We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switch, Module & Micro Dimmer and Switch modules  (Read 92171 times)

Offline srvan1

Re: Aeon Labs Micro Switches/Illuminators now available for order!
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2014, 03:24:57 pm »
I have a diagram from them for 3-ways but you have to look at it a few times for it to make sense.

Diagram from them? Base on what I've read so far, most documentation from many vendors are mediocre? I just started with home automation, so I am still learning and reading.

Offline user1121

Re: Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switch, Module & Micro Dimmer and Switch modules
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2014, 07:00:06 pm »
I just ordered one of these as part of a few options to see what I like best for the house.  I see that the manual suggests 18 AWG wiring.   What are folks using? 18? 16? Stranded? Solid?   I just need to know what to pickup a small roll of.

Thanks!

Offline Bric

« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:37 pm »
Hi,

I have veralite and aeotec dsc19103 micro dimmers.
I received from another user here a luup command to turn on lights.
i also saw at mcv wiki, and it apeears to be right.

I copied and pasted at luup table this code:

luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1", "SetLoadLevelTarget", {newLoadlevelTarget = "30"}, 6)

It was supposed to turn on device light id 6 at 30% dimming.

But nothing happens.
Am i missing something?

Offline bionicstraw

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2014, 05:22:59 pm »
Hi,

luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1", "SetLoadLevelTarget", {newLoadlevelTarget = "30"}, 6)

But nothing happens.
Am i missing something?

I actually had problems getting this to work.  Make sure you are using the proper Device ID from the "advanced" tab. For me it showed an ID on the general tab that was different from the advanced tab.  This might help you get things to work.

Offline Bric

« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2014, 12:08:16 pm »
Hi,

But nothing happens.
Am i missing something?

I actually had problems getting this to work.  Make sure you are using the proper Device ID from the "advanced" tab. For me it showed an ID on the general tab that was different from the advanced tab.  This might help you get things to work.

Yes! This was the problem! I discovered it 2 weeks ago. Haha
Thanks for help!

Offline 4Crawler

« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2014, 07:12:52 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with the smart energy switch/appliance module (SES) with bi-directional power flow?  I wired up one for a test on a passive load, I get the expected power reading for the SES.  However, when I connect the SES to an active load (a grid tied micro inverter connected to a solar panel) I can turn the "load" on and off fine.  But when the inverter feeds power back through the SES into the house grid, I only see "0W" reported in the UI5 display.  I have contacted the Aeotec support folks but am still waiting to hear back. 

I can read back the inverter power with a Kill-a-watt or Ensupra power meter, so I know I am getting the power out of the device.  I did try reversing "line" and "load" connections, putting the inverter on the "line" side.  However, that won't work as the inverter won't turn on unless it "sees" the grid power and the SES won't turn on unless it has power on the line side.  This would be a great device to use to both monitor power output and switch the inverter on and off.  Was hoping there might be some undocumented device setting beyond what is available:
- http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/uploads/resources/1f5c804cf92d4797dda2d142a452035ba0aefe99.pdf

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2014, 05:18:17 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with the smart energy switch/appliance module (SES) with bi-directional power flow?  I wired up one for a test on a passive load, I get the expected power reading for the SES.  However, when I connect the SES to an active load (a grid tied micro inverter connected to a solar panel) I can turn the "load" on and off fine.  But when the inverter feeds power back through the SES into the house grid, I only see "0W" reported in the UI5 display.  I have contacted the Aeotec support folks but am still waiting to hear back. 

I can read back the inverter power with a Kill-a-watt or Ensupra power meter, so I know I am getting the power out of the device.  I did try reversing "line" and "load" connections, putting the inverter on the "line" side.  However, that won't work as the inverter won't turn on unless it "sees" the grid power and the SES won't turn on unless it has power on the line side.  This would be a great device to use to both monitor power output and switch the inverter on and off.  Was hoping there might be some undocumented device setting beyond what is available:
- http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/uploads/resources/1f5c804cf92d4797dda2d142a452035ba0aefe99.pdf

I'm very curious about your setup and use. I'm looking at Enphase Micro inverters in a grid tied system. You wanting to conrtol the on and off of this, leads me to believe you have a small separate system you trying to control? I see the purpose of monitoring the watts produced, but what would be the purpose to have z-wave turn off capabilities?

Also using my SES (I only have one) I have found it doesn't seem to read accurate to me. Mine only controls one LED light bulb in a small walk in pantry. It's a can light, BR30 LED bulb, that's rated at 9.5w (according to the manufacture). But my SES reads 14w. Now I could be totally wrong as I should put a multimeter and check (maybe the light bulb is really pulling 14w instead of the 9.5w its rated at) but since I don't really care to know how much that one bulb is really pulling I never did any further investigation. 

Point or question is, has anyone checked to see how accurate these really are? For a solar project I'm thinking I would want to me more accurate then what these are.

Offline 4Crawler

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2014, 05:46:29 pm »
I'm very curious about your setup and use. I'm looking at Enphase Micro inverters in a grid tied system. You wanting to conrtol the on and off of this, leads me to believe you have a small separate system you trying to control? I see the purpose of monitoring the watts produced, but what would be the purpose to have z-wave turn off capabilities?

Also using my SES (I only have one) I have found it doesn't seem to read accurate to me. Mine only controls one LED light bulb in a small walk in pantry. It's a can light, BR30 LED bulb, that's rated at 9.5w (according to the manufacture). But my SES reads 14w. Now I could be totally wrong as I should put a multimeter and check (maybe the light bulb is really pulling 14w instead of the 9.5w its rated at) but since I don't really care to know how much that one bulb is really pulling I never did any further investigation. 

Point or question is, has anyone checked to see how accurate these really are? For a solar project I'm thinking I would want to me more accurate then what these are.

Have not really checked the accuracy although it seems to be reasonable for the printer I attached mine to for testing.  I find that some of these power monitoring devices only use a simple current measurement then multiply by a voltage to get power.  But that ignores power factor, so they are actually measuring Volt-Amperes (VA) instead of Watts.  Your LED bulb may have a poor power factor and the SES is picking up on that.  I know the Aeon Home Energy Meter (at least the G1 version I have) is that way.  I can plug in a 30uF motor run capacitor into an outlet and I see the "power" reading on the HEM jump up a hundred watts or so.

That said, I was looking at the SES as a relatively low cost, on-line power monitor, the switching capability is more of a side benefit.  Looking at something like the HEM, you get two circuits monitored for roughly $100 with no switching capability.  With the SES, you could potentially get monitor+control for around $35/circuit.  Although I could see using that to control local power generation if you are unable to backfeed the utility.  But if the SES can't be made to monitor power flowing in both directions, it is only useful for switching.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2014, 06:40:43 pm »
Have not really checked the accuracy although it seems to be reasonable for the printer I attached mine to for testing.  I find that some of these power monitoring devices only use a simple current measurement then multiply by a voltage to get power.  But that ignores power factor, so they are actually measuring Volt-Amperes (VA) instead of Watts.  Your LED bulb may have a poor power factor and the SES is picking up on that.  I know the Aeon Home Energy Meter (at least the G1 version I have) is that way.  I can plug in a 30uF motor run capacitor into an outlet and I see the "power" reading on the HEM jump up a hundred watts or so.

That said, I was looking at the SES as a relatively low cost, on-line power monitor, the switching capability is more of a side benefit.  Looking at something like the HEM, you get two circuits monitored for roughly $100 with no switching capability.  With the SES, you could potentially get monitor+control for around $35/circuit.  Although I could see using that to control local power generation if you are unable to backfeed the utility.  But if the SES can't be made to monitor power flowing in both directions, it is only useful for switching.

Sounds fair enough. I'm always looking for fun, interesting, and innovative ideas on how to use this new tech. When you mentioned microinverters and some z-wave devices I was curious on how they were being used together and for what purpose so I can steal your idea ofcourse. LOL

Offline 4Crawler

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2014, 07:15:57 pm »
Sounds fair enough. I'm always looking for fun, interesting, and innovative ideas on how to use this new tech. When you mentioned microinverters and some z-wave devices I was curious on how they were being used together and for what purpose so I can steal your idea ofcourse. LOL

Basically just that, solar panel to inverter to some sort of measure/control device to safety disconnect/fuse/breaker to house wiring.  Just something to monitor energy production and possibly switch inverter on and off.  I have a solar battery system and am looking at ways to use solar power once the batteries are topped off to power loads in the house. So rather than switching in the DC voltage to the inverter, just switch the AC side of the inverter and let it sync up.  For now just trying out some options and unless the SES can be made to monitor power in and well as out, that may not be feasible.

The other option I'm looking at is an inverter w/ transfer switch to function as a UPS system.  During the day, solar power will run the inverter, then at night, it switches to utility power and if that fails, switches to battery power for some smaller loads in the house like a computer and NAS.  So again, would be nice to have a way of monitoring that power use.  Right now I use a GE outdoor switch module there but that can't monitor power.  So the SES would be great to use to be able to record power out of the inverter and subtract out what came in from the utility.  I may be able to do this with two SES modules, one for the utility power and one for the combined utility+inverter power.

Offline Juan

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2014, 05:45:03 pm »
I think that all of you know Aeon modules so just a question about Aeon Swtich.
I've not found anywhere the data about power consumption in standby of these modules. All others manufacturers give these data in technical specifications except Aeon. Does anybody know this data?

Tanks