We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Plugin: AutoVirtualThermostat (AVT)  (Read 9141 times)

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
Re: Plugin: AutoVirtualThermostat (AVT)
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2019, 03:50:37 pm »
By the way, what are "up vents" and "down vents"?
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2019, 04:59:29 pm »
Ahh I knew I had some unclear jargon in there.

The idea is for a two story house having a temperature delta issue between the two floors.
The Up vents are the vents for the upper floor. The Down vents are the ones downstairs. This is an optional idea to save energy when some thermostat could just recycle air from up and down the house instead of turning on heat or AC.

By the way the vents are devices which I have implemented with as a window covering but with a custom device.json called D_Vent1.json which I have shared in the Keen vent thread. I have been using the same file for both zigbee and zwave vents.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:18:46 pm by rafale77 »
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2019, 02:16:21 pm »
Just so you know I actually started writing the code which could be the basis for a plugin. I am actually almost done. The big task ahead is to be able to setup the device json to input all the different sensors and vents as they are currently hardcoded for my setup. It isn't as difficult as I anticipated.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2019, 03:17:38 pm »
Just so you know I actually started writing the code which could be the basis for a plugin. I am actually almost done. The big task ahead is to be able to setup the device json to input all the different sensors and vents as they are currently hardcoded for my setup. It isn't as difficult as I anticipated.

I think you should continue in this direction. The contents of your spreadsheet points to some very specific configuration for your setup. While I know you can generalize it, even so, it appears to be a bit more than a plugin that advertises itself as a "virtual thermostat" really demands.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2019, 02:30:19 pm »
Thanks, I understand. It is a holistic HVAC control making use of the "room" feature of vera where I make use of several data source within the room:
-windows opened/closed
-vents if they are controlled (only relevant for forced HVAC air setups)
-temperature sensors if they are present
-motion sensors

I am done the lua portion. Will work on the UI device portion next. This might become a different plugin altogether.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2019, 02:38:43 pm »
Thanks, I understand. It is a holistic HVAC control making use of the "room" feature of vera where I make use of several data source within the room:
-windows opened/closed
-motion sensors

I am done the lua portion. Will work on the UI device portion next. This might become a different plugin altogether.

Even with Reactor, I spend far more time on the JavaScript side than the Lua side of most plugins these days. So much better than the days before jQuery, but still a lot of work.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2019, 10:27:49 am »
-windows opened/closed
-motion sensors

Even with Reactor, I spend far more time on the JavaScript side than the Lua side of most plugins these days. So much better than the days before jQuery, but still a lot of work.

Yeah I am with you. I am not a big JavaScript fan to top it off so this is tedious. I am having to take snippets left and right and modify them. I am taking down my ecobee today and will be testing my new plugin. Thank you for the suggestions!

Offline derekkirsch

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:38 am »
Patrick,

I recently switched from Zipatile to Vera. I am happy with the decision, but I do miss quite a few of Zipato's standard features that are only accomplished with plugins through Vera. Two of these happen to be your plugins, Reactor and AVT. Please keep up the good work.

I read here you are working on improving AVT. My hope is you are looking into a more elaborate scheduler. Right now I am using a few AVT devices for daily temperature settings along with some scenes. What I miss with Zipato's virtual thermostat was the ability to adjust temp set points by the hour on a weekly basis. There was then the option to revert back to programmed settings if the setpoint was manually adjusted through the interface.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2019, 10:26:47 am »
I've added this request as issue #9 on the Github repository for tracking. I've got a number of enhancements working on AVT, and AVT is high on my schedule for a release, but at the moment I don't have a schedule--I'm focused on a Reactor beta just started, and the upcoming Vera firmware release. Once I clear those hurdles, I'll have a better idea.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2019, 05:35:25 pm »
...What I miss with Zipato's virtual thermostat was the ability to adjust temp set points by the hour on a weekly basis. There was then the option to revert back to programmed settings if the setpoint was manually adjusted through the interface.

As I ponder this, I'm wondering if this should not be a plugin unto itself. I can put all of this capability into AVT, of course, but wouldn't it be cool to have ANY thermostat that's connected to your Vera be programmable? With a uniform user interface for all?

Offline derekkirsch

« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2019, 06:50:19 pm »
...What I miss with Zipato's virtual thermostat was the ability to adjust temp set points by the hour on a weekly basis. There was then the option to revert back to programmed settings if the setpoint was manually adjusted through the interface.

As I ponder this, I'm wondering if this should not be a plugin unto itself. I can put all of this capability into AVT, of course, but wouldn't it be cool to have ANY thermostat that's connected to your Vera be programmable? With a uniform user interface for all?

I agree, there are a lot of smart thermostats that do not have programming or scheduling ability. I was considering a 2-gig CT-100, but I like the idea of the AVT utilizing my multi sensors for temperature input. I trust you'll come up with something.

I do have a question related to my Reactor schedule communicating with AVT. I set up RS' with conditions only related to time of day (and weekend separate). An RS would trip at 5AM, 8AM, 4PM, and 10PM. Each had two trip activities, change both the cooling set point and the heating set point of the AVT. This would have no control over what mode AVT was in, just change setpoints throughout the day. However, it would change both heating and cooling set points to whatever action was last on the list. I read earlier in the thread you had issues with setpoints. I assume this is related.

For now, I just doubled the amount of Reactor Sensors and added a condition for whether it is in heating or cooling.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2019, 07:10:30 pm »

I agree, there are a lot of smart thermostats that do not have programming or scheduling ability. I was considering a 2-gig CT-100, but I like the idea of the AVT utilizing my multi sensors for temperature input. I trust you'll come up with something.

I do have a question related to my Reactor schedule communicating with AVT. I set up RS' with conditions only related to time of day (and weekend separate). An RS would trip at 5AM, 8AM, 4PM, and 10PM. Each had two trip activities, change both the cooling set point and the heating set point of the AVT. This would have no control over what mode AVT was in, just change setpoints throughout the day. However, it would change both heating and cooling set points to whatever action was last on the list. I read earlier in the thread you had issues with setpoints. I assume this is related.

For now, I just doubled the amount of Reactor Sensors and added a condition for whether it is in heating or cooling.

Vera kinda went afield trying to figure out dual setpoint thermostats, it seems, leaving us with a rather kludged model for setpoints that's very confusing to sift through, so I'm not surprised you didn't find what you needed easily.

To set the heating setpoint, use the SetCurrentSetpoint action in the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat service with parameter NewCurrentSetpoint.

To set the cooling setpoint, use the SetCurrentSetpoint action in the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool service with parameter NewCurrentSetpoint.

You can set both in one activity (i.e. one ReactorSensor), you just have to do it in two actions. Setting the setpoint of an inactive mode will not change the mode (i.e. setting the cooling setpoint while in the Heat mode will not change the mode to Cool, it just quietly changes the cooling setpoint).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:26:58 pm by rigpapa »

Offline derekkirsch

« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2019, 01:53:59 pm »

Vera kinda went afield trying to figure out dual setpoint thermostats, it seems, leaving us with a rather kludged model for setpoints that's very confusing to sift through, so I'm not surprised you didn't find what you needed easily.

To set the heating setpoint, use the SetCurrentSetpoint action in the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat service with parameter NewCurrentSetpoint.

To set the cooling setpoint, use the SetCurrentSetpoint action in the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool service with parameter NewCurrentSetpoint.

You can set both in one activity (i.e. one ReactorSensor), you just have to do it in two actions. Setting the setpoint of an inactive mode will not change the mode (i.e. setting the cooling setpoint while in the Heat mode will not change the mode to Cool, it just quietly changes the cooling setpoint).

Perfect, thank you!

Offline derekkirsch

« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2019, 04:15:17 pm »
Sorry, it looks like I thanked you too soon.. :-\ I never tested it, at 4PM I had to two trip actions set. One for heating and one for cooling, using the parameters you suggested. FYI, before I was using the different parameters that said SetHeatingSetPoint in the title. Needless to say, it switched both the heating and cooling setpoints to the value of the second trip action.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2019, 04:23:49 pm »
Sorry, it looks like I thanked you too soon.. :-\ I never tested it, at 4PM I had to two trip actions set. One for heating and one for cooling, using the parameters you suggested. FYI, before I was using the different parameters that said SetHeatingSetPoint in the title. Needless to say, it switched both the heating and cooling setpoints to the value of the second trip action.

OK. As a first step, can you send me a "Logic Summary" (link on the Tools tab of the ReactorSensor) for both?