Author Topic: UI7 Restore from Backup  (Read 531 times)

Offline dfortier

UI7 Restore from Backup
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:24:33 am »
I have a edge device with UI7 that failed.  I have a new replacement edge.  How can I get the backups from the old edge to load onto the new one?  When i go to the backups section of the new edge there is nothing there.  I guess thats because the new one hasn't been backed up.

Where are all my backups for the old unit?

Offline kwieto

Re: UI7 Restore from Backup
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:12 am »
If you don't have them locally, ask Vera support for last backups from the old controller. They can download them (at least for some period of time, I suppose) and give to you.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:24:13 am »
Hello dfortier,

If your old Vera unit had internet access, you should have some backups. All you need to make sure is that you attach to the new Vera, the same username you had on your old one.
Backups are attached to the username.

Otherwise, as kwieto says, out wonderful guys from Customer Care team, can give you a hand with this. See my signature for details.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline dfortier

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 11:43:59 am »
Hello dfortier,

If your old Vera unit had internet access, you should have some backups. All you need to make sure is that you attach to the new Vera, the same username you had on your old one.
Backups are attached to the username.

Otherwise, as kwieto says, out wonderful guys from Customer Care team, can give you a hand with this. See my signature for details.

I did try this.  That's the same thing I was thinking.  However it doesn't appear that the new unit has access to the old unit's backups.  Even when using the same username.

I ended up getting in touch with support and they were able to email me the last update that the old unit made.  I loaded it onto the new one and it worked.  While on the phone with support I asked them if there was some way for me to access the backup files if I don't have access to the UI on the defective unit.  They said no and that the only way to retrieve it would be to contact support.

Offline dfortier

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 05:19:45 pm »
So I was wrong.  It dind't work.  Not completely anyway.  I was able to load the backup but none of my devices are connected.  They're all there but not connected.  Any ideas?

Offline kwieto

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:06 am »
Did you check "restore z-wave network" option when you did restore?
In some cases device has to be "ticked" (like turned on/off) externally (like: physical switch, tamper switch) to report properly.
But in my cases it was like 2 out of 40 devices which needed such procedure.

Offline dfortier

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:30:56 am »
I dont think I checked that option.  However, this was a small setup with only 4 zwave devices so I manually re-added them in.  But I have another setup with about 30 devices and I sure don't want to have to manually re-add everything there if I have to restore.

So if I check that option when restoring then most or all of my zwave devices should be included in the restore?

Offline kwieto

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 03:39:33 pm »
I dont think I checked that option.

Then no wonder your devices didn't work. If you don't restore z-wave network, you're restoring just base configuration (i.e. plugins, scenes) but not z-wave information needed to properly comunicate with your devices.

If you restore also z-wave network data, all your devices should work after restore.

Offline cc4005

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:42 am »
Then no wonder your devices didn't work. If you don't restore z-wave network, you're restoring just base configuration (i.e. plugins, scenes) but not z-wave information needed to properly comunicate with your devices.
If you restore also z-wave network data, all your devices should work after restore.

Please forgive the hijack, but I think it's related...

kwieto, any idea why one would back up the system without backing up the z-wave network? I've wondered why this extra step is required to get everything included.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »
kwieto, any idea why one would back up the system without backing up the z-wave network? I've wondered why this extra step is required to get everything included.

Could be extra data (data storage size) also could be that you might not always want to retore your z-wave network. If you have added devices and had no issue with them but wanted to restore to an older point if you only option was with z-wave too you would have to start over on those devices too.

Offline cc4005

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:27:26 pm »
Aha. Thanks.