We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Brultech ECM-1240 Energy Monitor  (Read 53840 times)

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Brultech ECM-1240 Energy Monitor
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2013, 05:44:11 am »
@2pesimmon,
For reference, see the HTTP option listed in the screenshots of the ECM-1240 config tools here:
    http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_brultech-power-monitor/wiki/Installation-ECM1240

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded and set the ECM tool V2.8. Surprisingly, there is no option to setup the packet format! Maybe
i need to update the firmeware

Offline 2pesimmon

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2013, 02:07:43 am »
Thank you for your response.

I found another app, that has  settings for http. It is called ECM1240 Interface Application.

I have attached all my settings. I get some non ASCII characters on xbee communication (as it can be seen on the figures), but I am not sure why. Vera still does not show the power.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2013, 06:06:07 am »
Third screen in the setup instructions link I provided above.  Doesn't matter what host is added there since the unit cannot call out of the network, but a value MUST be specified there.

Offline 2pesimmon

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:07 pm »
Guessed, thank you for your support.

The third screen in the setup matches mine ( which is default settings).
I am not sure what the first screen is though. In my case, it is completely blank.

My firmware is 1.025, which is older than that of yours. I haven't been able to find the newer firmware.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »
When I look at your output:
    http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5518.0;attach=9848;image

...it really looks like the 3rd screen really hasn't been filled in.

The POST Root URL & POST URL Extension bits of this:
    http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_brultech-power-monitor/attachment/wiki/Installation-ECM1240/BrultechECMIA2.png

Basically the Brultech devices "glue" the pieces of the URL-like string together, and then they emit it onto the Serial bus.  In this case, the two parts that look corrupted are the "POST Root URL" and "POST URL Extension".

Even though we're not going to actually go out to an internet service with this data, these components need to be filled in (and the values shown in the screenshot link are good enough for this purpose)

If these are the same, please provide (1-1) screen captures matching the ones presented.  You already have the 2nd one (the ECM-1240 Setup screen) but it's possible that one of the others is whacked.

These screenshots are from @ChrisAZ's environment.  I'm not sure what FW version mine were on, but that's always a possibility.

You may want to ping Ben on the Brultech forums to see if there's a material difference in these versions that would impact the output of these sections in a ECM-1240 configured for HTTP.  They're very responsive to questions on their forum.

Offline 2pesimmon

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2013, 01:32:23 am »
I think you are right about the URLs. My third screen looks like yours. HOWEVER, when I press the read button it shows "timeout error" . When I press the write button it shows timeout as well. It seems to me that URLs are shown in the screen but they are not actually written to the unit. And for whatever reason, the unit shows timeout error reading or writing URLs. Otherwise the unit functions properly, as I have used it in Homeseer before.

Thanks again!

Offline 2pesimmon

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2013, 02:24:26 pm »
Guesses,

I set the URL variables, and it is working. Ben, said the unit is busy, that's why it gives timeout. I started fresh, and setup the URLs, without activating any other service (like real-time or Zigbee search) on the ECM1240 unit.

Here is the link from ECM1240 forum.

Thanks.

Offline signal15

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:12 am »
Just a note, be careful upgrading.  Mine bricked due a bug in the bootloader on the earlier versions.  Brultech fixed it for free, but I still had to ship it Canada. I also upgraded my Xbee interface and that seems bricked now also.

Offline tawollen

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »
Is anyone still using this plug-in? it seems like it hasn't been updated in a long time.

I just installed a couple ECM-1240 modules and a digi xbee -> ethernet gateway, but nothing works. There doesn't seem to be good documentation anymore. Hoping someone can give some hints on how to get it set up and get data into my vera.

Thanks

Offline scyto

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2015, 04:21:18 pm »
did you get it working?

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »
It's in the App Store, and the doc to setup is still on http://code.mios.com

From a configuration standpoint, the most common mistake users make is to forget to change the ECM-1240/GEM settings to use HTTP-style URL's instead of their native/default Binary format.

That said, I stopped recommending it to people because Vera is far too resource limited, and it's all too easy for users to make their systems unstable with a small # of active plugins.  This plugin is very active when using a GEM since, by default, those units are configured to sample every 5 seconds (can be reconfigured)

Offline scyto

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2015, 07:00:32 pm »
Thanks, I have it installed and I am pointing it at my GEM which is configured to output Primary (Com1) Packet Format on port 8000.

My GEM is configured to send packets every 15 seconds. I configured the plug-in to get all 32 channels.  Lets see what that does to perf on the vera edge! Guess I should login and do a top?

On the GEM I set the packet format to 3 (HTTP Get) and set the packet format fields to the my1240 paramerters.  Done that and I am now getting data.

If anyone is interested I will write up a complete how to.   But beware UI7 is still flaky as s**t (way better than when I got the vera3 that went back to amazon months ago because I never got it working) - I have only had this Vera Edge up and running for the last couple of hours, seems way better, but the code for entering variables is shoddy and doesn't work properly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:25:25 pm by scyto »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2015, 08:31:05 pm »
It's in a GET style.  The plugin works out the format differences between the GEM and ECM-1240 GET style requests, but that format isn't the default option for either the GEM or the ECM

Offline scyto

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2015, 09:05:00 pm »
It's in a GET style.  The plugin works out the format differences between the GEM and ECM-1240 GET style requests, but that format isn't the default option for either the GEM or the ECM

Sure but with the fields completely empty in the GEM UI it didn't work at all, I added the entries for my1240 and then it worked, I wonder if you plug-in doesn't like those fields being null in the packet?

Offline sym857

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2015, 03:10:43 am »
Hi scyto,

I would be interested in a how to my edge doesn't want to set the port, cant see what I've done wrong at the moment.

Steve