Author Topic: Feature Request: PoE VERA Controller  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Dingin

Feature Request: PoE VERA Controller
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:24 pm »
It would be more neat and easier to install if it can be powered from the Ethernet port. Poe+ , please.

Offline rigpapa

Re: Feature Request: PoE VERA Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:44:08 pm »
I use the TrendNet TPE-104GS a lot around my network--it's a PoE splitter that can output multiple voltages. I've never thought to try it with the Vera, but I see no reason it wouldn't work IF the power budget is met. I'll give it a try tomorrow, it's getting late around here for such tinkering.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:29:37 am »
Due to the Z-Wave technology your Vera unit is recommended to be located in a central position in your home, rather than PoE easy place, like a networking cabinet, but  this would be a neat idea nonetheless.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:37:00 am »
Sorin, I agree a network cabinet could be a poor choice, but PoE would actually allow far more choices than even the current AC power supply can enable--100 meters from the network cabinet, in fact--and so would increase the chances of finding a location that is "central" to the Z-Wave mesh.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:37:04 pm »
Works. Just over 3400 milliwatts on the port, which is well within spec. Just make darn sure you get polarity right when assembling the adapter cable between the injector and the Vera (the included plugs have bi-pin ends that can be inserted two ways depending on whether you want center-negative or center-positive polarity--my Vera is center POSITIVE).

So, $15 on Amazon gets you PoE.

Offline tk41

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:34 pm »
I just added a little PoE 12V 2A splitter between the port and Vera (Plus).  Works beautifully.  Pity to have the extra box and cable, but it's small.

Not sure why someone above referred to "a PoE easy place like a network cabinet" - if you have Vera cabled to the LAN, then you could use PoE to that port; if Vera's on wifi only then PoE isn't relevant anyway.