Author Topic: Australian Vera skill  (Read 4620 times)

Offline dJOS

Re: Australian Vera skill
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 03:51:19 am »
Impatiently twiddling my thumbs!! . . .

Me too!
HAC: Vera Plus & Hass.io | Voice Control: Amazon echo's | Z-Wave Devices: Aeotec Smart Switches etc & Garage Door Opener | Thermostats: nest's

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 05:30:03 am »
Slight update, so until now, we've updated the Vera portal and the Vera Helper plugin on the customer's units with support for Alexa V3. But as far as I understood from the Alexa team, it might take up to a week or two for the Skill to be analyzed by Amazon and make it available in their stores. We're almost there...

Thank your for the patience
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline dJOS

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 05:33:38 am »
Slight update, so until now, we've updated the Vera portal and the Vera Helper plugin on the customer's units with support for Alexa V3. But as far as I understood from the Alexa team, it might take up to a week or two for the Skill to be analyzed by Amazon and make it available in their stores. We're almost there...

Thank your for the patience

Ok, thanks for letting us know. I'm looking forward to decommissioning my ha-bridge.
HAC: Vera Plus & Hass.io | Voice Control: Amazon echo's | Z-Wave Devices: Aeotec Smart Switches etc & Garage Door Opener | Thermostats: nest's

Offline markd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 05:37:30 pm »
Sorin, off topic I know but how have you updated the helper plugin without customer intervention and without a new FW release?

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 04:19:43 am »
Hello Markd

The plugin is updated automatically if your checkbox for Auto Updates of the plugin is checked, which it is, by default.
If it's not, once you go to the plugin details it will tell you there is a new version.

Something like:

App id :8840
Current Version:1.36
Latest Version1.36

1.36 being the latest V3 capable plugin.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline markd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 12:25:30 pm »
Ok thanks for the info

Offline rweisback

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2018, 09:07:40 am »
Vera for Australian Alexa now available.

Offline dJOS

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 05:36:48 pm »
Vera for Australian Alexa now available.

So it is, awesome!

Offline dJOS

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 06:41:47 pm »
Ok so the new Vera skill works great!!! It definitely has slightly lower latency than my previous solution (HA-Bridge) and now I ca control my Nest's using Alexa via Vera too!

However I've found an issue, my Vera and Echo's are all configured to use Metric (you know the base 10 system that actually makes sense) .... but my Nest Temps show as Fahrenheit in the Alexa App. I can still issue temp changes in metric, without specifying Celsius, but it'd be nice if the set-point was in the correct format.

oh and I have a question, I excluded a couple of devices during initial Vera Control skill setup, how do I add them back in later on if I want to? NVM, I found the Manage Alexa options.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:45:00 pm by dJOS »

Offline HSD99

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 06:48:37 pm »
Ok so the new Vera skill works great!!! It definitely has slightly lower latency than my previous solution (HA-Bridge) and now I ca control my Nest's using Alexa via Vera too!

However I've found an issue, my Vera and Echo's are all configured to use Metric (you know the base 10 system that actually makes sense) .... but my Nest Temps show as Fahrenheit in the Alexa App. I can still issue temp changes in metric, without specifying Celsius, but it'd be nice if the set-point was in the correct format.

oh and I have a question, I excluded a couple of devices during initial Vera Control skill setup, how do I add them back in later on if I want to? NVM, I found the Manage Alexa options.
Actually, for humans, Fahrenheit makes more sense. Here's why:

Faherenheit

0 - pretty cold     100 - pretty hot

Celsius

0 - kinda cold      100 - dead

Kelvin

0 - dead              100 - dead

;)

Offline dJOS

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 07:04:12 pm »

Faherenheit

Celsius

Kelvin

;)

I was referring more to the length, distance etc measurements, they make no sense at all compared to Metric in which everything is multiples of 10.  8)

However in Temperature, 0 Celsius = equals water freezing (aka known as bl@@dy cold) so that makes sense, and 100 Celsius = water boiling, so that also makes a lot of sense. 100F is just silly because here in Straya' we spend huge chunks of our Summer, here in the southern States, well over 110F or 44c - using Fahrenheit just seems a bit melodramatic!   ;D

Offline HSD99

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 10:51:53 pm »

Faherenheit

Celsius

Kelvin

;)

I was referring more to the length, distance etc measurements, they make no sense at all compared to Metric in which everything is multiples of 10.  8)

However in Temperature, 0 Celsius = equals water freezing (aka known as bl@@dy cold) so that makes sense, and 100 Celsius = water boiling, so that also makes a lot of sense. 100F is just silly because here in Straya' we spend huge chunks of our Summer, here in the southern States, well over 110F or 44c - using Fahrenheit just seems a bit melodramatic!   ;D

I'm a physicist so I agree 100% with the ease of use of metric units of measure, and C for scientific temperature measurement. I live in the Pacific Northwestern US, and winter temperatures in some areas are far below Fahrenheit zero in winter and well above 100F in summer. The scale of Fahrenheit is more human friendly as you have to get really cold before you have negative temperatures, and a temperature over 100 conveys the message that it's really hot.  It's totally about the drama!  ;D

Offline dJOS

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:57 pm »
I'm a physicist so I agree 100% with the ease of use of metric units of measure, and C for scientific temperature measurement. I live in the Pacific Northwestern US, and winter temperatures in some areas are far below Fahrenheit zero in winter and well above 100F in summer. The scale of Fahrenheit is more human friendly as you have to get really cold before you have negative temperatures, and a temperature over 100 conveys the message that it's really hot.  It's totally about the drama!  ;D

I've got a wife and daughter so I already have all the drama I need in my life. ;D

Offline mios.toddbt

• Connected Objects
  • Master Member
  • NaN
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2018, 02:40:49 am »
The Alexa app has settings of its own regarding Fahrenheit or Celsius, under This Device.

Please check to see if it's set to Celsius.

Thanks.

Offline dJOS

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2018, 02:47:08 am »
The Alexa app has settings of its own regarding Fahrenheit or Celsius, under This Device.

Please check to see if it's set to Celsius.

Thanks.

I hate to be snarky, but If you read my post you'd know this is the case for every echo. It was the first thing I checked.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:48:49 am by dJOS »