Author Topic: CT100 thermostats still in responding/non-responding cycle  (Read 212 times)

Offline sgm

CT100 thermostats still in responding/non-responding cycle
« on: December 19, 2017, 05:11:28 pm »
I have several Radio Thermostat CT100s from 2Gig. Each day, sometimes several times a day, VeraEdge reports that some of these thermostats are "not responding"; nearly always within a few hours, that thermostat is then reported to be responding again.

I have seen the pinned post in this forum regarding the version info. All my thermostats have the following string in the "VersionInfo" variable....."3,3,28,9,1". So it seems this version problem does not apply to me.

I have also seen a thread here that recommends polling each thermostat once every 60 minutes in an attempt to keep them responding. Therefore, I have created a scene that runs each hour and sends the following command to all thermostats:

Service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_FanOperatingMode1.....SetMode....Auto

which does not change the operation of the thermostats since my heating system has no fans and the wires associated with fans inside the thermostats are not connected.

Is there no way out of this?  I would likely ignore the problem except that about every 6 to 8 weeks my VeraEdge stops working after reporting many errors while attempting to write system error data.  I have to backup the VeraEdge and Z-wave configuration, do a full reset of the VeraEdge, and then restore the backup to get the VeraEdge working again.  I'm suspicious that these constant responding/non-responding cycles of the thermstats is related to this bigger problem of the VeraEdge periodically going belly up requiring a restore.

Offline gibby

Re: CT100 thermostats still in responding/non-responding cycle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:07:39 pm »
I still have this issue, along with mode changes not being reported sometimes for hours on end.

I am going to be replacing all of mine, just haven't decided what to replace them with yet.

Offline blueskiesnh2o

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:07:32 pm »
Would love if anyone has a solution to this. I have been using a VeraLite on UI5 for the last 2 years without any problems. I just moved to the VeraPlus (UI7) and suddenly my LR thermostat keeps dropping out with "cannot detect." Yes, it is firmware 9.0. Is there any way to update firmware on the tstat? I am tempted to simply go back to my VeraLite. This upgrade has already taken way too much time.

Offline sgm

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »
Lost another thermo today.  This time I noticed a message associated with that thermo in the device list.  I wonder if this is a clue?  Under the device display for that thermo was the message:

"Waiting for wakeup to send commands"

This is displayed after I receive an email notification that says the device is "not responding"; which is then followed by a system alert that says "device no longer connected".

Eventually, the thermos always reconnect on their own after a day or two, but I don't have any data on what triggers that action.

Offline r-noxious

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 08:50:24 am »
My ct100 went bad after about a year. It would light up and and act like someone was making changes to it. It seems the touch screen shorted out and was giving false inputs. Perhaps your has gone slightly retarded also but in a different manner.

Offline rgadagno

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
I had the same problem with CT32 and from other post recommend to set polling to 0 (never).  The thermostat still stays updated and command work fine.  Fixed this problem on 3 of them.

Offline sgm

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 01:13:36 pm »
I had the same problem with CT32 and from other post recommend to set polling to 0 (never).

Thanks rgadagno.

Setting polling to zero seems to have helped a lot.  I can't say for sure that this work around is 100% effective, but it is looking good.  At first, after I made the change, I still got alerts from a couple of thermos (I have 7), but it finally settled down to just a single thermo.....and interestingly, that thermo is one that never gave me this problem in the past; whereas the thermos that caused 90% of the problems before were now silent.

Eventually, I stopped the scene (discussed above) that sends a trivial command to all thermos once every 60 minutes.  I also reset the parameters for this new "problem" thermo , and haven't seen an alert fromn any thermo since (maybe a week now).

So your suggestion has clearly helped; I will need to wait a month or so before I am convinced turning off polling "fixes" the issue.