Author Topic: Alexa control of Vera unreliable to completely unusable..  (Read 439 times)

Offline 172pilot

• Sr. Newbie
Alexa control of Vera unreliable to completely unusable..
« on: December 27, 2017, 07:11:25 pm »
Been trying to use this since the first announcement of a beta..  Initially it worked, but after a while it will just stop turning on and off things, mostly saying "A few things share that name, which one do you want?" when there is only one "Master Bedroom Light"..  other times, I'll try, and it will say "livingroom lights [or whatever] doesn't support that." - Sometimes I get this on a dim command, sometimes on just an on/off.  Occasionally, forgetting all, and re-discovering fixes things for a while (maybe hours, maybe a day) but then it goes bad again.  I can always resort to grabbing my phone and using the Vera app, so I know the Vera can control the devices, and the Alexa devices (one echo, 3 dots) all work for other functions, so it's pretty much got to be the integration / plug in..

Has anyone else seen such a thing?  Any hints as to where to start?  Logs to collect and scan or attach?  I'm technically able, but completely a beginner in LUUP, but anxious to learn to be self sufficient at this stuff!!

Thanks in advance!!
Steve

Offline 172pilot

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Alexa control of Vera unreliable to completely unusable..
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:44 pm »
Oh yeah.. Another failure mode..  I also get "Sorry.. I didn't find Master Bedroom Lights" when that is exactly how it shows on the alexa smart home page...

-Steve

Offline Nameless

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 11:46:57 pm »
Alexa works with so many devices that I've had issues with conflicts being the same device, 1 through Vera and the other through the device manufacturer direct. I've found that if Alexa can see the device without Vera, I hide the Vera device and let Alexa control it separately. Device examples are WeMo switches and Honeywell thermostats.

Alexa will auto-discover devices at times. I don't know why, but this has been the case for me since I've owned Alexa devices. Disable those duplicates from Vera, so they can't creep back into Alexa's sight. As a bonus, the devices work better without Vera as I've found there's usually fewer options or vocal understanding. No need for Alexa to pick and choose which version of the device to choose.

Offline ranneman

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:39:24 am »
I' am using it am very impressed by it's performance. Response is fast, I can control my lights and Sonos. Unfortunately thermostat only partly. As I' am Dutch my English is not perfect and for that reason I had to change some names of devices to get it working. Overall I' am happy with the way it works.
Vera lite UI7 Europe, Vera Plus, Zwave.me switches/dimmers, Zwave.me plus multi switch, Fibaro switches and multi sensors, Everspring sensors motion, temp., humidity. Honeywell Evohome, Greenwave, Sonos, Brel shades, RFXCOM, MiLights, Alexa.