Author Topic: Zwave plus - worth the money?  (Read 305 times)

Offline resq93

Zwave plus - worth the money?
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:24:05 pm »
Looking at possibly upgrading my 40 or so Intermatic wall switches. Have the ability to get later model standard  zwave or possibly upgrade to zwave Plus for about $10 more per device. Is it worth the money?

Offline wilme2

Re: Zwave plus - worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:23:50 pm »
Looking at possibly upgrading my 40 or so Intermatic wall switches. Have the ability to get later model standard  zwave or possibly upgrade to zwave Plus for about $10 more per device. Is it worth the money?

I would spend the extra - mostly for the expected faster speeds of the newer chip.

But ANYTHING will be better than Intermatic z-wave.   ;)
Long Live UI5!

Offline kwieto

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:14:56 am »
Faster speed, better range, usually power metering function... I wouldn't hesitate

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:01:03 pm »

I would look not only at "Z-wave Plus" but all the other features in new devices. Instant status is a must, things like double tap triple tap and extra features also nice.

As new switches come out there may or may not be extra features you think you will use. I would recommend getting as feature rich as you can even if you won't use it today.
https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs-wd200-z-wave-plus-scene-capable-rgb-wall-dimmer?variant=1027694264332

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:10 pm »

I would look not only at "Z-wave Plus" but all the other features in new devices. Instant status is a must, things like double tap triple tap and extra features also nice.

As new switches come out there may or may not be extra features you think you will use. I would recommend getting as feature rich as you can even if you won't use it today.
https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs-wd200-z-wave-plus-scene-capable-rgb-wall-dimmer?variant=1027694264332

That is a sweet looking switch. I may have to order a few.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:51 pm »
. I would recommend getting as feature rich as you can even if you won't use it today.

I like the concept but the reality is that without labels I am the only person in the house who would know what those lights mean.

I would love it if they put these lights on a 4+ button scene controller. It could show if doors are open/closed, if the HVAC is in heat/cool, etc in ways that would be pretty intuitive. Especially if the controller had insteon-like replaceable pre-labeled buttons.