Author Topic: Ecobee 3 Plugin Question  (Read 796 times)

Offline MtView

• Sr. Newbie
Ecobee 3 Plugin Question
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:06:10 pm »
I've read the E3 plugin is no longer being supported.  I guess the first question is is that true?  If so, is the plugin functional and worth installing or might it be better to stay clear of it if I haven't gone down that road yet?

Offline gniknalu

Re: Ecobee 3 Plugin Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:59:34 pm »
When it works - it's great.  :)

Not sure if the issues with the Ecobee 3 plugin are related to my Vera Secure system or to the plugin. But I'm about to re-install it (because I'm getting errors).

Offline str1der

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 02:17:48 pm »
I'm trying to figure this out also. I have the plugin loaded and in UI7 it seems to work but it creates so many devices it's confusing. When I try to use Vera Mobile I can see all these devices and the set temp but can't seem to change or control anything. Is this the way it should be?

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:22 pm »
I'm trying to figure this out also. I have the plugin loaded and in UI7 it seems to work but it creates so many devices it's confusing. When I try to use Vera Mobile I can see all these devices and the set temp but can't seem to change or control anything. Is this the way it should be?

I have a room called "Temp Controls" and have the thermostat there. Then I have each sensor matched up with the room in which they reside.

From my app, this is what I use to adjust the temp (see attachment). Then I use the other to set "Home" or "Away" etc.

Offline str1der

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:34:08 pm »
Is that what you see in the vera mobile app? I see that when I connect using my laptop but on my phone there doesn't appear anyway to control it.

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:33:00 pm »
Is that what you see in the vera mobile app? I see that when I connect using my laptop but on my phone there doesn't appear anyway to control it.

OMG! I never noticed! What a major deficiency! My Ecobee3 app on the phone is so superior I never ever noticed I couldn't control it from my phone.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 12:18:58 am »
Sorry, the plugin was never really conceived for the phone apps. Actually most 3rd party plugin I would expect have some issues on way or another. I actually don't use the vera phone app at all. Have only been using Homewave.
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (134 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 200 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 09:14:05 am »
Sorry, the plugin was never really conceived for the phone apps. Actually most 3rd party plugin I would expect have some issues on way or another. I actually don't use the vera phone app at all. Have only been using Homewave.

:(

That tells the whole story - the app wasn't designed for modern use or isn't any longer maintained.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 10:28:48 am »

:(

That tells the whole story - the app wasn't designed for modern use or isn't any longer maintained.

This is unfortunately not a Vera supported app. It was written by a benevolent user who later left the community. Vera claims support but they really have nothing to do with it. Then again, no third party app is really supported by the phone app even all those which are maintained. Modern use to me is not to use the Vera phone app which I personally obsoleted a long time ago.
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (134 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 200 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 10:49:40 am »
Modern use to me is not to use the Vera phone app which I personally obsoleted a long time ago.

That's a WHOLE Another conversation!

Offline str1der

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 12:33:09 pm »
So I guess Vera doesn't actually support the ecobee then?

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 10:50:52 am »
So I guess Vera doesn't actually support the ecobee then?

Seems the developer of the plug-in is resurrecting the thread on his tool. Maybe he will be modernizing  it soon?
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13836.0.html