Author Topic: Zwave plus - worth the money?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline resq93

Zwave plus - worth the money?
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:24:05 pm »
Looking at possibly upgrading my 40 or so Intermatic wall switches. Have the ability to get later model standard  zwave or possibly upgrade to zwave Plus for about $10 more per device. Is it worth the money?

Offline wilme2

Re: Zwave plus - worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:23:50 pm »
Looking at possibly upgrading my 40 or so Intermatic wall switches. Have the ability to get later model standard  zwave or possibly upgrade to zwave Plus for about $10 more per device. Is it worth the money?

I would spend the extra - mostly for the expected faster speeds of the newer chip.

But ANYTHING will be better than Intermatic z-wave.   ;)
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Online kwieto

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:14:56 am »
Faster speed, better range, usually power metering function... I wouldn't hesitate

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:01:03 pm »

I would look not only at "Z-wave Plus" but all the other features in new devices. Instant status is a must, things like double tap triple tap and extra features also nice.

As new switches come out there may or may not be extra features you think you will use. I would recommend getting as feature rich as you can even if you won't use it today.
https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs-wd200-z-wave-plus-scene-capable-rgb-wall-dimmer?variant=1027694264332

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:10 pm »

I would look not only at "Z-wave Plus" but all the other features in new devices. Instant status is a must, things like double tap triple tap and extra features also nice.

As new switches come out there may or may not be extra features you think you will use. I would recommend getting as feature rich as you can even if you won't use it today.
https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs-wd200-z-wave-plus-scene-capable-rgb-wall-dimmer?variant=1027694264332

That is a sweet looking switch. I may have to order a few.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:51 pm »
. I would recommend getting as feature rich as you can even if you won't use it today.

I like the concept but the reality is that without labels I am the only person in the house who would know what those lights mean.

I would love it if they put these lights on a 4+ button scene controller. It could show if doors are open/closed, if the HVAC is in heat/cool, etc in ways that would be pretty intuitive. Especially if the controller had insteon-like replaceable pre-labeled buttons.

Offline wilme2

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:15:55 pm »
I like the concept but the reality is that without labels I am the only person in the house who would know what those lights mean.

I would love it if they put these lights on a 4+ button scene controller. It could show if doors are open/closed, if the HVAC is in heat/cool, etc in ways that would be pretty intuitive. Especially if the controller had insteon-like replaceable pre-labeled buttons.

Agree with you.  Need labels or spaces for a label...
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline SDorsey

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 05:02:11 am »
Agree with you Wilme.

Offline rswenner

HS-WD200+ Z-Wave Plus Scene Capable RGB Wall Dimmer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 08:52:51 am »
Just wondering if anyone has installed one of these (HS-WD200+ Z-Wave Plus Scene Capable RGB Wall Dimmer) and how easy it is to assign the lights in a Vera Plus?

Offline dzmiller

Re: HS-WD200+ Z-Wave Plus Scene Capable RGB Wall Dimmer
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 11:10:31 am »
Just wondering if anyone has installed one of these (HS-WD200+ Z-Wave Plus Scene Capable RGB Wall Dimmer) and how easy it is to assign the lights in a Vera Plus?

Not supported so far. Go with these, which has a better 3-way solution:

* GoControl 500 Series Wall Dimmer (WD500Z5-1)
* GoControl 500 Series 3-Way Switch/Dimmer (WT00Z5-1)

Be sure to buy "Z5" models, not "Z"

Offline jswim788

Re: HS-WD200+ Z-Wave Plus Scene Capable RGB Wall Dimmer
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 12:11:34 pm »
I'm using the non-dimmer version with Z-way, not Vera, so I don't have full information, but I can give you some general info.  I suspect that you could use these as a generic light switches with Vera but you wouldn't have the double/triple/long press scene capability.

By the "lights" I assume that you are referring to the LED's on the side.  These are not set with Zwave commands, rather they are set with Zwave config parameters.  This is a bit odd, but also means that you can very likely set and change them with lua code in Vera scenes.  This post describes how to do it in general, you'll need to modify for this switch: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,1937.msg81076.html#msg81076

And then some info on the "lights".  They're really dim.  Really dim.  Likely fine in a dark room, but blue and some colors are almost invisible.  I wanted to use them as status indicators in a hallway, but they are not very useful for this.  Maybe with the dimmer with multiple LED's it would be more visible.  I hope someday they have a mechanism to increase the brightness.  (Interestingly, I asked Homeseer support about this - no response.  Posted a review, but they never put it up publicly.  Just 5 star reviews on their web site...)