you'll have to use the appropriate  remote (aka secondary, aka aux) GE 3-way switch that's designed to work with your primary switch. Only the primary switch has a Z-Wave chip. Therefore, the remote/secondary/aux switches are much cheaper.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline raskell

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »
You may want to ask around.  Many of us have the aux's piled a corner somewhere after giving up on them due to noise lines.
Vera2, UI4, Trane/Schlage TStats(6), Schlage LeverLock, GE 3-wayswitches, WD HA14 3-way dimmers, Intermatic Outdoor Module, Hawking door/window sensor(s), VeraLite UI5, Everspring SM-103

guest10984

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:19:21 am »
So the aux switches that come with the 3-way dimmer pack can work as aux switches with the on/off switch?  I guess I assumed the aux dimmer switch wouldn't work as an aux on/off switch.

Offline mitch672

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:52:51 pm »
So the aux switches that come with the 3-way dimmer pack can work as aux switches with the on/off switch?  I guess I assumed the aux dimmer switch wouldn't work as an aux on/off switch.

They work fine. I have used several of the AUX switches that came with the dimmer main switch, on the on/off model, works fine.  They are all built by JASCO, and are using the same (some say crappy) signalling system/voltages

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:19 am »
They use the same aux switch, model 45610.
Dezwaved at the moment...