We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Qubino dimmer minimum load  (Read 279 times)

Offline chrlod

• Sr. Newbie
Qubino dimmer minimum load
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:56:38 am »
I have several Qubino Flush Dimmers, and for the most part they work fine.
However, in our living room, we have a dimmer that is connected to only one light. That light has one 9 watt LED bulb which is dimmed to approx. 4.5 watt to get the desired light setting.
We experience issues turning on this light. I understand that starting dimmers at very low loads is a common issue, but I was wondering if there is any smart way to solve this?

If we turn the dimmer all the way up to 100% it will start. For scenes that are triggered within Vera this is solved quite simple by setting the dimmer to 100%, waiting one second, and then setting it to 30%.
Our problem is that this light is quite frequently controlled by a wall switch. Is there any clever way to make the dimmer start at 100% when the wall switch (I1) is pushed?
If I can get it to start at 100% it should be simple to create a scene to dim it down to the desired level.

Offline trygve

Re: Qubino dimmer minimum load
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:29:14 am »
I've experienced the same with LED bulbs. I've solved it by replacing the bulb. Its a huge difference between LED bulbs and a lot of really poor once out there.

To be honest; I've had my rounds with cheap LED bulbs.
Vera Edge. Qubino flush dimmers-, 10V dimmers-, flush relays-, flush shutters-, Sunricher touch panel-, RGBW touch panel, Secure thermostats & relays, HeatIt thermostats, Fibaro RGBW dimmers, Aeotec multisensors-, Switches, Z-Wave.Me Wall Controllers, SwiidInter Cord Switch, Velux Integra, Sonos

Offline chrlod

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:03 am »
Does anyone know if the Fibaro Bypass 2 will work with Qubino? They are both trailing edge, so I guess the Bypass is a simple devise that is not really Fibaro specific?

My bulb is a high quality Philips Globe LED. This bulb gives a really nice light (compared to several others). If I'm changing the bulb I think I will be going back to Halogen to avoid buying 10 different LED bulbs to find one that gives high quality light _and_ will start at the desired light output which I guess will be difficult given the low-energy nature of LED and the fact that there is only one bulb connected. Not too concerned about power consumption, but it's always a hassle with Halogen when the bulb burn out, especially for non-standard bulbs.

Might just end up buying a Fibaro dimmer (with the bypass) and use the Qubino somewhere else.

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:42:17 pm »
Bypass's are not the exculsive domain of Fibario etc.
If you are in the EU look for a TEM Bypass IA50, much cheaper....
spec at the link below.

https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.com.au/TEM-IA50RC-Disturbance-Bypass-Module
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.