Author Topic: Upgrade sparks trust issues  (Read 248 times)

Offline mmesford

• Sr. Newbie
Upgrade sparks trust issues
« on: December 20, 2017, 04:25:42 pm »
I recently had occasion to contact tech support and they pointed out that I was running v5 and recommended upgrading to v7.  To do that they recommended enabling remote access.  I did so, and sent them the codes.  I haven?t heard anything since then.  I sent a second email to confirm they had gotten the codes.  No response.  I?m sure it?s simply a busy time for them but I couldn?t help feeling a touch of paranoia.  I don?t have door locks.  There?s nothing a bad actor could do with access to my Vera but I began thinking about all the times our internet seems unreasonably slow.  What prevents someone with remote acces from, say, installing code to join a distributed bitcoin mining scheme?  Or whatever.  So to allay my fears a bit I did a Whois lookup for getvera.com and micasaverde.com.  They both are registered by anonymous registry services.  Why is that?  Why does a legitimate business hide their website ownership?  Weird. I?m not seriously suggesting there is some evil at work here but I am curious what others think.  And I would like some kind of response from MCV eventually for my tech support request.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
Re: Upgrade sparks trust issues
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:29:00 pm »
THe remote access times out ... I think its good for one day.