Author Topic: Security System  (Read 5980 times)

Offline Sonnyzav

• Sr. Newbie
Security System
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:57 am »
I recently installed Vera 2 in my vacation home. It is somewhat remote on a lake ant now my insurance company is insisting on me installing a fire and burglar alarm tied to a central monitoring company or they will not continue to insure my house. Have any of you run into this problem? I do have some motion detectors and door sensors connected to Vera but nothing that would monitor the smokes or connect it to a monitoring company.   Can this be done using Vera?

Offline mikemsd

Re: Security System
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:13 am »
If your required to connect to a monitoring company, I doubt you could do this with Vera directly. Personally, even if I could, I wouldn't. I like Vera, but it's not reliable enough for me to trust it as a burglar and/or fire alarm. There are panels you can integrate with Vera, however that will take some research to determine which to buy. I am waiting and hoping that someone writes a plugin for the DSC Alexor series of panels.
Vera2 (UI4 1.5.408), 2x Trane Thermostats, 9x GE 45606 Dimmers, 1x GE 45613 3-Way Dimmer kit, 1x Intermatic HA04 Outdoor Module, 1x Intermatic HA09 Remote.

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:00 pm »
Couple of good, simple options for an easy central alarm service. Both wireless:
LifeShield - http://www.lifeshield.com/ 
- super simple, inexpensive, good quality. No Z-wave, but all wireless.

2Gig Technologies - http://www.2gig.com/
- same as above, has Z-wave built-in

My $0.015: An alarm system isn't something that I would trust to Vera (or any other hybrid system, frankly). Alarms are purpose-built to do 1 thing: sound the alarm in response to fire, smoke, The Hamburgler...

.//A.
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline Don Diego

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:08:08 am »
Hi Anthonyris -

A quick scan of the 2GIG library implied that their devices are zwave devices (they use much the same terminology, -probably a stretch). Can the devices like the PIR, Smoke Detectors be used without their control panel (and hooked directly to Vera)?

Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:04:54 am »
The devices that 2Gig are selling seem to be standard Z-wave devices. The Smoke Detector, for example, is the same one sold by Honeywell. I have no reason to believe that these will not work just fine with Vera (or any other Z-wave controller).

Note that I do not personally own one of their devices.

.//A.

Hi Anthonyris -

A quick scan of the 2GIG library implied that their devices are zwave devices (they use much the same terminology, -probably a stretch). Can the devices like the PIR, Smoke Detectors be used without their control panel (and hooked directly to Vera)?

Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...