Author Topic: Why does geofencing hate me?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Jamr

Re: Why does geofencing hate me?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 02:29:34 pm »
This is how I diagnose on Android.
Open Vera's app and go to the geofencing section and edit your geofence.
Click save and in Android it will keep the map open with you at the center of your geofence.
Leave your house and watch your location leave your geofence. Make sure it keeps a consistent, accurate location of yourself when leaving your fence.
If it does, it is a communication problem. if not, it is probably a GPS problem.

I would also make sure your fence is at least 150 meters or more.

Hope that helps.

Offline ckohouse

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »
After recreating my geozone and scene and studying the results for a few weeks. I have found that the geozone is triggering my geozone scene 80%+ of the time. Another 20% of door unlock failures are due to the time lag related to evaluating time constraints within the PLEG (< 1 minute). I basically park the car and get to the door before the unlock scene is triggered. Is there a way to force the evaluation of a statement immediately based on one event taking place? i.e. the garage door opened; evaluate the expression. Below is my PLEG statement. The time limitations were added base on experiences to eliminated the door (and entry light) from unlocking/turning on when I am leaving.

(InsideGZone1; NOW < 4:00) AND ( Garage_Door_Open ; NOW < 4:00) and Garage_Door_Open and (FrontDoorLocked; NOW > 5:00) and FrontDoorLocked

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 08:18:59 pm »
I do not use geofencing but iPhone Locator and PLEG. When I open the garage door, the trigger refreshes iPhone Locator, and refreshes again every minute for 5 minutes. I do the multiple refreshes to check to see if we are gone to set the house mode to Away.

But I find it is also about 80% effective.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:50:07 pm by Don Phillips »
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb

Offline MtView

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 06:13:41 am »
After recreating my geozone and scene and studying the results for a few weeks. I have found that the geozone is triggering my geozone scene 80%+ of the time. Another 20% of door unlock failures are due to the time lag related to evaluating time constraints within the PLEG (< 1 minute). I basically park the car and get to the door before the unlock scene is triggered. Is there a way to force the evaluation of a statement immediately based on one event taking place? i.e. the garage door opened; evaluate the expression. Below is my PLEG statement. The time limitations were added base on experiences to eliminated the door (and entry light) from unlocking/turning on when I am leaving.

(InsideGZone1; NOW < 4:00) AND ( Garage_Door_Open ; NOW < 4:00) and Garage_Door_Open and (FrontDoorLocked; NOW > 5:00) and FrontDoorLocked

I use a virtual switch per user as a trigger when entering or exiting a geofence zone.  VS is turned on when entering and off when exiting. 

Offline Inzax

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »
For what it's worth...after today's server upgrade my geofence stopped working.  It would report me leaving and entering along with a message it could not communicate with the Vera Server. 

Calling tech report confirmed that this is a known issue after this morning's "hardware upgrade."  (Or what some would more appropriately call a downgrade. ;))

Trying to get geofence working with this new information may prove futile.  It would be nice if there was some sort of official announcement of known issues as they are discovered.

EDIT: Not that I doubted Vera but I deleted cache, settings via app interface.  Force stop on the app.  Restarted phone, logged in.  Geofence is working.  Perhaps something to do with the new hardware upgrade?  Not sure, but a little dismayed vera tech support could not figure this out.  They are usually very good.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:45:01 pm by Inzax »
Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline ckohouse

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 07:12:15 pm »

I found a much simpler solution and it opens the door 90% of the time. My virtual switch triggers on when I enter the geozone but will set itself to off after 5 minutes. This give me a five minute window to open the garage door which triggers the door unlock, light on, AND sets the virtual switch back to off. Resetting the switch eliminates inadvertent unlocking/light on when I am leaving. So the new PLEG condition is as follows:

InsideGZone1 and (InsideGZone1; Garage_Door_Open) and FrontDoorLocked

(InsideGZone1; Garage_Door_Open) is to eliminate the door unlocking if I am returning (or at a neighbors) and the garage door was left open.
Since I eliminated the NOW comparisons, it triggers immediately upon opening the garage.
Simpler is better.

Offline MtView

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:51 am »
While I was trying to figure out why geofencing worked more for my iPhone than my wife's, I found that when the iPhone goes into low power mode at 20% battery it turns off background app refresh. This would explain why the geofence worked 80% of the time for her.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 05:57:26 pm »
While I was trying to figure out why geofencing worked more for my iPhone than my wife's, I found that when the iPhone goes into low power mode at 20% battery it turns off background app refresh. This would explain why the geofence worked 80% of the time for her.

Yes I agree that every mobile OS and phone is different so getting the same results from every piece of hardware and software platform is next to impossible.
I quit advertising it as a feature and more of a "If it works for You" item.
Sad, because it is awesome when it works great.

Offline Inzax

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 08:01:26 pm »

I had to exempt the vera app from power conservation on the droid.  Perhaps this is an option on Iphone?
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline MtView

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:05 am »

I had to exempt the vera app from power conservation on the droid.  Perhaps this is an option on Iphone?

That's a good idea.  I'll check it out.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 11:46:29 am »

I rarely run my phone down to that level so I have never experienced this.
I went into my battery settings and pulled up a settings page that showed each app has an "Optimize" option. (Android 6.1)
Is this what you are talking about?

Offline Inzax

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 06:19:41 pm »
@Jamr.  Yes.  I believe so.  In Android 7.0 I have the option of selecting the vera app and opting for it to be "unmonitored."  These options are under the battery selection in settings.