We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Can I set Thermostat temperature with Camera Motion trigger  (Read 925 times)

Offline pbrisebois

Can I set Thermostat temperature with Camera Motion trigger
« on: October 13, 2016, 09:47:19 am »
Hi Everyone,

For now, I have my Evolve Thermostat set at 22 deg from 7am to 3pm, and at 24 deg from 3pm to 7am. However, there are times that someone is at home from 7am to 3pm. I have a VistaCam pt installed in the living room.

What I would like to do is to raise the thermostat to 24 deg if someone is at home by using the motion sensor that is in the VistaCam to trigger this.

Is this possible, if so, how do I do it?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Can I set Thermostat temperature with Camera Motion trigger
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 10:10:47 am »
Setback thermostats are  kinda of a "1st" generation home automation.
If you are on a regular schedule ... that is perfect ... in fact it's best to change the temperature before you actually leave or arrive.

For people that have an irregular schedule, today's smart homes you would set the thermostat  based on weather the home is occupied or not.
That's a more complicated setup ...
If there is activity, as detected by motion,  some one is home, or your dog is up and about, or your house is being robbed :)
The absence of motion does not mean you are not home ... you may be sleeping ... or binge TV watching :)

If all members have cell phones, a strategy is to detect if ALL phones are gone or ANY phone is home.

Offline Nameless

Re: Can I set Thermostat temperature with Camera Motion trigger
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 10:36:00 am »
Setback thermostats are  kinda of a "1st" generation home automation.
If you are on a regular schedule ... that is perfect ... in fact it's best to change the temperature before you actually leave or arrive.

For people that have an irregular schedule, today's smart homes you would set the thermostat  based on weather the home is occupied or not.
That's a more complicated setup ...
If there is activity, as detected by motion,  some one is home, or your dog is up and about, or your house is being robbed :)
The absence of motion does not mean you are not home ... you may be sleeping ... or binge TV watching :)

If all members have cell phones, a strategy is to detect if ALL phones are gone or ANY phone is home.

Also, check out the "IF" app on Android or iOS. I can set my thermostat to change if a package is delivered (though there is no need), so I'm sure there are some geofencing options there for you if Vera won't provide you with a good option.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk