Author Topic: PowerMax to Vera Plus Connection Issue  (Read 805 times)

Offline bjules

Re: PowerMax to Vera Plus Connection Issue
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 07:44:09 pm »
Thanks for that info, it's very encouraging! I have not had time yet to try your files, but I did capture them and downloaded all of my similar files for backup. Will try when time allows.

Offline bjules

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:32 pm »
I tried uploading your app files. One time I actually got the message "Reading panel data" and after that, for the first time, under devices it showed Mode: Powerlink. Under zones it showed the one zone I had set up and it had read the panel serial number correctly. However, the display was still standard, not the Powerlink mode displays like it shows int he setup file. After getting that working with the PowerMax Pro panel in my office near my Vera Plus, I moved the PowerMax panel upstairs to where I normally have it installed, replacing my old one. Since moving it up there I have not been able to repeat that success. In fact, under devices it now says Mode: Unknown. I get Vera SMS and email notifications saying that the PowerMax panel is responding again and that it is reliably connected. But now under zones it doesn't even show the zone I have set up and it doesn't read the serial number either.

Is it important to use the correct version of ethernet cabling/wiring (e.g. crossover, straight, rollover) and if so, which should be used to make the connection from my Dual RS232 module to my ethernet-to-serial-to-USB converter? I have straight through now.

I was never able to get communication to the panel going with the serial to usb converter I got from EuroX10. I got a prolific unit and that is the one I've had any success with. However, I'm concerned that it may not have an FTDI chipset. I've ordered a USB2920 unit that has an FTDI chipset to try out. Won't have it until late next week.

It seems to me I may have a hardware problem either with my Vera Plus, my Dual RS232 module my serial to USB converter or with my PowerMax Pro panel, which is brand new. 

The only software problem I can fathom being the problem, since I've uploaded all of you app files, is that I'm running firmware version 1.7.3532, whereas you are using 1.7.3501 I believe. Could that be the problem?

Offline Isablend

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 10:52:17 am »
I'm on firmware 1.7.3501.

It sounds like there is a connection issue which might be down to a number of different things, cabling or possibly the connection, which means I'm a little in the dark.  The fact that you're sometimes getting some form of message indicates that.

Offline bjules

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 02:23:34 pm »
I agree it seems like that is the problem. I verified the ethernet cable from upstairs where my Visonic panel is usually mounted to where it exits in my office using an ethernet cable checker. I even included the cable from the wall to the ethernet-to-serial adapter. So if it is a connection problem, it is either the ethernet-to-serial adapter (just a hardware adapter, so unlikely I think), the serial-to-usb converter, or the Dual RS232 module. Everything else has been verified. I thought it possibly could be noise induced in the long ethernet cable from upstairs to down, but I brought the panel back down to my office and it is still unresponsive. I think something in the communication link has now failed because I don't get even as much response now as I have in the past. I will probably wait until I get the new serial-USB converter as my next step. If that doesn't do it, then ordering a new Dual RS232 module would be the next step. However...

I have been having another communication problem with my Vera. I have a GoControl Smart Plug-in for Appliances, which I have successfully paired with my Vera, but within a day after pairing, I start getting "Can't detect device" messages from Vera. I contacted customer support and they recommended unpairing the device, then resetting it to factory defaults and repairing it. All of that went well, except, within a day or so I started getting the "Cant detect device" messages. I'm wondering if I might have a defective Vera. Any thoughts?

Offline bjules

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 05:59:27 pm »
Hello isablend
I've finally had some luck. First, using the same RS232 module and USB-to-serial-to-ethernet signal chain I've been using with Vera, I connected my new PowerMax Pro panel to my computer and was able to get it to communicate with the Powermaster software, which brought up all of the Powermax settings. Based on this, I was convinced that the problem was not in the communication link. My next piece of luck was getting in touch with a Vera tech who was somewhat Visonic conversant apparently. He initially fixed my communication problem with my GoControl switch and I have not had any recurrence of the "Can't detect device" messages that had previously plagued me. He then showed me how to "Reload Engine" under the Z-Wave settings. Doing that causes the Vera app to read the panel settings and to come up with all of my sensor and device settings but, unfortunately, in standard mode, not Powerlink mode.  I have tried uploading all of your app files and then reloading the engine, but it still comes up in standard mode.

The technician thought Powerlink mode was only available with UI5. I thought you had told me you are running UI7 and that your PowerMax panel comes up in Powerlink mode with screens that look like those in the setup guide. Is that correct? Do you have any insights as to why I'm still not going into Powerlink mode? The technician offered further assistance. If I am able to tell him, with certainty, that you are running UI7 and are in Powerlink mode that would be helpful (but only if that is, indeed the case!). Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Isablend

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 08:25:30 am »
I'm definitely on U17 (1.7.3501).

I've taken some screen snapshots to the powerlink panel settings, hopefully they will be useful.

Offline bjules

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 02:26:00 pm »
Thanks for the screen shots. They look similar to my screens. I've attached a couple of screen shots from the setup guide for comparison ( I couldn't figure out how to insert them like you did?)

My first screen shot is comparable to your third screen. My second screen shot is comparable to your second screen. Did your screens ever look like these as shown in the setup guide? e.g. back when UI5 was still in use?  Also, on screen 2, all of the Powerlink options appear to be greyed out on your screen like they are on mine, whereas on the screenshots from the user's guide the buttons are shown as buttons with the color (light blue/dark blue) indicating off/on status and presumably those buttons worked, whereas my buttons do not function to change status.

My third screen shot shows my zones panel. All of my zones from 1 - 17 are in use, but zones 1,2 and 4-8 show up as "unused", whereas they are actually in use. The status on all other buttons is shown correctly, including the motion zones.  Also the note at the bottom says "Zones cannot be changed because 'Auto-create devices option' is On"....  This refers to your and my second screen where all of the buttons are greyed out. Do your buttons work? and do you get this message on your Zones screen?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Isablend

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 05:13:21 am »
Hi, I've never been on U15, but yes the one element I cannot currently select are the buttons on screen shot 2, however the zones can be changed so the auto create option is clearly set as off, so no message about not being selectable.  The drop down options do however work.