Author Topic: PlantLink plugin from MiOS Marketplace  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
Re: PlantLink plugin from MiOS Marketplace
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 06:12:09 am »
I've given a heads up to the integration teams. We will unpublish these plugins.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline kwieto

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 06:18:38 am »
At least you got a $100 credit :)
It doesn't seem they extend the same courtesy to all their customers: I haven't received any email from them.
Same for me. But I had no luck from the very beginning, the station I've purchased didn't work properly. So I've switched to xiaomi flors sensors - cheaper and with more data

Online rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 11:30:19 am »
The new offering (gro) is essentially an equivalent to the Xiaomi with no API. The $100 only covers a starter kit with one sensor. To me it came across as an insult given how much I had invested in it. Never again...
openLuup (78 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Online rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 11:21:39 pm »
I am now looking to reintegrate the plantlinks themselves (I have quite a few of them) without the hub, without the discontinued cloud directly through Zigbee in a similar way as Smarthing. I am very confident that I can do it with home assistant/bellows as I have pushed the Keen vent support there as well but for vera I need to be able get the luup engine to publish the endpoint 001/Cluster 0B04/Attribute 0100 into a device variable. I will test this later in the week but I am concerned that vera has not implemented the full zigbee HA1.2 stack and instead has been focused on a few specific target devices instead of full stack support which is limiting. I may have to use Home Assistant as a bridge and then modify the plugin to poll the data from home assistant...
openLuup (78 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Online rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 02:27:42 am »
Well I managed to include the Plantlinks to the vera plus but it can't configure it because indeed, it does not know where to send the variable I described above. I did try to tweak the variables to try to configure it on the vera but at the end I think there is too much hardcoding preventing me to bind the endpoint attribute to a new variable if it isn't previously hardcoded. I also looked into it with home assistant and was able to get it to work but it may require a bit more work. I dropped it into hubitat with the custom profile and it worked right away. Sorin or people from support, if you know how to bind a known end point attribute to a device variable, please let me know, otherwise it looks like I am putting a hubitat in service. In the meantime, you should remove the plugin from the store now since the API is now deceased.

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 02:39:33 pm »
At least you got a $100 credit :)
It doesn't seem they extend the same courtesy to all their customers: I haven't received any email from them.
Same for me. But I had no luck from the very beginning, the station I've purchased didn't work properly. So I've switched to xiaomi flors sensors - cheaper and with more data
We have the MiFlora sensors deployed all over.  A few Raspberry Pi "collectors" that read from them every three hours.  Using a guy's MQTT Python module to publish the results to a broker, which them dumps them into MySQL.  Sebds Prowl alerts on critical levels.  Simple Google charts webpage gropes MySQL for the last week's readings.  Example attached.

--Richard

PS: Most of the sensors are currently not being polled, as it's winter here, and a lot of them were placed around the garden and with potted plants outdoors.

Online rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 08:57:54 pm »
Thanks for sharing this Richard. I looked into MiFlora as well but already have a bunch of plantlinks and was turned off by bluetooth due to its range. I think I will eventually just rewrite the plantlink plugin to integrate with Hubitat through its local API. It is just upsetting to see the approach vera has taken in its device support: supporting specific instead of supporting the entire HA stack and allow users and developers to come up with the device support. I will now be running 3 zigbee networks in my home: hue, vera (for the keen vents) and hubitat for the plantlinks. At this point I think I might as well move everything to hubitat.

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:26 pm »
Thanks for sharing this Richard. I looked into MiFlora as well but already have a bunch of plantlinks and was turned off by bluetooth due to its range. I think I will eventually just rewrite the plantlink plugin to integrate with Hubitat through its local API. It is just upsetting to see the approach vera has taken in its device support: supporting specific instead of supporting the entire HA stack and allow users and developers to come up with the device support. I will now be running 3 zigbee networks in my home: hue, vera (for the keen vents) and hubitat for the plantlinks. At this point I think I might as well move everything to hubitat.

Yes, the BLE range is disconcerting.  But by placing one Pi Zero "collector" on each side of the house, we have coverage.  One of those is out in the back yard, powered off solar with battery.

The MiFlora sensors are overpriced domestically.  I've been buying them in small piles (about 10 per order) from DHGate for < $20 each. 

Each sensor gets an assignment for current role: which reader will query it (so the readers know what to do...the BLE timeouts for missing/wrong sensors is pretty grim) and what plant/thing it's monitoring.   I think we have 24 total sensors, which allows us to cover potted plants, known places where our neighbors' excess watering starts flooding our yard, representative spots in the garden.  Batteries in the sensors seem to last about 18 months, and are CR2032...so upkeep is pretty cheap.  The thing we'd love to have is the same functionality with longer probes...like a foot.  May canabalize one of the MiFlora and see what we can throw together.

--Richard